Author Topic: Full System Scan skips files?  (Read 4146 times)

xSentinel

Full System Scan skips files?
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:12:17 PM »
I just ran a Full System Scan and I am pretty sure that I have it set to scan every single file on my PC, yet after the scan I check the log and I get dozens of entries that have the following after the file location...

[E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)

Does anyone know what setting I can change to make it scan ALL files when it does a manual scan? I just can't find anywhere where I can fix this.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Full System Scan skips files?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »
Scan parameters page, "Scan all files". Is it checked?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

xSentinel

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I don't have (or at least I can't find any) scan parameters page.
I looked all over for a "Scan all files" check box and I can't find one.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:41:49 PM »
I think you will have to make a custom scan, using the button at the bottom of the scan page. 'Scan all files' will be on the first setting page for the settings

xSentinel

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »
OK, thanks for that. But that would be a workaround. It may work. I will have to try it.

But shouldn't "Full system scan" scan the system ... fully? As it's name implies. Had I not looked at the log after a scan I would have never known that it was skipping large numbers of files. Especially because in the older version it did indeed scan the complete system.

Gohoos81

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:22:36 AM »
I just ran a Full System Scan and I am pretty sure that I have it set to scan every single file on my PC, yet after the scan I check the log and I get dozens of entries that have the following after the file location...

[E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)

Does anyone know what setting I can change to make it scan ALL files when it does a manual scan? I just can't find anywhere where I can fix this.

Will this notification be generated in the logs if "use persistent cache to speed my scan" option is selected?

olddog

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 07:51:22 AM »
Scan parameters page, "Scan all files". Is it checked?

Vlk, The "Full System Scan" and the "Quick Scan" do not have the "Scan all files" option. That may have been an oversight or intentional. I have come to the conclusion the the word "Full" in this context really only indicates it looks at all drives, rather than just the OS drive.

The point about what is actually looked at in these "canned" or preconfigured scans has been the subject of many posts and lots of conjecture.

The test I outlined in http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55515.msg469673#msg469673 gives a good indication of what is skipped.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »
I think the behavior is as expected. The OP is talking about the report file (which is by default off), and obviously has checked the option to log skipped files as well. So it makes perfect sense to log these, doesn't it?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

xSentinel

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 02:28:31 PM »
Yes, I have checked the option to log skipped files.

"use persistent cache to speed my scan" is not checked as I want every file checked every time I do a "full" scan.

I just have no idea why ANY files would be skipped on a so called full scan.

I did create a custom scan and that seemed to do the trick. But I consider this a workaround to a bug as in previous versions the full system scan scanned everything. This would lead users to think that it is still doing so and may leave them feeling completely scanned when this is not the case. Unless they check their logs and read here they would be unaware that their full scan no longer scans the full system.

olddog

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 02:52:22 PM »
...So it makes perfect sense to log these, doesn't it?

No,  I personally don't think there is any point in wasting time and effort scanning files of types from which threats can not be launched, and even less point in logging the ones that are missed (apart from if you want to carry out a one off test as per my earlier post to get a clear picture of what is occurring).

Those of us doing video editing generally have large data drives with lots of very large .avi, mpg etc files and it would be absolutely pointless spending the time needed to scan those files.  I also see little point in having a report generated for every scan showing infected items, as these will be displayed at the completion of the scan anyhow.

So in short, I actually think the predetermined and default settings for the Quick and Full System Scan in their present form would be fairly optimum for the majority of users, and those who really want to scan all files can do by setting up their own custom scan.