Author Topic: Avast 5 - Big Disappointment  (Read 21064 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast 5 - Big Disappointment
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 10:06:02 AM »
TSRI, Snagglegrain and others who are still having problems with avast 5: we're very sorry to hear that! It's always very difficult to asses when a software product is ready to be shipped. Fortunately, we're not the type of company that absolutely needs to follow fixed deadlines (and release half-baked products), but on the other hand, you can't keep the product unreleased forever. The beta program was running for over 6 months. Before we launched, we even did a satisfaction survey, and the vast majority of those who responded thought it was good to go. At that time, the beta build was installed on almost 1 million systems worldwide.

Now, after the initial launch (especially with the help of people like you), we identified quite a few problems and worked hard on fixing them. We will be releasing another program update today, which will hopefully fix the remaining known issues (there's a pre-release build of this new version available for download - 5.0.415; check out the other sticky thread for details).

We take the customer feedback very seriously (good or bad).

Logos, I'm frustrated (or should I say disappointed?) by the way you have been handling some of the communication here lately. I mean, you have been very helpful (especially during the beta testing), and we appreciate that. But there's really no need to post to threads to which you have really nothing to add (such as this). I mean, just read some of your posts: you do feel like a true fanboy. And fanboyism is definitely not the style we want to follow. Just refrain from posting anything non-technical, and everything will be fine. OK?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hermite15

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 10:21:04 AM »
@ Vlk: I understand you let go here to avoid losing customers; as to the "fanboy" comment, does it really help ? I mean does that make people who offended Avast (in this thread) feel better about Avast and the ex-symantec employee because you call me a fanboy? You're disappointed? What do you think I'm thinking about you right now? what's better, a fan boy or an hypocrite panicking and adding what to this thread, a few words to save a sinking boat?

ps:I helped just during the beta testing? you should read the threads here a bit more, and count the number of times when your crew is not there and some of us users are helping your customers and users.

edit: as to the content of my posts I'll judge this myself. Feel free to delete or ban, you got the admin keys... ;D

edit: satisfactory survey was good about the "free" version only. Surveys about "pro" and "AIS" were not good at all >>> unfinished components, interesting, but work in progress imo and a few others' too. I stopped the testing of AIS very early, and came back to it after the official release, which unfortunately confirmed my first impressions.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:50:44 PM by Logos »

RugbyPete

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 10:47:12 AM »
Never managed to register any?  I think youve had bad luck there.

Ive upgraded, fresh installed both Pro and home editions without any problems

Im not too keen on the new colour scheme or the website either I must admit but I stil lfeel its a more complete product than before.

The old engine was slippign a bit int he vb100 averages, im hoping to see some improvement.

At the  end of the day you have two options, go paid (nod32) or go MSE.

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 03:05:51 PM »
We take the customer feedback very seriously (good or bad).
Hi Vlk.  I can see that you do.  Thanks for the excellent post and the much-needed words of guidance.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »
Vlk :)

With all respect, but where did TSRI helped you, or anyone else here ? His first post is just one big complaint about almost everything, and his reaction to for example Gizbar, who gave him a good advise for the future, makes no sense at all.  I think TSRI could have been a bit more polite too, don't you think ?

Greetz, Red. ( Also a paying customer )

Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

kaniki

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 06:14:37 PM »
kudos kaniki

well, i guess that means that either i did not get everyone mad over my statement or since almost no one responded, most people skipped my statement. oh well, i guess it was kinda long but wanted to cover things in full, not half baked statements that miss meaning..

as for the "Avast Free registration really doesn't need an email to send to you. It's free. If you need to ever fully reinstall after just register again and you will get another full year from that date." remark from coolsilver.

well, i partly agree. Yes it is free, but there are different situations. I have a computer that uses in a way, 4 different OS's. I have removable hard drive racks and use 2 different drives with duel partitions and OS's on each. One is for everyday use with duel XP and 7 and the other is mainly used for games with duel 98SE and XP. Instead of registering 3 and 4 times, i would prefer to just use the same code for all installs since it is all on the same computer. In instances like that, I do not want to have my name down 4 and 5 times on their system just to activate all versions on all drives and OS's. that is also why i made the remark about it is good and bad. It makes it easy putting it in automatically and much more user friendly. but in cases like mine, copy and paste is easier then filling out the same form 4 times.

coolsilver

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 10:21:52 PM »
I suppose that makes sense. But why bother printing out a key that you type 4 times when you could your email address you don't need any effort to remember or lose track of?

Alwil I suppose may have a better response. I know a home user with 4 OSs on the same pc isn't typical. But I use VMware so possible.

I am sure it can be added in for 5.1

Offline abnesaba007

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »
Sorry if I misunderstood or poorly explained, I've also repaired equipment customers, and in many cases they use cracked systems, in which I have had most problems with some software, and frankly it made me angry that "I will not recommend anyone using avast "as TSR said, many students here do that installing antivirus systems and cracked, which Ovbio generate problems for customers.

I apologize to all those who bother with my post.

I knew I might not express it more clearly, and now with the 5.0.418 version should be solved many problems, so to try and comment on the faults (if any) to be resolved.

kaniki

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
I suppose that makes sense. But why bother printing out a key that you type 4 times when you could your email address you don't need any effort to remember or lose track of?

Alwil I suppose may have a better response. I know a home user with 4 OSs on the same pc isn't typical. But I use VMware so possible.

I am sure it can be added in for 5.1

Type?? copy and paste my friend.. and i agree, 4 on the same PC is unusual. I do that because i do a  duel boot on one drive that i keep just for games, the other drive is for regular use. This way when my system starts getting glitchy from regular use, I can just reinstall and not loose my games, not to mention that the games are not slowed down by other things that run (Instant messengers, printer software, etc.) which makes for a better gaming experience too.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »
Software companies are always forcing people to do a hardware upgrade......but avast doesn't follow that rule and tries its best to be compatible with any hardware....

I like Avast and I saw some blue screens when I was testing the beta but the final versions didn't do any harm and it ran smoothly....

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2010, 12:39:12 PM »
The so called problems with AVast is nothing compared to the problems with other AVs like AVG

Just browse over to their forum and see all the complaints and the rudeness of the moderators

;D ;D

And keep in mind that AVG stable was released long time ago
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:40:47 PM by Chris Thomas »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 01:17:25 PM »
With the best will in the world, a completely re-written version of a program is going to have bugs.

It's perhaps not the best idea to install such software on critical production machines  important work computers and a good idea to let other suckers find the bugs  wait a month or three for any issues to settle, perhaps testing on a non-critical machine.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog