Author Topic: New avast program update 5.0.418  (Read 329883 times)

Offline havildar

Re: New avast program update 5.0.418
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
Just finished installing Avast 5.0.418 in XP Sp3, using the green slider access and automatic removal of v4.8

Multiple protests from Comodo (Firewall and Defence+ but no Comodo AV) and WinPatrol but this is normal.

No joy with manual update until the second reboot, but all working fine now, I think.

Thank you Avast. The new-look GUI is excellent.
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

Dcn.Dad

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2010, 03:10:12 AM »
Reply to Reply #80

Thanks YoKenny, I followed the steps shown on the MS site and waiting for an email response.  BTW the error code is ox800 70005.  MS did not list it among the normal error coded, so I requested free email response.  

Dcn.Dad

EDIT:  Well, miracles of miracles!  MS responded within the 24 hours they promised and they not only sent a very useful email (5 pages printed), they also sent two key routines that cleared up the authorizations and the registry - the two areas I suspected to have problems, but before this I had no clue where or what.  The process was clear, sequential and with very few of the conditional "ifs" that MS loves so much - most of which don't apply anyway.

Bottom line SP3 installed successfully, although it took over an hour all told - no complaint since successful.

Thanks again for your help, Dcn.Dad
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:42:34 AM by Dcn.Dad »

OvenMaster

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2010, 07:20:03 AM »
Ever since this latest download, my computer will now freeze for five-second intervals every ten seconds or so when running Foldiing@Home console clients.

Cursor movement, mouse movements, typing input, program launches, Start menu actions, Windows Explorer operations, Task Manager, etc. all freeze up. Never had this problem before 418 update. I have to choose between running Folding@Home or Avast standard shield instead of both as before. Unacceptable.

XP SP3
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2GB DDR2 667MHz Ram
160GB WD SATA I hard drive
Nvidia FX 5200 256MB 8x AGP

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2010, 09:27:15 AM »
Cursor movement, mouse movements, typing input, program launches, Start menu actions, Windows Explorer operations, Task Manager, etc. all freeze up. Never had this problem before 418 update. I have to choose between running Folding@Home or Avast standard shield instead of both as before. Unacceptable.

So it's the Standard Shield? (i.e. stopping the Standard Shield solves the problem?)
What does the Standard Shield's scan history window show, then? (I mean the realtime chart). Any spikes?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

OvenMaster

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2010, 06:10:01 PM »

So it's the Standard Shield? (i.e. stopping the Standard Shield solves the problem?)
What does the Standard Shield's scan history window show, then? (I mean the realtime chart). Any spikes?

Thanks
Vlk
No unusual spikes show at all. The computer just freezes up.

I hate to say this, but after four years of satisfaction, I'm fed up. I'm switching from Avast! to Avira Anti-Vir. I'll try Avast! again maybe in a few months when all the bugs are fixed... but I dare say that Avast version 5 was an answer to a question that no one asked. I was perfectly happy with v4.8.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2010, 06:13:50 PM »
I hate to say this, but after four years of satisfaction, I'm fed up. I'm switching from Avast! to Avira Anti-Vir. I'll try Avast! again maybe in a few months when all the bugs are fixed... but I dare say that Avast version 5 was an answer to a question that no one asked. I was perfectly happy with v4.8.

Fair enough, but how does the release of avast v5 make the v4.8 worse? I.e. why switch if you can keep v4.8?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

zfactor

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2010, 08:26:23 PM »
i am noticing a bit of slowdown with browsing and downloads with the newest version. my download speeds are much lower than before and if i disable web shield they jump right up within maybe 10-15 seconds. if i turn it on after that they stay high...i bought 3 year lic's i hope i didnt make a mistake here
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:30:32 PM by zfactor »

OvenMaster

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2010, 08:27:45 PM »
I will be honest, Vlk. After running Avira for a while now, I find it scans downloads faster than Avast 4.8 or 5, scans the whole PC faster, has a smaller memory footprint. Also, for four years, Avast 4.8 or 5.x would cause Windows Explorer to lock up when moving lots of files from one hard drive to another. I got tired of disabling Avast just to get my work done.

