Author Topic: Advice me! Avast with Malwarebytes or Sandboxie? :-*  (Read 13807 times)

steve-ru

Advice me! Avast with Malwarebytes or Sandboxie? :-*
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:02:20 PM »
Advice me plz!
i have the last free Avast right now with Malwarebytes but it's freezing my win
don't u think if i remove Malwarebytes and install Sandboxie my system will work better???
and any idea about Comodo Free Firewall???
i'm using windows firewall...

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:18:29 PM by Steve Stevens »

steve-ru

Re: Advice me! Avast with Malwarebytes or Sandboxie? :-*
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:49:59 PM »
 ::)

pinnacle

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:05:34 PM »
As far as a more secure Firewall then Windows Firewall. I would suggest either Online Armor Free, http://www.tallemu.com/products-online-armor-free-overview.php  Pc Tools Firewall , http://www.pctools.com/firewall/  or Outpost Firewall Free,  http://free.agnitum.com/  they seem to be the most compatible with Avast.

sys-eng

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:45:15 PM »
Do NOT remove Malwarebytes!
It is effectively stopping and removing infections of fake antivirus programs such as SystemTools; however, Avast lets them right on in then cannont remove them.

You should be able to use a good free firewall with Avast and Malwarebytes.  Any firewall may have to have an exception added to allow a program to perform updates.  This is not a fault of the firewall but just an extra step of security.

Below are examples of very good free software firewalls:

A-squared Free + Online Armor Personal Firewall Bundle
Comodo
Online Armor Free
ZoneAlarm

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:13:50 AM »
Yup if you want performance you can disable its protection and use it as demand scanner only like most of us here(Most using the free version ;D

olddog

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:52:24 AM »
Advice me plz!
don't u think if i remove Malwarebytes and install Sandboxie my system will work better???

The Avast/Malwarebytes interaction is supposed to have been fixed in the current Avast 5.0.418 release. What versions of both programs exactly are you using?

ibell63

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 05:15:31 AM »
Also, keep in mind that there was only an incompatibility with the paid version of malwarebytes when using the resident scanner.  Also, they don't seem to be entirely sure that it's fixed now, personally I think you should only run one resident scanner anyway.  There is no problem with using malwarebytes as an on demand scanner, so if you just have the free version, your problems are caused by something else.

You can have as many on demand scanners as you want, the possibility of an incompatibility between them is low.  I have Avast5, Malwarebytes free version, SuperAntiSpyware free version, and Spybot search and destroy free version (with the resident scanner off) all installed on my machine.

The issue is simply with having more than one resident scanner.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:18:53 AM by ibell63 »

USARepuplican

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 08:43:30 AM »
Oh,heavens no do not remove Malwarbytes!!
Why,piss poor detection rate aside,proven in test after test,
That would be cyber Suicide!!

Malwarebytes is the greatest!!!

Why? Because a lot of jack leg computer repairmen,looking to secure their next job via a half ass clean up job,(lot easier and quicker that a reformat and install,which is the only proven way to "cure" an infected machine)say it is!!

Yeaa Malwarebytes!!

How in Gods name does anyone with a brain get infected with a rogue anti-virus?

Anwser: Malwarebytes user and fanboi base!!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:45:18 AM by USARepublican »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 09:01:55 AM »
Steve Stevens,
It sounds like you are looking for a definite configuration of applications to keep your computer safe (and who isn't?), but without understanding fully what each is for.
I am using Avast as one of the main features. So are many others.
What I suggest is to learn something about a layered protection strategy. That is, finding out how malware can install, and as best as reasonably possible, plugging the holes.

By the time an antivirus warns of a potential infection, ideally, the plugs put in place should have already stopped most of them.

