Author Topic: avast 5 SSL warning about Mailwasher  (Read 3213 times)

alpha9

avast 5 SSL warning about Mailwasher
« on: February 11, 2010, 01:25:12 PM »
hi, Installed avast 5 and had warning to the effect
"Turn off SSL in mailwasher as avast will take over this (ssl) function".  Ok no problem there - but I got no such warning about the ssl
accounts in the actual email client - in my case Moz Thunderbird.

So my question is, should I turn off the ssl in these accounts too?
Thanks

ps in case not familiar with it, Mailwasher is the spam filter I use.
http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/mailwasher-pro

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast 5 SSL warning about Mailwasher
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »
Note avast's Mail Shield would scan the email traffic to MailWasher:
- Personally as a mailwasher pro user I have avast IgnoreProcess for mailwasher.exe. Since MailWasher doesn't download the complete email to do its analysis, it only downloads the headers, a small part of the body, it doesn't download images or attachments and it views what is downloaded in text only. Based on this I personally don't feel that any negligible risk worth scanning duplication, but the choice is yours.

By editing the EmailShield.ini file, [MailScanner] section using notepad. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\EmailShield.ini

[MailScanner]
IgnoreProcess=MailWasher.exe add this line if you don't already have an IgnoreProcess line.

Save the changes to EmailShield.ini and exit, the avast self-defence module will ask are you sure about the changes, etc. answer Yes.

The above file location is for XP so you might need to find it on Vista, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alpha9

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
Thanks very much for your help. I found the file ok but can't edit it as is read only. Strange thing is, in the file property page it is not marked as read only!  I've been looking to see how I can actually turn avast Off temporarily in the hope the file may then be writable - I wonder how the heck to stop avast?

I see what you mean about mailwasher traffic risk being low so would like to do make the setting as you suggest - if I can to edit the file   :)

Should ssl in the client be turned off - so avast can take over that role?

thanks again

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 06:42:59 PM »
You weren't using notepad as suggested, other editors will only have read permissions (self-defence module).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security