Author Topic: Avast 5 vs Norton Internet Security Suite  (Read 26969 times)

zfactor

Re: Avast 5 vs Norton Internet Security Suite
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 05:27:10 AM »
it has a whitelist and blacklist but on 6 pc's i was never once asked about any program and i did try many ones that were not well known it also fails the grc leaktest unless inn advanced mode lol it actually makes a rule for it to allow it... :o

bdaleypsu

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 05:45:33 AM »
it has a whitelist and blacklist but on 6 pc's i was never once asked about any program and i did try many ones that were not well known it also fails the grc leaktest unless inn advanced mode lol it actually makes a rule for it to allow it... :o

That's not good.  And that was the latest version?

???

Gohoos81

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 05:56:44 AM »

I agree with you about ZoneAlarm free.  It's better than nothing, but it's definitely not that great from what I've seen.  I've tried Comodo's free firewall and that seemed pretty good, although it can be a little "chatty"  at the beginning.

Thanks.

I've used Comodo FP since version 3.0, including before it became Comodo IS, and 3.5.  The last time I used it, I think the installation was v 3.8.  While secure, I found Comodo to be too chatty and more likely than any other firewall I have used to "break" other installations (it broke Acronis, among other things).  I have been much happier with Agnitum Outpost Pro (or free) and now I've used Online Armor for the last 6 months, and I've been very pleased with it.  I am more likely to change my antivirus than Online Armor.  It's whitelist is more extensive than Comodo's, and by default, unknown/untrusted processes can't run without obtaining your permission first.  If you are cautious, keep your system updated (use secunia's free vulnerability inspector), remain intelligent about P2P downloads/programs, I think it's unlikely anything will slip past NIS 2010, and very unlikely anything will get past avast! + a good, free firewall (Comodo, Online Armor, Outpost, probably PC Tools as well).

Windows 7 firewall is not unreasonable, either.  Another option (including 64 bit installations now), if you want a more nimble system, could involve avast! 5 free, windows 7 firewall and sandboxie.  If something gets past avast! and didn't come from a drive-by-download (infected USB thumb drive, for example), I wouldn't expect windows 7 firewall to offer very much in the way of protection.

If I was in your position, since NIS 2010 is complimentary with your broadband service, I would probably run a "custom" installation of NIS 2010, install the antivirus but not firewall components [or deactivate the firewall components], (to see what you would need to uncheck or deactivate, compare the NAV 2010 to NIS 2010 here: http://www.symantec.com/norton/internet-security), and then install a 3rd party free firewall (Outpost or Online Armor, based on my preference) and sandboxie.

If you are looking for the fastest, reasonably secure, free configuration based on the options available to you, then you may choose to do
a) custom install of NIS 2010 (install the AV only), windows 7 firewall, and sandboxie OR
b) avast 5! free, windows 7 firewall, sandboxie (just add sandboxie to your current configuration).

I think all of those options are good, its hard to go wrong.

An example of what not to do might be:
**ZoneAlarm free firewall, CA (computer associates) antivirus, threatfire free (PC Tools), and ZoneAlarm Forcefield.  

That would cover firewall (ZA free), antivirus (CA), HIPS (threatfire), and browser virtualization (Forcefield); would assuredly bring your system to its knees and result in innumerable conflicts.  This configuration relies on a combination of cumbersome security programs, but would probably give you pretty good protection as well.

bdaleypsu

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 05:59:43 AM »

I agree with you about ZoneAlarm free.  It's better than nothing, but it's definitely not that great from what I've seen.  I've tried Comodo's free firewall and that seemed pretty good, although it can be a little "chatty"  at the beginning.

Thanks.

I've used Comodo FP since version 3.0, including before it became Comodo IS, and 3.5.  The last time I used it, I think the installation was v 3.8.  While secure, I found Comodo to be too chatty and more likely than any other firewall I have used to "break" other installations (it broke Acronis, among other things).  I have been much happier with Agnitum Outpost Pro (or free) and now I've used Online Armor for the last 6 months, and I've been very pleased with it.  I am more likely to change my antivirus than Online Armor.  It's whitelist is more extensive than Comodo's, and by default, unknown/untrusted processes can't run without obtaining your permission first.  If you are cautious, keep your system updated (use secunia's free vulnerability inspector), remain intelligent about P2P downloads/programs, I think it's unlikely anything will slip past NIS 2010, and very unlikely anything will get past avast! + a good, free firewall (Comodo, Online Armor, Outpost, probably PC Tools as well).

