Author Topic: The second biggest reason...  (Read 5467 times)

hyjaxltd

The second biggest reason...
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »
Im not attempting to duplicate this issue, but I am tired of flash all together...at least the Adobe package.  :-X ITS NOT BUILT FOR x64 SYSTEMS AT ALL :-X .

Do you think that any of the crashes you are dealing with right now may be directly related to the 'flash' code in the Avast GUI?  I dont know either, but I am uploading the following crash dump to the Avast FTP server:

FLASHBSODMEM.rar  -it did not happen while engaged in the Avast GUI but it is DEP/AV related crash dump caused by Flash; as you will see :P .

Since I like using DEP along with Avast!, I often crash when Hulu'ing, or other various flash related page issues.  Whle most of that is, and should be a main topic for Adobe chair personnel and their support forums, lets stop supporting those that are just gonna cause some enviroments...anything not x86 apparently Adobe...to function incorrectly..and thus making an engine(s) think all sorts of havok is happening when Im just trying to catch up on 'Burn Notice' :'( .

Sorry for all the x-adverts but I thought it could be useful to make the point of another ENTIRLY new reason for not using flash...unless they step it up to x64  8)

EDIT.  Give it 20 minutes or so and it should be done.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:29:16 PM by hyjaxltd »

spg SCOTT

Re: The second biggest reason...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
Just uninstall flash, it will solve all your problems... ::)

hyjaxltd

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »
Just uninstall flash, it will solve all your problems... ::)
For sure, but again then I loose part of Avast..and more to the point, how many BSOD like mine are related to say the GUI preparing a flash call, if it works that way, or after the call and the rampant non-x64 flash code is still runnning rampant around in memory until...BSOD.

Thats why flash BSOD's x64'systems.  It acts just like malicous code many of the time in the x64 envirmoent due to its poor architechture.

The point in this thread isnt to address my flash issues, its to put to the question is the flash causing the GUI crashes(showing 'not fully protected') and/or related to any of these strange BSOD's...or related to watching Hulu and therefore Avast cant do anything about the issue until Adobe does?

Its not just a complaint, its a valid take on an ongoing issue, thats why I gave it its own thread.

BTW...upload complete.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:31:47 PM »
@ hyjaxltd: sounds like you're gonna stay stuck on this flash nightmare for a few months still no?  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:41:33 PM by Logos »

hyjaxltd

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »
@ hyjaxltd: sounds like you're gonna stay stuck on this flash nightmare for a few months still no?  ;D
Either way, I feel the above desciption makes sense...no?  Lets not take anything personal and get on with facts..okay.  Its not that Im stuck on it.  I use Flash on my main machine...I love Hulu, and a few BILLION other web sites that use it...however...it COULD be the cause, as it DOES have irratic behavior in a x64 enviroment.

...thats all.  What if a bunch of the BSOD's are all flash related.  Avast will never know unless looked at from all angles, as it seems that sopme people are a bit more stuck on flash than myslef.  Mine was directly related to Hulu finishing up the video I was watching.  It happens time and time again.  I usually am there to stop it and change to another video.  Now, add in the GUI and its calls...maybe?

I DONT KNOW.  I do know flash causes instability on the x64 systems...Adobe knows it.  Its all related to memory allocation in each atmosphere.  Thats why my BSOD today.

This is not about removing flash or not...its about the possibility of flash' instability on x64 systems causing some of the unknown BSOD's and other strange reactions from say the GUI.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:01:12 AM »
Lets not take anything personal and get on with facts..okay

okay  :) flash32 isn't a cause of instability on 64 bit systems; your issues don't come from that.
 That said, if you had a bsod, you must have a memory dump file too. Why not send it to avast for analysis ftp: //ftp.avast.com/incoming/ ... if it's flash related, they will see it  ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 12:02:31 AM »
I'd say you should really take a rest for a while (and yes, I'd agree with Logos for once - uninstalling Flash might bring you some piece), because this is getting... erm... ridiculous ;)
If Flash, being a user-mode code, caused BSOD - that wouldn't be a problem for Adobe, but a serious problem for Microsoft instead.

I certainly cannot say it for sure - but if Flash causes instability for your system, I think it's much more likely that the problem is either with your hardware, or MAYBE with some of your drivers (graphics adapter, for example).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:05:48 AM by igor »

hyjaxltd

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 02:08:33 AM »
I'd say you should really take a rest for a while (and yes, I'd agree with Logos for once - uninstalling Flash might bring you some piece), because this is getting... erm... ridiculous ;)
If Flash, being a user-mode code, caused BSOD - that wouldn't be a problem for Adobe, but a serious problem for Microsoft instead.

I certainly cannot say it for sure - but if Flash causes instability for your system, I think it's much more likely that the problem is either with your hardware, or MAYBE with some of your drivers (graphics adapter, for example).

All flash issues I can usually stay away from by stopping the video before closing IE, and a few othewr things, but thats not the point and you are mistaken :o ...it is a fact that Adobe flash causes instability on x64 systems...sorry.  And again, this IS NOT a personal attack on the flash part of the GUI, so I think Im not the one who maybe needs to take a rest.  But I put that in my last post so why the personal attack, maybe you should start your own thread about.  This was simply to point out the fact that some of these BSOD could be caused by flash NOT BEING x64 compliant, and also causes DEP issues because of its reaction in memory for some reason that Iv never gotten far enough into to care about..

Google it and you will find out this is as true as anything youv posted ??? ...there is no need to reply if your going to take this at a personal level to me.  Thank you for the ettention though, I wont be responding to anymore replies that are personally directed.  That is not the point of this thread, or forum. 8)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:10:34 AM by hyjaxltd »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:30:16 AM »
Just FYI.
There is a security release for Adobe Shockwave Flash.  See http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-06.html.

Security update available for Adobe Flash Player

Release date: February 11, 2010

Vulnerability identifier: APSB10-06

CVE number: CVE-2010-0186, CVE-2010-0187

Platform: All Platforms
Summary

A critical vulnerability has been identified in Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.42.34 and earlier. This vulnerability (CVE-2010-0186) could subvert the domain sandbox and make unauthorized cross-domain requests.

Adobe recommends users of Adobe Flash Player 10.0.42.34 and earlier versions update to Adobe Flash Player 10.0.45.2. Adobe recommends users of Adobe AIR version 1.5.3.1920 and earlier versions update to Adobe AIR 1.5.3.1930.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

hyjaxltd

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »
...send it to avast for analysis ftp: //ftp.avast.com/incoming/ ...

8)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:34:50 AM »
This was simply to point out the fact that some of these BSOD could be caused by flash NOT BEING x64 compliant, and also causes DEP issues because of its reaction in memory for some reason that Iv never gotten far enough into to care about..

And I was trying to explain that a user mode code (which I certainly hope Flash is) cannot cause BSODs, no matter how much x64 compliant it is or isn't - unless there's a serious problem in Windows itself.