Author Topic: No Sound in Firefox and IE8  (Read 17012 times)

Dch48

Re: No Sound in Firefox and IE8
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 02:34:09 AM »
It wasn't a criticism of Avast! by any means. I haven't used the sandboxing it has but my experience with it in Comodo was a headache to say the least and has left me with trepidations about ever employing the technology. The sound issue is something apparently easily fixed and it has been already so kudos to Avast!

dubhdara

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 04:52:35 PM »
I have the free version 5.0.594 and as of today, August 4th, my sound has stopped working (it was working this morning). I do not have the sandbox as that is only in the upgrade version (according to the ad). I've not changed anything on my PC and so assume an Avast! update has caused this...rebooting my PC creates no resolution to this problem. It's particularly annoying right now because my neighbour is playing loud music and I have no headphones to block it out  ::)

Please advise.

Dch48

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 09:10:49 PM »
Check in Device manager to see if the sound card is listed, it may not be being detected for some reason. If it's there and everything looks okay, then check in the mixer panel of your sound card and see if anything is being muted or if the volume is turned down. If there are no problems there I would suggest removing the sound card from Device Manager and rebooting the system. Windows will detect it and reload the drivers and that may return your sound.

dubhdara

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 09:45:02 PM »
No, I've been through all that and no difference. Thanks anyway  ;)

The only things that have changed have been updates from Avast! and possibly a Windows update. I did start using a new router but this was several days before I had any problem with my sound.

Dch48

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 09:52:49 PM »
One last thing that maybe you've already checked as well. Maybe the speakers or headphone have gone bad?

dubhdara

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 11:59:33 PM »
I am using a headset. I never could work out how to get my monitor speakers working - there's a cable that connects to my PC but no sound comes out the speakers...

Some day "plug and play" things will actually do what they say on the box. I spent 5 phone calls to technical support for my router (which was not working). I was told that no software etc. needed to be installed and that it was just a question of plug and play. They had me doing all these strange things (which I had already done). In the end I worked it out myself - the network card had not been installed! They never said anything about that!

SafeSurf

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 08:41:33 AM »
delete
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:12:59 AM by SafeSurf »

Dch48

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 09:59:49 AM »
Posted this in the other thread but maybe it will be seen here first. I found a link for the sound drivers for that motherboard. Maybe installing them will help.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:17:12 AM by Dch48 »

SafeSurf

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »
Thanks Dch48.

Jon_T

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 11:47:52 PM »
@tonyy, the_slasher, Jon_T:

confirmed and I've already fixed it today, sorry for delay -- this happened only under some OSes (WinXP in your cases). When audio library in your browsers tried to access some restricted registry keys, it was blocked by sandbox and thus was not properly initialized (= no sound).
pk,

Thanks for the reply/info.  Any workarounds to have the avast! sandbox not to block these restricted registry keys until the "fix" is included in the next avast! release?

Thanks,
Jon

Jon_T

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 11:51:59 PM »
This points out why I do not use any form of sandboxing and won't unless I'm forced into it. It just causes too many headaches.
To each his own -- seen people post that they won't use a software firewall for the same reason.

Been using Sandboxie on my three Win XP systems without any issues.  ;)