Author Topic: Avast 5 froze my computer!  (Read 6257 times)

east yorkie

Avast 5 froze my computer!
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Last week after removing version 4 I did a clean install of Avast 5 (free version) and all went fine, the first full scan took nearly 2 hours but I put that down to it building up the persistent cache as further full scans took about 8 minutes to complete.  The new version updated with no problems and all appeared to be working well.  

Yesterday after running A-Squared (free) and also the free version of Malwarebytes I shut the system down but when I booted-up later I got a pop up saying that Avast was not working.  I attempted to restart Avast but this did not work and the pop up would not go from the screen. I then tried to repair Avast using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel but this did not work and neither did my attempts to restore my computer to an earlier date.  After rebooting in safe mode I managed to get the system working and restore to an earlier date but when rebooting into normal mode it was still not right with most programmes (including Avast and my firewall) remaining frozen.  In the end I had no option but to use the OEM disc to recover the system, I then removed Avast 5 and reinstalled version 4.  I have no other real time software on my system that would interfere with Avast so unless it had something to do with running the stand-alone scans that I have mentioned I have no idea what went wrong, as you will appreciate I am reluctant to try version 5 again.

My OS is Windows XP Home SP3.  
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:58:08 PM by east yorkie »

bobo1

Re: Avast 5 froze my computer!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:27:27 PM »
Could have been A Squared antivirus that had caused your trouble. Avast 5 will not work correctly if there is any remains of other antiviruses on your system. As you have rebuilt your computer. You can get avast old version from www.oldversion.com. What version of 5 were you on at the time as there is at the moment a newer version than 5.0377?! Two antiviruses on a computer will destroy each other and cause the operating system to fail/crash.

I am on the latest edition of V5 and had no faults so far. ::) XP SP3 Fully patched/ Spybot search and destroy.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:34:25 PM by bobo1 »

east yorkie

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:31:15 PM »
I only use the A-Squared as a stand alone on demand scanner the same as I do with Malwarebytes so they should not conflict with Avast.  The version of Avast I installed was 5.0.396 which is the latest release.

bobo1

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:04 AM »
Yes but A squared is a antivirus and malware scanner. The inner workings of both on your system will screw it up!!! You are not ment to have two antiviruses installed on a computer will cause a fight between the two and cause your system to become unstable and later may not start up at all later. Bad practice!!

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 07:01:58 PM »
You can get avast old version from www.oldversion.com.

I can't see any avast on this site. It looks a handy site though - as long as you don't want avast!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:03:46 PM by Geoffo »
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Then try www.filehippo.com that keeps old copies also of avast. Just go to the regular link for the current version of avast and that page has older versions too.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

east yorkie

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »
A-squared is a antivirus and malware scanner. The inner workings of both on your system will screw it up!!! You are not ment to have two antiviruses installed on a computer will cause a fight between the two and cause your system to become unstable and later may not start up at all later. Bad practice!!

I agree with what your saying but I have used both Malwarebytes and A-Squared as stand alone scanners with Avast antivirus installed for the last couple of years without any trouble, it is only with Avast 5 that I have encountered problems.  I was wondering if any other users of Avast 5 have encountered problems with either of these two programms or any other stand alone scanner. I am referring to the free versions which do not have any active shields or similar which would interfere with Avast. 

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:13:55 PM »
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Ericsson

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 02:06:53 AM »
Last week after removing version 4 I did a clean install of Avast 5 (free version) and all went fine, the first full scan took nearly 2 hours but I put that down to it building up the persistent cache as further full scans took about 8 minutes to complete.  The new version updated with no problems and all appeared to be working well.  

Yesterday after running A-Squared (free) and also the free version of Malwarebytes I shut the system down but when I booted-up later I got a pop up saying that Avast was not working.  I attempted to restart Avast but this did not work and the pop up would not go from the screen. I then tried to repair Avast using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel but this did not work and neither did my attempts to restore my computer to an earlier date.  After rebooting in safe mode I managed to get the system working and restore to an earlier date but when rebooting into normal mode it was still not right with most programmes (including Avast and my firewall) remaining frozen.  In the end I had no option but to use the OEM disc to recover the system, I then removed Avast 5 and reinstalled version 4.  I have no other real time software on my system that would interfere with Avast so unless it had something to do with running the stand-alone scans that I have mentioned I have no idea what went wrong, as you will appreciate I am reluctant to try version 5 again.

My OS is Windows XP Home SP3.  

The same at me.. i use XP too and SP3 BUT Avast 5 froze my laptop so bad i immediately removed it and installed back the nice older version 4.8 Free Home Edition!!!!That one is the best!!!!Never freezing or nothing!!!!!Very light!

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 02:22:27 AM »
Hi Ericsson :)

Did you try the latest 5.0.415 build ??? That should solve the freezing issues :)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55365.0

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

east yorkie

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 09:01:54 PM »
Hi, Ericsson,  Thanks for your reply.  What other, if any, anti-virus/malware software do you have installed?  Do you use any stand alone scanners or have any other real time protection on your computer that could interfere with Avast?

I am sure that like myself you will be watching posts from other users with regards to the stability of newer Avast releases before installing them.  Having said that I must say I am looking forward to installing version 5 again as soon as I sure the minor problems have been rectified.

harrys

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 10:10:04 PM »
I put Avast 5 on a new XP install last week, and then upgraded my Avast 4.8 to 5.0.396 on two other XP installations. Did a removal with Revo, and a new install in both cases. All three PC's also had the on-demand Malwarebytes and I've not had any issues after running it. Two were XP Pro and one is XP Home.

No problems here, but agree that if it froze my PC, it would be on my verboten list.

east yorkie

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
Thanks for the info Harrys.  You don't have the free version of a-squared on any of your machines do you?  I know there has been problems with the pro version of Malwarebytes but no mention of any other stand alone scanner causing conflictions.