Windows 7 firewall is not unreasonable, either.  Another option (including 64 bit installations now), if you want a more nimble system, could involve avast! 5 free, windows 7 firewall and sandboxie.  If something gets past avast! and didn't come from a drive-by-download (infected USB thumb drive, for example), I wouldn't expect windows 7 firewall to offer very much in the way of protection.

If I was in your position, since NIS 2010 is complimentary with your broadband service, I would probably run a "custom" installation of NIS 2010, install the antivirus but not firewall components [or deactivate the firewall components], (to see what you would need to uncheck or deactivate, compare the NAV 2010 to NIS 2010 here: http://www.symantec.com/norton/internet-security), and then install a 3rd party free firewall (Outpost or Online Armor, based on my preference) and sandboxie.

If you are looking for the fastest, reasonably secure, free configuration based on the options available to you, then you may choose to do
a) custom install of NIS 2010 (install the AV only), windows 7 firewall, and sandboxie OR
b) avast 5! free, windows 7 firewall, sandboxie (just add sandboxie to your current configuration).

I think all of those options are good, its hard to go wrong.

An example of what not to do might be:
**ZoneAlarm free firewall, CA (computer associates) antivirus, threatfire free (PC Tools), and ZoneAlarm Forcefield.  

That would cover firewall (ZA free), antivirus (CA), HIPS (threatfire), and browser virtualization (Forcefield); would assuredly bring your system to its knees and result in innumerable conflicts.  This configuration relies on a combination of cumbersome security programs, but would probably give you pretty good protection as well.

That's for the info!

coolsilver

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 07:35:01 AM »
I've seen issues with Norton IS in the past with broken network stacks and overall network application issues I rather not recommend it to anyone.

I've used Avast for the past 6 years. Since I've used a few firewalls like zonealarm (disliked) and comodo (better IMO). Currently I use a Yoggie hardware usb firewall. In a sense it uses a low level packet driver like Avast IS currently does but it does so over USB. I have a Small Office/Home Office version as well that has ethernet that protects more than one PC.

Like others I have customized my protection with Malwarebytes and previously Spybot S&D. I tend not to use more than what is needed. I have little need for spam filtering since it is done for me via web based mail providers and I manage our mail system for my company which is filtered fairly well.

I personally never used other products like WinPatrol but if others with a lot experience on these forums and with Avast, I'd go with their recommendations to try a few.

I don't care for Suites, all or nothing protection packages other than convenience of one license. Avast seems pretty good so far as I can tell for their IS product. But it's your system.... Just keep to one type of product (AV and Anti-Malware) for resident protection and mainly others for on demand.

I had issues with Norton many years ago and avoided it like the plague ever since, but from what I've been reading it seems like they're resolved their issues.

Do you have any experience with it recently?

Thanks.

To be honest I have not. A lot of the clients I deal with now are businesses using Symantec Corporate or Endpoint Protection.

I don't always get back into the office to work on home user computers. The last version I recall using having network stack issues was 2008 NIS. Last version with application issues across a small office network was 2009 NIS.

The application issues were simple file and printer sharing trust level issues combined with a Thinkpad with the ThinkVantage network management kept turning key protocols off like file and print sharing.

bdaleypsu

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 08:16:57 AM »
I've seen issues with Norton IS in the past with broken network stacks and overall network application issues I rather not recommend it to anyone.

I've used Avast for the past 6 years. Since I've used a few firewalls like zonealarm (disliked) and comodo (better IMO). Currently I use a Yoggie hardware usb firewall. In a sense it uses a low level packet driver like Avast IS currently does but it does so over USB. I have a Small Office/Home Office version as well that has ethernet that protects more than one PC.

Like others I have customized my protection with Malwarebytes and previously Spybot S&D. I tend not to use more than what is needed. I have little need for spam filtering since it is done for me via web based mail providers and I manage our mail system for my company which is filtered fairly well.

I personally never used other products like WinPatrol but if others with a lot experience on these forums and with Avast, I'd go with their recommendations to try a few.

