Author Topic: Program Update Notification Questions?  (Read 5217 times)

Jack 1000

Program Update Notification Questions?
« on: February 12, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »
Dear Avast,

How soon after a Program Update is released do users get the sliding box notice?  If a user decides not to install the update at the time of the notice, when, or how soon do they get the update notice again?

I assume the pattern is the same for both Avast 4.8 and 5.0?

Jack

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Program Update Notification Questions?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »
I think the notice works accordingly to the auto-update: if you select auto-update, the update may be delayed up to 1 week in order to dsitribute the server load. So I think the sliding box should be there within 1 week also.

As to how often the box reappears: frankly, I don't know if it will reappear at all.

Zyndstoff  8)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »
It's configurable server-side so the answer may (and will) differ over time.

Currently, it's like this:

- avast 4.8 -- users get the first notification at a random time, but no later than 7 days (7 * 24 hours) after the release. After they get the inititial notification, it will get displayed every 4 hours (or on every boot)

- avast 5.0 -- users get the first notification at a random time, but no later than 12 hours after the release. After they get the inititial notification, it will get displayed every 4 hours (or on every boot)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:04:23 PM »
I've never gotten the pop-up notification of an update with Avast5.  However, when I open the UI to Summary, beside the program version line will be an "Update" button.  Avast5 knows that an update is available, but doesn't notify any other way.  I see this when I log in as administrator.

As I follow this forum and am therefore aware of a program update, maybe I'm jumping the gun and the update pop-up would appear eventually.  Will a limited user get the notification of a program update?  A program update should(and probably does) require administrative access.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 04:16:39 PM »
I've never gotten the pop-up notification of an update with Avast5.  However, when I open the UI to Summary, beside the program version line will be an "Update" button.  Avast5 knows that an update is available, but doesn't notify any other way.  I see this when I log in as administrator.

As I follow this forum and am therefore aware of a program update, maybe I'm jumping the gun and the update pop-up would appear eventually.  Will a limited user get the notification of a program update?  A program update should(and probably does) require administrative access.

It should pop up, and it won't even acquire elevation (it's done in the context of the avast service).
It's a blueish notification box above the clock (lower right corner of the screen), see e.g. here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55484.msg469278#msg469278

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »
@Vlk,

I visited the link and see the pop-up there.  However, Avast5 has never given that notification here, even after the program knows that a program update is available.  I do have "Ask when an update is available" under Update Settings | Program.  Perhaps there is a built-in delay for the notification pop-up after Avast5 has received notification from the server.

Also, good to know that administrative access isn't necessary for program update thru avast service(via the built-in update function).  Thank you, Vlk.

Avast5 is running fine, and I am very pleased with the UI and all the various settings and information provided therein.
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 04:44:46 PM »
It may be that you missed it, as it appears shortly after booting, and if you don't pin it it will be gone in (i think) 30 secs.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
It may be that you missed it, as it appears shortly after booting, and if you don't pin it it will be gone in (i think) 30 secs.

Yesterday, I was quite active on the computer.  I always hang around after starting/restarting windows until after it settles down.  I read about the .418 update on the forum, and then waited for quite a while for the pop-up notification.  I checked the Summary |Secured page a few times during that period and the program update button wasn't showing.

After logging off the limited user account and logging into the administrative account, I waited for about 5 minutes before checking the Summary | Secured page and the Update button was there.  There was no reboot during that time.  The program update information is probably received when the check for VPS is done at the set interval.  During this time, I think that there was a VPS check but I honestly don't remember.

It's possibly just a timing issue with the update check.  The next time that I know there is a program update (via the forum) I'll manually check for VPS updates until hopefully I receive the program update notification pop-up.  If this test won't work, please advise.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »

- avast 5.0 -- users get the first notification at a random time, but no later than 12 hours after the release. After they get the inititial notification, it will get displayed every 4 hours (or on every boot)

Thanks
Vlk

Maybe if you didn't see a pop-up, the 12 hrs hadn't expired. You noticed the available update in the GUI before avast had the chance to show you a po-up... Could be an explanation.
 ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

Maybe if you didn't see a pop-up, the 12 hrs hadn't expired. You noticed the available update in the GUI before avast had the chance to show you a po-up... Could be an explanation.
 ;D

Possible, but that would imply that when Avast5 checks for program updates with the Ask option and receives notification that there is one available, there is a time period set before the user is actually informed via a pop-up. :-\  That would explain the fact that there was no notification pop-up even though Avast5 already knew about the program update.  The delay time must be in a temporary file for that particular update. ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »
Program updates have always had an update cycle time, in 4.8 that was 7 days, so you should get an update notification within that cycle.

I have no idea what the 5.0 update cycle is as I suspect that because they have only released 5.0 there is a much larger update/notification cycle to cater for 100 million plus users (the majority of which have OSes that are supported in 5.0) so as not to completely bog down the servers.

However, for those that have 5.0 installed already they would I assume be on whatever the current 5.0 program update cycle is. This may or may not be greater than the 7 day cycle of 4.8.

I rarely if ever get a program update notification being active on the forums, we get to know early and I do a manual program update rather than wait.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:26:45 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 07:37:03 PM »
I understand the need for the delays to ease the load on the server.  What I am trying to understand is the difference between Avast5 on the computer knowing about an update(and displaying the Update button on the Summary | Secured UI page) and the fact that pop-up of the Program Update is not immediately displayed at the same time(approximately).

The program has already checked for updates and found VPS and/or Program update.