Author Topic: New avast program update 5.0.418  (Read 330099 times)

Willy29

Re: New avast program update 5.0.418
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »
I have been very pleased with this new product. Easy to use interface and lots of nice features. A lot of thought and planning went into it. Sorry that some have had trouble with it, undoubtedly caused by their particular configurations and conflicts with other software.

pinnacle

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2010, 09:52:36 PM »
No issues here seems to be working flawlessly. I liken it to a well tuned Formula 1 Racing engine.....ZOOM....ZOOM,

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2010, 10:08:54 PM »
I have one more suggestion, or rather complaint... can the Avast setup be hosted on another site other than Download.com? They are very slow to upload the new versions... 4-5 days. That's not good at all. There are other sites, which update to the new version very fast. Can Avast host the setup on their own servers, like before?
agreed im not a fan of download.com, even cnet is better imo or filehippo, or majorgeeks etc
I wish avast would move these downloads to their own web site.  We are all taught, whenever possible to get our security programs from the vendor's site.  Right now, for example, Avira Press Center has posted a Security News article about fake anti-virus solutions (rogues) that imitate Avira.  In this news release, what does Avira recommend users do?
Users should always get software directly from the manufacturers’ download sites.

I know I am not the only avast user who wishes that we could get our downloads directly from avast.

dabeniao

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2010, 01:07:42 AM »
I know I am not the only avast user who wishes that we could get our downloads directly from avast.

Select the Multi-language version, and you can download it directly from avast!.

Dcn.Dad

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2010, 01:56:31 AM »
Updated two XP/SP2 machines with no problems.  On one machine, a Dell laptop, there was no notification of a program update being available.  I got the news via the forum.  Granted, I don't turn on this machine daily, but shouldn't it still notify of a recent update?  I clicked program update and everything went well. 

The other XP is my wife's machine and it showed the notification and also updated without problem.  I have one other machine, for which I have some months left on a paid version.  Watching these first two computers gives me renewed confidence to install the latest Avast once the license runs out.

One comment about both machines - neither showed pending updates for 415.

Keep up the good work!!   :D

YoKenny

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2010, 02:44:20 AM »
@ Dcn.Dad

I see you are still running Windows Service Pack 2 so you should install Windows Service Pack 3 that has been available for over a year and a half that contains several Critical Security updates plus performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2010, 03:10:07 AM »
Updated 3 PC's via GUI "Update notification"
Windows XP SP3 Fully updated.......
FLAWLESS Update.
Thanks to all concerned ;D
It's all good. 8)

cazoza

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »
Well, again, with this build i can't upgrade my 4.8 to 5, it stays where the others stays. It can't transfer the license of my 4.8. But this time it can start and no freezes, this is in win xp sp3, but in 7 i just have tried clean install of version 5 free, and it's better than previous builds. I will stay with 5 free for one month, at least, when another 2 builds come out, and i can test again the upgrade from 4.8 to 5.

This is a great build!

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2010, 10:41:09 AM »
Updated without any problems

Avastfan1

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »
Still no random freezes with 5.0.418!

Looks like the Alwil lads have sorted it!

Well done!

zander

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »
Hi all. 

Since installation I have a permanent security centre alert (Windows XP SP 2) - avast! antivirus reports that it might be out of date.  There appears to be nothing wrong with AVAST so any way to get rid of this (without checking the other antivirus program installed button).  Any help appreciated.

YoKenny

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »
Welcome zander

I see you are still running Windows Service Pack 2 so you should install Windows Service Pack 3 that has been available for over a year and a half that contains several Critical Security updates plus performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

desi3026

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2010, 01:49:51 PM »
Hi,
A great free product,all going well here so far.Installed over 4.8 with no problems.I only hope I can re-register ok when the time comes in May,as we've noticed that quite some people have been having problems registering or re-registering.Keep up the good work guys and gals
desi3026

ChadinNT

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2010, 01:55:39 PM »
Sorry... system crashed on reboot and keeps getting BSOD after start. WinXP SP2 (SP3 killed machine - ACER Travelmate... so wont go there again) Had to delete install and now no security program running ... please help... long time avast user.

chartman

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2010, 02:11:49 PM »
Same problem with Avast 5 and TravelMate (4502). But I payed for that sw 2 days ago :( Lighting up cigar with them would be better investment.