Author Topic: Outlook Express doesn't work  (Read 3419 times)

freubelaar

Outlook Express doesn't work
« on: June 27, 2004, 08:52:08 AM »
I tried several times the procedure in the Help section with the Postman wizard, but I can't get my mail. I would like to use Avast but if the mail doesn't work, not. I have Win XP home.
How to solve this problem?

niko

Re:Outlook Express doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 09:23:56 AM »
Hi Freubelaar and welcome,
It's better to let the Avast! wizard setup your mailer protection ;)

shgoh

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »
try reading the FAQ
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 09:52:14 AM by shgoh »

freubelaar

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 11:14:50 AM »
I read the FAQ and did the wizard several times, but it doesn't work!

Beaky

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 12:49:14 PM »
I had problems setting up Outlook Express when I first used Avast!
My problems were caused because I tried to use the Email Wizard with Outlook Express still open, so before you start make sure it is not running  anywhere in the background!

Although you have been unsuccessful with the Wizard may have changed your Outlook Express settings, this is normal and is required for the protection to work.  Unfortunately, before you can can successfully run the Wizard you will have to return the settings to their original state.

To do this you will have to know what your POP3 and SMTP settings are, these are provided by your ISP, if  you don't know what they are then try the help screens for setting up an account on your ISP home page.  

So how to do it, Open Outlook Express and then open Accounts in the tools menu, click on properties and then on servers.  If the POP3 & SMTP settings read 127,0,01 change these two back to their original settings.  

Avast also adds text to the Account Name, so remove the # symbol the text to the right of the # symbol.

If you are happy everything is back as it should be, close all of the tool bars and send yourself an email to check that Outlook Express works.

Make sure that you close Outlook Express when you  run the Email Wizard again, hopefully everything this time will work fine!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 12:50:34 PM by Beaky »