Author Topic: New avast program update 5.0.418  (Read 329853 times)

Avastfan1

Re: New avast program update 5.0.418
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:32 AM »
Update:

No random freezes have occurred since the update to 5.0.418.

Well done Avast! Looks like the MBAM conflict is solved!

gs400xr

« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »
Nice  :) Autoupdated no problems last few versions have all been good here though!! Nice to see the avast screen saver back   ;D seems all us old users of v4.xx are missing now is the gui scan from inside winrar etc. Any comment VLK? an excellent job from the Alwil Team! Now waiting for Febuary report from av-comparatives IMHO I think this release will ruffle more than a few corporate feathers from your competitors  ;) ;) ;)

sphoeninx

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
What i did to mine is i've followed the instruction to use the avast clear utility to remove my previous 4.8 version of all its traces. Must be in Safe mode when running the avast clear utility. (I've used the clear utility after uninstalling it using it uninstaller)

[Initially, i got slowing down problems and some disorganized icon when i installed avast 5 on top of 4.8 version, so i uninstalled avast 5, and was not detected by windows as an antivirus.. run the utility in safe mode and reinstalled ver 5 again..hmm.. actually i'm still juggling it in my memory of how i did it ..  ::)]

Then from .396 to .418 is smooth all the way.....

zfactor

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »
okay here is something.... i forgot i turned on the .rar extension in the menu to be scanned real time. the file i was testing was a .rar with web shield on and .rar NOT added to the list i am download it almost as fast as without web shield. EXCEPT my speeds when tested are still drastically lower than before from places like speedtest etc... but it seems the rar extension being checked was killing the speed of them during downloading

hyjaxltd

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2010, 08:00:31 PM »
Best version yet!!!

I am really having a much more comforatble time browsing, as well as my Hulu being smoother...that never happened!!!

I feel like I have a new machine... :o

I cant wait for 5.1x!!!  I hope to see some new things on the FW opened up...what I dont know, but I have a feeling being rightnow there are so limited 'Expert Settings' but maybve thats all it needs?

Either way, as a home user, I am proud to use Avast! 5 Internet Security and will be purchasing licenses for my mothers, my sisters, and my own personal machine as well. 8)

There are a few minor issues that will need REAL attention beforeI would recommend this package to ANY business :-X

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2010, 08:37:56 PM »
... Also, for four years, Avast 4.8 or 5.x would cause Windows Explorer to lock up when moving lots of files from one hard drive to another. I got tired of disabling Avast just to get my work done.
Once or twice a week I'll move several thousand files to a temp folder to sort them out and trim the collection then move them back again.  In 4.8 I simply paused the Standard shield while I did that, which made for a huge speed difference, then restored it, both of which were quick and easy.  In 5 I could temporarily stop the Files shield (which requires confirmation, same as turning off self-protect), but I found that in 5 there's very little speed difference that way so I just leave the shield on.

Naturally this takes for granted that the files are known (or assumed) to be clean and don't need scanned.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

gdiloren

« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »
okay here is something.... i forgot i turned on the .rar extension in the menu to be scanned real time. the file i was testing was a .rar with web shield on and .rar NOT added to the list i am download it almost as fast as without web shield. EXCEPT my speeds when tested are still drastically lower than before from places like speedtest etc... but it seems the rar extension being checked was killing the speed of them during downloading
I tested again my internet speed in FF (same test as yesterday) with Web Shield ON scanning all files ON and GUESS WHAT: it's never been so fast. I really don't understand what's going on! ::)

wirejock

« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2010, 02:57:13 AM »
Getting closer. I ran the clean utility in Safe Mode pointing it at a different Avast Folder each time till it cleaned out everything. Then I reinstalled 5. It came up fine, but I still have a problem with Windows Security alerts.
The system is telling me Avast is turned off even though I know it's on (The ball its turning).
It's also telling me defender is off and won't let me turn it back on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2010, 03:04:50 AM »
That is a common problem with WSC and not with avast, the WSC is flaky at best.

Try this:
* Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE

* Type this command and press Enter:

net stop wscsvc
net stop winmgmt

* Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad.). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

* Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt
net start wscsvc

EXIT
Reboot
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wirejock

« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2010, 03:19:13 AM »
Follow up. Several restarts later, Windows now sees Avast and everything is fine. Thanks to this forum for the support.

KeroIT

« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2010, 04:39:09 AM »
So cool. I love this interface but I found some problem in outlook 2007.
More detail : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55699.0

zfactor

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2010, 06:18:52 AM »
okay im going to try to stick it out but please look into the slowdown issues. some on wilders have said the same thing

sphoeninx

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2010, 11:41:51 AM »
a lot of times, from what i have experienced in installing programs (particularly antivirus) or even appearing to be some computer lockups or unusual behavior ... all that it needs is a restart, and if nothing happens, recheck settings or making sure you have followed instructions, then restart again.. if nothing happens still... research or ask for help. ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
@ zfactor

What are the references on wilders?

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then update your Signature: with this information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your Yahoo email address.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:53:51 AM by YoKenny »

shadha

« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »
Just tried the new internet suite and used the Comodo leak test suite and scored 120 / 340. Used the leak test suite on my wifes laptop which has Comodo Internet Security version 4 beta and scored 320 / 340. I think Avast Internet Security needs to pick up a little considering that CIS is a beta and AIS is a public version. I think I will stay with CIS as is performs much better than AIS and it is FREE.
shadha