Author Topic: I'm disappointed with avast 4.0  (Read 4844 times)

snooker

I'm disappointed with avast 4.0
« on: June 26, 2004, 04:48:23 AM »
Hi >>> I'm disappointed with your virus scanner ... I just done a virus scan with your anti-virus software and i came back with the result that there wasn't any virus ... Well my computer was  acting funny the mouse was working right , so i then did a free virus scan with another software and it found a virus ... After i remove the virus and rebooted my computer stop acting funny ... This is where the virus was located C:\Windows\system32\InstMe ... this is all i could get out of it ... Thanks so much ... :(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 07:44:08 AM by snooker »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:I'm disappointed with avast 4.0
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 05:22:58 AM »
of course 4.0 will miss the virus. please update your program to 4.1
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Kobra

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 05:25:38 AM »
Err, if its not in the definitions, what makes you think 4.1 would get it too?

Staind

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 05:36:27 AM »
Maybe he doesn't have full updated virus definitions either. Odd for someone to be using a previous version.

Anyways, just to say that no anti virus is perfect.  

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 06:23:12 AM »
snooker would be nice, if you post following informations when wish to see improvements to:

- what version (exact build) and what database build (exact) you used, also your OS details
- what virus was it (name, virus/trojan family)
- what online AntiVirus you used (there are many)
- where exactly it was located etc
- archive infected file (before You removed it) and send over email to Alwil to analyse ( virus@avast.com )

this way we other Avast users know when, where and why failture happened and
Avast authors can analyse what You sent to them to update Avast ...

otherwise (i dont want to be rude but ...) it's just like flaming ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

snooker

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 07:17:10 AM »
Maybe he doesn't have full updated virus definitions either  

Hi ... i had this set to automatically updated ..... Also it would pop up on my screening saying that its be updated ... I used this here http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp and it caught the virus ... now all i got to see was just like the above post thats it ... I just ended up deleting it , I took the advise of a friend to deleted  ... Sorry i couldn't give more to it .... I am using windows xp pro full install with all microsoft updates and i have sygate firewall pro with spyblocker program...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 11:16:51 PM »
If posible, next time, try to zip the file (password protected) and send Alwil for analysis (virus@avast.com). Let's make avast better and better  8)
If, at least, you have the name of the virus or the name of the file we can do more research. By now, we cannot assure that it was an avast fault, a false positive of Trend Micro, etc.
What were your settings at that time? Did you scan inside archives?
The best things in life are free.