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »
Fair enough, but how does the release of avast v5 make the v4.8 worse? I.e. why switch if you can keep v4.8?Thanks Vlk
Great point, Vlk.  And timely too, because OvenMaster probably isn't the only avast user who is looking around in frustration/desperation for relief from v5 problems.  I actually found myself looking at a Staples ad yesterday for Norton AV2010 for 1-3 pcs for $9.99, and I hate Symantec!  I am really hesitant to upgrade, even though I believe that there has to be far more satisfied v5 users than dissatisfied (i.e. we see mainly the complaints here on the forum).  I just don't feel up to messing with a potential problem, and I honestly am seeing thread after thread of users who are up against it, so to speak.  If I do go for v5, I know it will be done with a fresh drive image on hand in case I need to revert.  I'd like to compliment you, Vlk, on your steady attendance and participation in this forum at a time when a great many users are experiencing the most difficulty they have ever had with avast. You see, many of us avast users just aren't familiar with an AV that causes problems!  I guess it's okay to keep v4.8.  There is no need to jump ship, right?  :)

fhoegler43

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2010, 09:16:28 PM »
                 +1 Vik, I have installed 377 and 396 on my XPSP3 Gateway with a AMD 64 X2 processor and my system kept crashing, could not even use system restore. Uninstalled both times. I have been using Avast for many years and have recommended to many, but version 5. I will keep using 4.8 until the problems with 5 are gone. I'm tired of uninstalling and reinstalling plus I have dial up so it takes several hours to download the program.

Hally

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:12 PM »
Hi Guys  :)

This afternoon I installed Avast 5 Free on my Laptop  8)
Everything seems to be going just fine.
.............. I'm Happy!  :D ..............

I'm Not an experienced computer user  :-\
Maybe a bit more experienced than most women my age ... But I'm certainly NO expert!

I've been using MSE on my Laptop and Desktop for the last week - Didn't Feel Safe!   ::)
My Desktop Still Has - MSE
But If everything keeps going well with Avast 5 on my Laptop...
Next week my Desktop will be getting the Avast 5 treatment too  ;D

Top Tip!
Unistall Avast 4.8 .. Before Installing Avast 5
Make sure there are No remaining traces of the old Avast 4.8 left on your computer.
Then... Install Avast 5  ;)

Hally
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:52:23 PM by Hally »

Peter Koster

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2010, 12:23:07 AM »
Make sure there are No remaining traces of the old Avast 4.8 left on your computer.
Then... Install Avast 5[/url]
You may have a point. After uninstalling the first avast 5 using windows uninstall, I found several traces of avast using eusing registry cleaner.
Meanwhile, I'm reluctant to try the newest avast 5, just don't have the guts >:( Can anybody confirm I will still get newest virus updates when I re-install 4.8?

zfactor

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2010, 04:16:41 AM »
the slowdown from he web shield though for me IS affecting my downloads speeds they are maybe half of what they should be and i have a  25mb connection with fios. for me this is def a dealbreaker. im hoping this gets fixed or ill be switching back to my nortons i had before and i like avast so much i bought three internet security keys also and they will go to waste...i was THRILLED with avast till now

i am seeing 26.62 WITHOUT the web shield and that drops to 10.64 WITH THE WEB SHIELD ON... i knew something was slowing me down. i removed avast for now and went back to norton for the time being and all is normal again with my download speeds. verified this similar result on three different machines also.

another test i attempted to download a file that was 2+gb just for testing. with the web shield on it started out around 700k per sec. i let it run to make sure that was steady. after 5 min and it was consistant i turned off web shield and within maybe 30 seconds i was downloading the same file at 1200+k per sec. again turned on web shield and speeds dropped back to around mid 700's
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:37:33 AM by zfactor »

gdiloren

« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2010, 05:09:57 AM »
Don't remove Avast! Simply put the Web Shield OFF! The resident protection for all files is still ON like for AVIRA Guard! ;)

zfactor

« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2010, 05:27:33 AM »
well i know that but i have other av's with web shield that dont do this. trust me i REALLY like this version of avast and want to keep it running i didnt have this problem with past builds or it was not nearly as noticable enough for me to actually test my speeds as it is now, i will not give up on it yet but i hope this gets fixed in next builds quickly..