Author Topic: Virus detection failure ?  (Read 4666 times)

pacman73

Virus detection failure ?
« on: June 27, 2004, 02:46:34 PM »
I received a notification of blocked mail from an educational institute.  It seems that there an e-mail with  virus with my e-mail address was sent to them (W32 Netsky).  I scanned my HDD next and no virus was found.  

I remembered there were some viruses detected by Avast in my mailbox not so long ago.  I have already deleted these e-mails when prompted by Avast.  Is there a possibility that my computer can still be used as a vehicle to spread the viruses even after I have deleted them ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Virus detection failure ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 04:39:39 PM »
I'd say it's rather unlikely.
Most of today's viruses fake the "From" address - i.e. the fact that somebody received the virus from "your address" doesn't mean anything.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 05:15:38 PM »
Yes, there is that possibility but it's not the first one.
They stole your address and use it in your place.
The ones who received it try to alert this to you... I won't be worried about it. I even alert the others about this as they are not due to that email anyway.

Do a full througout scanning and be happy  8)
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 07:32:33 PM »
Hi pacman73,

I have received a couple of these types of email, stating I had sent an inected email. I use mailwasher so I can check the details safely and several things stand out.

• I don't know the person/email or the recipient.
  • There is no corresponding email in my sent items folder.
  • I would have received an avast infected email warning on sending email.

I virtualy every case these are forged senders email address, coming from an infected computer, that just so happens to have your email address in the address book or some other file. Some of these email are infact an attempt to get you to open them (offer of removal tool, etc.), you are qurious (it killed the cat) to find out what is going on and bingo you could be infected.

Action, ignore them, delete them (at source if possible, mail server); having received the email, there is nothing that you could have done to prevent it (you wern't infected). Don't worry and for peace of mind do a scan.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pacman73

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 02:32:20 AM »
Thanks everybody for your replies !

By the way, I did a scan and there are some 1000 over files which Avast has been unable to scan because "Archive is password protected".   How can I  can I resolve this ?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 03:13:41 AM »
It really means, the archives are password protected (e.g. some applications protect their own data files / installation data files / etc etc) and because we dont know their passwords, we cant scan inside the archives - and we just inform you about it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 03:49:06 AM »
Thanks everybody for your replies !

By the way, I did a scan and there are some 1000 over files which Avast has been unable to scan because "Archive is password protected".   How can I  can I resolve this ?

Password protected files are safe (if you or the computer do not un-pack them).
Can you attach a txt file with the name and path of that files?
Maybe we can 'join' them in groups and advice you about them, if you want.
Generally speaking, no such matter to worry too much...
The best things in life are free.