Author Topic: Nokia Ovi Suite & Avast Internet Security crashes.  (Read 27310 times)

psikofunkster

Re: Nokia Ovi Suite & Avast Internet Security crashes.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 06:42:18 PM »
Here Nokia Ovi Suite in avast 5 it's all ok.

Avast Internet Security 5.0418? which version of ovi suite are you using?

disPlay

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »

Sorry I forgot to post that I was using avast 5.0.418 free. Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0.2.42.

psikofunkster

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »

Sorry I forgot to post that I was using avast 5.0.418 free. Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0.2.42.

well that's an important difference, the free version doesn't include a firewall and other stuff....so...

BTW nokia ovi suite 2.1 is out.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:53:57 PM by psikofunkster »

psikofunkster

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »
any suggestions to this problem?

I've already sent  a ticket to avast technical support and ive not received a solution yet.  >:(

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »
The Nokia Ovi Suite is a bit of a monster. I recently repaired a PC for a Nokia salesman who use his phone as a modem and with PC hooked in as the one hardware profile, as recommended by Nokia. What an ordeal. With this kind of rig you want to use ccleaner and a good defrag regularly and dont allow any garbage to amass on your system. Also you will find PC Suite taking up default values all through your registry making uninstall of the Suite a mammoth task. I have performed this lengthy uninstall a few times for users who have Nokia phones and what I do is set them up so that they can use their phone as an add-on rather than an integrated part of their operating system. They lose a few functions and features but nothing that they would normally use anyway. They can hook their phone to the computer neat, without the Suite, and transfer data and picture back and forth okay like that. I dont like to put down Nokia at all because very good phones, but I find that a lot of these proprietary software that people use as part of their business are like this, always crashing, and they always complaining. I just try to avoid them.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

psikofunkster

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 11:04:47 PM »
The Nokia Ovi Suite is a bit of a monster. I recently repaired a PC for a Nokia salesman who use his phone as a modem and with PC hooked in as the one hardware profile, as recommended by Nokia. What an ordeal. With this kind of rig you want to use ccleaner and a good defrag regularly and dont allow any garbage to amass on your system. Also you will find PC Suite taking up default values all through your registry making uninstall of the Suite a mammoth task. I have performed this lengthy uninstall a few times for users who have Nokia phones and what I do is set them up so that they can use their phone as an add-on rather than an integrated part of their operating system. They lose a few functions and features but nothing that they would normally use anyway. They can hook their phone to the computer neat, without the Suite, and transfer data and picture back and forth okay like that. I dont like to put down Nokia at all because very good phones, but I find that a lot of these proprietary software that people use as part of their business are like this, always crashing, and they always complaining. I just try to avoid them.

the ovi suite works fine for me when Avast is disabled and when i was using kaspersky 2010 worked fine too.
So what do i have to do in order to work fine while avast is working?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:06:28 PM by psikofunkster »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 11:36:18 PM »
You will find Vlk has started a few different threads for people who are having problems with the new avast 5 programs and their own residual software and system config. In the end you may need to provide a dump file which may be helpful in respect to all others who will be using Ovi Suite with the new releases. Its not really my call, but you will see that there have been other request much like yours, which is obviously bona fide issue, that have been sorted out through the channels provided in the forum. No offence intended. Regards, Mark.

PS - the lady in the real estate agency says to me: 'so you're into computers, can you tell me why our firm's software always keeps crashing'. I reply: 'I'm not that good with computers really" and make for the door. Such a common occurrence.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

psikofunkster

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 12:41:19 AM »
You will find Vlk has started a few different threads for people who are having problems with the new avast 5 programs and their own residual software and system config. In the end you may need to provide a dump file which may be helpful in respect to all others who will be using Ovi Suite with the new releases. Its not really my call, but you will see that there have been other request much like yours, which is obviously bona fide issue, that have been sorted out through the channels provided in the forum. No offence intended. Regards, Mark.

PS - the lady in the real estate agency says to me: 'so you're into computers, can you tell me why our firm's software always keeps crashing'. I reply: 'I'm not that good with computers really" and make for the door. Such a common occurrence.

how do i provide a dump file?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 05:11:19 AM »
I've been away at work. Try these threads for starters, I'll see if I can find a thread for dump file.

Call to action: problems after upgrading from v4.8 to 5.0?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55739.0

New avast program update 5.0.418
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55484.0

olddog

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 07:07:18 AM »
psikofunkster,

I have Avast 5 Home, so I don't have the script shield. I use Nokia PC suite rather than Ovi because of the particular model phone I have, and I would certainly not want to loose a lot of the features it provides. Using the phone as a modem is probably the only function I don't use often.

As a workaround until someone identifies what causes this particular problem, can you just turn off the script shield before using the Ovi suite and turn it back on after. You will still have more protection than many AV systems offer.

Alternatively, does the script shield have any settings that would allow you to exclude the Ovi Suite?

psikofunkster

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 07:19:26 AM »
psikofunkster,

I have Avast 5 Home, so I don't have the script shield. I use Nokia PC suite rather than Ovi because of the particular model phone I have, and I would certainly not want to loose a lot of the features it provides. Using the phone as a modem is probably the only function I don't use often.

As a workaround until someone identifies what causes this particular problem, can you just turn off the script shield before using the Ovi suite and turn it back on after. You will still have more protection than many AV systems offer.

Alternatively, does the script shield have any settings that would allow you to exclude the Ovi Suite?

disabling the script shield solves the freezing issue but i still can't login into my account.
nop the script shield doesn't have any settings.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 08:17:32 AM »
Cannot read yr firewall settings.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55466.msg468822#msg468822

Ovi is a biggie  :)

psikofunkster

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 06:38:45 PM »

bong2x

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 06:57:36 PM »
:)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:19:28 PM by bong2x »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »
I can enlarge. But sorry English speaker here.