Author Topic: Revert back to 396  (Read 6013 times)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Revert back to 396
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »
Vlk, it's most probably not a compatability prob.
When I was running WIN XP Pro, this happened quite often after software installations, it is, as I posted above, a kind of timing problem in the WIN startup sequence and discussed in many forums.
Many "solutions" to this behaviour have been posted throughout the web, but to my knowledge none of them work for every machine, thus there is no panacea to cure it.
I just ignored it.
Sometimes this worked for me: went to sys control, sound options and turned off the volume control task bar icon. Rebooted. All icons appeared (miraculously). Then turned on again the volume control icon. Rebooted. Everything fine.
As said: worked only sometimes. Sometimes the behaviour cured itself after any windows update...

Again, the missing of icons does not effect the actual services: everything is working as it should.

Thx
Zyndstoff
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

john36

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »
Thanks guys for your input.

zyndstoff,  You say it's probably not a compatibility issue, then why did everything work fine under 396 and as soon as I updated to 418 the problem started?

I agree, it's probably a timing issue, but I still don't understand why that timing issue wasn't there with 396.

Oh well, it's a puzzler.................

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »
To what Zyndstoff describes ( if that is the problem ) maybe this article can be of any help :

http://winhlp.com/node/16

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »
Thanks guys for your input.

zyndstoff,  You say it's probably not a compatibility issue, then why did everything work fine under 396 and as soon as I updated to 418 the problem started?

I agree, it's probably a timing issue, but I still don't understand why that timing issue wasn't there with 396.

Oh well, it's a puzzler.................

Possibly because the load time of the new avast version is just milli-seconds longer? All this timing takes place in time-frames well under a wink of the eye, so the ever so slightest changes can make a difference.
As I said: I observed this behaviour many a times on my machine back when I was still on XP.

Try to disable the nvidia/ati icon in the tray (according to your driver ati or nvidia) via the ati/nvidia settings. That's something nobody really needs, and it just might solve your problem. Most of the icons in the tray aren't needed anyway (like Logitech's Setpoint icon, the ATI/Nvidia Icons e.g.). But they take time to load, millisecs only, but time.

8)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear