Author Topic: need help reinstalling avast  (Read 3626 times)

pleasehelpmenow

need help reinstalling avast
« on: February 11, 2010, 09:11:01 PM »
Hi, yesterday was an awful day.I have been running avast 4.8 version Very happily for several months, in which time avast has succsessfully caught, deleted, moved to a chest several trojans. Then yesterday  :'( I was infected and avast didnt cath it, in fact avast was hit by it also and was shut down by it.Making it impossible to even open avast. I tried to uninstall avast, will not let me and tried to reinstall 5.0 version won't let me untill old version is gone. I finally downloaded microsoft security essentials, which found and removed all of them; 1. Trojandownloader:asx/wimad.cn  2.Trojan:java/selace.A 3.Trojan:java/selace.B 4. Trojan:java/selace.D 5. Trojan:java/selace.E  6. Trojan:win32/fakespypro 7. Exploit:java/cve-2008-5353.A 8. Exploit:java/cve-2008-5353.B 9. Exploit:html/repl.d . Now the question; can any one tell me how to unistall avast 4.8, not through control panel add/remove programs, because that will not let me. Thank you to anyone who can help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: need help reinstalling avast
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:25:36 PM »
If reinstalling avast I would suggest you go for the latest avast 5.0 version:
- Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here ensure you get the version4 one, aswClear.exe and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility  from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode[/i].
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »
After all those infections i would download and do a scan with MBAM

pleasehelpmenow

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:56:52 PM »
I would like to thank you "davidr"  the link you gave did uninstall the 4.8 version, "it still shows up in the add and remove programs along with the new version 5.0, but it does not matter to me as long as it allowed me to install the new version and it did.I now have the new version installed and it is working thank you so much.

I would also like to thank you "pondus" I did download mbam and scan my computer it said nothing was infected ;D you were right though, after all that I really did need to check with another utility. Additionally, avast is almost finished scanning and it has found nothing yet.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:11:06 PM »
You're welcome.

You could try CCleaner - Temp File Cleaner, etc. this also has a registry cleaner function that may be able to remove redundant add remove entries.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security