This would include hardening the browser. (Firefox with Noscript works well.)
Preventing known bad sites loading. (Spyware Blaster, by Javacool, and/or a Hosts file, both updated every week or two, would help.)
Preventing "stuff" automatically loading in a non-Firefox browser. (Set the security options in a browser to "prompt" for any scripting/ActiveX.)
Keeping all software patched. (Have a look at http://secunia.com/products/consumer/ and perform an online scan. Maybe download and install the PSI.)
Backup your important files regularly. Makes it much less stressful if you need to format and reinstall.
Choose good passwords.
Last but not least, a 2 way firewall is a safety net. If badapplication1234a.exe gets on to your system, a firewall will alert you if it tries to connect outbound.

There are other possibilities. Such as limited user, sandboxing/ virtualization, behaviour blockers/HIPS (Comodo and OA firewall include a HIPS module - basically a whitelist-based allow/deny blocker) imaging software, and a few others. For more advanced users, in some cases.

Most of the various protocols I use are in my sig. Seems to work.

Hope that helps.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:54:15 AM »
Advice me plz!

I dunno why it freeze on your system.

You mean latest Avast V5.0.418?

Im using Windows Xp Pro 32bit with Avast Free V5.0.418, MBAM Pro Updated, Sanboxie 3.42, Windows Firewall only. Its running smoothly.

See my signature for my Hardware Spec.

Try Reinstall MBAM? Lets see if it will work?

Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

steve-ru

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
WOW how many answers :) thanks all for the amazing information  :o
it's not freezing any more since a disabled on-Demand Protection & IP Protection in Malwarebytes!
but that means i'm not good protected now ;)

Still thinking and reading about firewalls like Online Armor Free, Pc Tools Firewall and Private Firewall!!!
i wonder which one of them works smoother and doesn't load memory and simple for non pro PC users!

Thanks again all  :-*
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:36:55 AM by Steve Stevens »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »
I can report that PCTools firewall is pretty easy to use. I'm no firewall expert.
There will be a "settling in" period, where it will need to learn what is permitted to connect, and requires your answer.
This will be a bit of a learning period.
If there is anything asking to connect, that you can not work out, try a Google search of the process name to get an idea of whether it is legitimate or not.
If you have a clean computer, most likely it is legitimate, but may not always be necessary.
Such connections are best disabled from within the settings of the program concerned.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

coppertrail

I had conflicts with Avast! and MBAM Full Version
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »
I had the paid version of Malware bytes installed. I then installed Avast! 5 and the problems began. The install didn't complete successfully, and avast updates would lock my machine, and it would blue screen when coming out of Suspend mode. My first thought was that the MBAM active protection was conflicting with Avast!. In my mind, AV resident protection overrides Malware resident protection, so I uninstalled both MBAM and Avast, rebooted, ran the MBAM clean util just to be sure I got rid of everything and then installed Avast! 5. I haven't had any problems since (I didn't enter my license key after the MBAM install, so I'm running without resident protection).

I'll continue to use MBAM as I believe it's a great product, just not using it's resident scanning features.

Offline -Genesis-

Re: I had conflicts with Avast! and MBAM Full Version
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 03:48:20 PM »
I had the paid version of Malware bytes installed. I then installed Avast! 5 and the problems began. The install didn't complete successfully, and avast updates would lock my machine, and it would blue screen when coming out of Suspend mode. My first thought was that the MBAM active protection was conflicting with Avast!. In my mind, AV resident protection overrides Malware resident protection, so I uninstalled both MBAM and Avast, rebooted, ran the MBAM clean util just to be sure I got rid of everything and then installed Avast! 5. I haven't had any problems since (I didn't enter my license key after the MBAM install, so I'm running without resident protection).

I'll continue to use MBAM as I believe it's a great product, just not using it's resident scanning features.

Hi coppertrail.

Avast 5.0.418 fix the issues in MBAM running Windows XP.

Heres the link

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55484.0

Im running Avast 5.0.418 and MBAM "enable Protection" and turn off IP Protection.

Its running fine.
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

coppertrail

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Good to know, I updated to the latest build of Avast! 5 yesterday, maybe I'll give MBAM active protection another shot.