I don't care for Suites, all or nothing protection packages other than convenience of one license. Avast seems pretty good so far as I can tell for their IS product. But it's your system.... Just keep to one type of product (AV and Anti-Malware) for resident protection and mainly others for on demand.

I had issues with Norton many years ago and avoided it like the plague ever since, but from what I've been reading it seems like they're resolved their issues.

Do you have any experience with it recently?

Thanks.

To be honest I have not. A lot of the clients I deal with now are businesses using Symantec Corporate or Endpoint Protection.

I don't always get back into the office to work on home user computers. The last version I recall using having network stack issues was 2008 NIS. Last version with application issues across a small office network was 2009 NIS.

The application issues were simple file and printer sharing trust level issues combined with a Thinkpad with the ThinkVantage network management kept turning key protocols off like file and print sharing.

OK, thanks.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 08:21:23 AM »
Did I just hear norton ;D?

Thanks but no...I don't like norton even it is free I would prefer avast :)

dansorin

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 09:09:22 AM »
I used NIS2009, avast 4.8 free and avast 5 free, in this order. was really impressed by NIS2009, not the resource hog Norton used to sell. the firewall is very strong, but user-friendly. no hassle from it, but you can be sure it blocks the bad things. avast is also very good, but NIS is better. this is not something you would hear on avast forum.
bottom line, if money is no issue, I would use NIS. no doubt about that.

bdaleypsu

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 09:12:57 AM »
I used NIS2009, avast 4.8 free and avast 5 free, in this order. was really impressed by NIS2009, not the resource hog Norton used to sell. the firewall is very strong, but user-friendly. no hassle from it, but you can be sure it blocks the bad things. avast is also very good, but NIS is better. this is not something you would hear on avast forum.
bottom line, if money is no issue, I would use NIS. no doubt about that.

Thank you.

websurfer0463

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 03:59:47 AM »
  It is due to the NIS being free through Comcast.  I briefly uninstalled the free avast and tried the NIS.  The NIS has more features.  It is free to Comcast customers.  But I had problems with the NIS I did not with the avast.  I had manufacturers' programs disabled.  It was with the NIS installed.  Those programs were enabled and started jumping up.  I had technical problems with the NIS.  I have not with the avast.  I go on a site.  I click a photo on.  A site pops up instead that has threats to my PC.  The avast stops it all the time.  The NIS does not.  It is based on my experience.  I recommend the free avast over the NIS.  I hope this helps.  I suggest testing both.  See which works best for you.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 04:10:45 AM »
Of course it has more features it is a suite as opposed to a stand alone anti-virus that you require a firewall, etc. to compose a suite. A comparative avast product would be Avast Internet Security, but that is a paid product.

So avast free plus a combination of free firewall, etc. is more than up to the task without the associated hassles that you experienced.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bdaleypsu

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 04:23:00 AM »
  It is due to the NIS being free through Comcast.  I briefly uninstalled the free avast and tried the NIS.  The NIS has more features.  It is free to Comcast customers.  But I had problems with the NIS I did not with the avast.  I had manufacturers' programs disabled.  It was with the NIS installed.  Those programs were enabled and started jumping up.  I had technical problems with the NIS.  I have not with the avast.  I go on a site.  I click a photo on.  A site pops up instead that has threats to my PC.  The avast stops it all the time.  The NIS does not.  It is based on my experience.  I recommend the free avast over the NIS.  I hope this helps.  I suggest testing both.  See which works best for you.

I've actually been using NIS since about the time I started this thread and I've seen zero problems.  I personally have it installed on 4 machines, plus I installed it on my Mom's PC and let my friend install it on his Laptop - each Comcast customer gets 7 installs.

It's very lightweight and unobtrusive, you don't even know it's there unless it detects something.

Getting it for free, I'm very happy with it.  But I'd be using Avast if NIS wasn't free for me.   ;D

sandeep108

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »
I had found Sygate Personal Firewall to be one of the best in the old times. In the normal mode it simply blocked everything, unless you decided to allow it. It was a pity that Symantec took them over and killed it. That and other hassles with Norton in the past is why I would not really go back to Norton.

That being said, competition is always good and if they have improved, hopefully others including avast will too.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:37:28 AM by sandeep108 »