Author Topic: New avast program update 5.0.418  (Read 329421 times)

ace2701

Re: New avast program update 5.0.418
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 07:03:27 AM »
Updated from 396 to 418 with no problems.
So far, no change in how my OS runs..  Fingers still crossed.   ;)

anjandavid

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 07:06:51 AM »
Hello Alwil team,

.396 to .418 updeded by programme updeter.No problem so far running smothly.Great work, best FREE ANTIVIRUS.

Thanks Avast.

Offline CapriAnupam

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 07:08:10 AM »
My first post on the Avast forum  :). Have been using Avast for years now, and very happy with it. Would like to thanks the Avast team. The new Avast 5 looks good, and working really well. Congratulations for that :).

I upgraded to version 5.0.418 via the program update, and all went well.

I just faced a problem though. After the completion of update, and restart of computer... when I right-clicked on Avast tray icon, and clicked "About Avast", the program crashed, and exited. I had to restart Avast then.

This had happened the last time too, when I had upgraded to version 5.0.396 via program update. Although, after this problem, I did not had any other problem. But, I am curious as to why this happens. It may be a bug or something?

I would also like to say that with version 5.0.377, I had faced some minor problems.
I use FreeCommander, and sometimes when I used to open any folder with it, or tried to access a file, or open a file... the computer would lag for quite a while, before I was able to open the folder/file.
Also, I experienced a considerable lag while using webcam with Yahoo, and Meebo.... on Meebo the problem was more.

These problems went away after upgrading to 5.0.396 though. The webcam lag still remains a bit, but not as much as before.

I have one more suggestion, or rather complaint... can the Avast setup be hosted on another site other than Download.com? They are very slow to upload the new versions... 4-5 days. That's not good at all. There are other sites, which update to the new version very fast. Can Avast host the setup on their own servers, like before?

norel

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 07:20:08 AM »
Update from .396 to .418 and all went perfect on Vista.

Are many of you that are having good results using XP? I'm gonna put avast! on my mom's computer and she has XP, so I've been waiting for a stable version before attempting it. :)

zfactor

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 07:24:21 AM »
agreed im not a fan of download.com, even cnet is better imo or filehippo, or majorgeeks etc

Alkaloid

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 07:34:09 AM »
Went great (quick too, for dial-up)... Thanks.  :)

crozbone12

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 08:08:29 AM »
Thanks!! too many positive comments.. so switching again to avast!! :D

bye avira again :D!! Thanks for the hardwork Vlk and avast team.. hope that MBAM Pro will surely be stable now w/ avast :D

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 08:41:56 AM »
Update went fine here aswell the plus goes for Swedish translation thanks for add it.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline CapriAnupam

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 09:14:21 AM »
Are many of you that are having good results using XP? I'm gonna put avast! on my mom's computer and she has XP, so I've been waiting for a stable version before attempting it. :)

Avast 5 has been very stable on my PC. I am running XP SP2. Had no major problems. Some minor problems were there, as posted in my earlier post, but they have been solved with the newer versions. I would say, go for it ;D.

The only issue I would have installing Avast 5 on systems of people with less computer experience, is that, because of the behavior shield, or heuristics, some false positives might be there, which might not be handled correctly... so you should install and scan the full system yourself.

agreed im not a fan of download.com, even cnet is better imo or filehippo, or majorgeeks etc

Yep, FileHippo, or MajorGeeks are much faster to show the updates. I have found kaldata.net to be very fast with the updates. Download.com is painfully slow. I could download the setup from the other download sites too, but I prefer downloading setups from the home site of a software. That's why it would be good, if Avast was hosted on a site where updates were faster to show. Last time, I had to download update from kaldata.... because even after a week, Download.com had not updated the version. And it is not just with Avast... its the case with other softwares too.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
Again not any problem all these times!

wiz2003

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 09:52:34 AM »
Ok, it might be better but how do you get it...... other than updating....

I might dump this product soon, I am only able to get any access when avast is disabled, so I want to uninstall and then reinstall to the latest version, but I cannot.

sphoeninx

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 10:34:57 AM »
Recently got updated to .396 to version 5.0.418. The update error in mbam (free version) is still there, sorry forgot the error code, but if the update button is clicked again, it updates as usual..no big deal.

Even if avast is 2nd only in avg in the most popular free antivirus and Avira, the number #1 in detection, I'll be hanging on with Avast =). Why? because it has great support, consistent updates, a supportive forum, performs well in detection and removal against zero-day threats, and had been doing well in antivirus testing.

And Avast has certainly improved its user-interface that choosing from among other free antiviruses even among the best ones out there, i'd go for Avast anytime. I think it has one of the best user-interface out there if not the best. Quality, Beauty, and its free. (If the 'sandboxing' feature and behavioral scanning (as with TF) reach its top level, i can go with the Pro version anytime. That would certainly be a tough nut to crack for all malwares out there)

And i believe the way Avast has improved its product lately, Avast will become #1 in less than a year. For me, it's already #1.

And can you include some user guidelines regarding setting up the real-time shields in a laymen's term. I mean like in the network shield, if i connect to internet using a laptop via a wireless router, can i turn it off?, and whether the resource its using would also lessen?

Keep up the good work and thanks a lot  :)

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 12:17:48 PM »
Successfully updated to version 5.0.418 :D

dabeniao

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 12:19:39 PM »
Some of the users here in Taiwan still got the problem of "real-time shields turned off with no reason".
Any possible suggestions?

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 12:36:26 PM »
Try a repair in control panel and restart

or you should do a clean uninstall and reinstall avast for it to work properly.