Author Topic: Avast and Outlook  (Read 5042 times)

njchatter

Avast and Outlook
« on: June 27, 2004, 03:21:11 PM »
I can receive but not send email.  Using Outlook 2002 and Verizon DSL.  Also using McAfee Firewall.  Do I need to open a port in the firewall?  

njchatter

Re:Avast and Outlook
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 04:33:19 PM »
Disabled the firewall and still can't send.  Guess that's not it.   Tried using Outlook 2002 and Outlook Express.  Neither words.  I did notice in Outllok Express a port number was changed to 5001.  Is this correct?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 05:21:32 PM »
No, the port could be 110 (default) or any other you configure in your spam killer application (if any).
Are ashMaiSv.exe running right now (ctrl+alt+del to see)
The best things in life are free.

njchatter

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 06:00:21 PM »
I reran the email wizard and outlook express now works but not outlook.  Checking the settings in outlook I do not see the 127.0.0.1 for server or email address changed to include #incoming.verizon.net.  In outlook should those settings be the same as outlook express?  They still show incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net.

The Maxx

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 06:23:27 PM »
Don't know about Outlook about with Outlook Express both incoming and outgoing mail should be 127.0.0.1  Try changing them to that and see if it works.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 06:24:05 PM by The Maxx »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 07:34:20 PM »
Hi njchatter,
Outlook 2002 uses a different avast provider, the Outlook/Exchange provider have you got that set up in avast?

Does avast appear in the plugins for Outlook 2002?

Have you read the Mail Protection section in theavast help file?

"MS Outlook / Exchange" page

Specify whether you are using MS Outlook or Exchange for mail processing on this page. If you are using one of these clients, the wizard will finish then because there is no need to continue. avast! supports the e-mail clients on default (natively).

Select the second option if you are using another program and continue with the settings. Choose this option also in the case that you are using more mail clients (MS Outlook / Exchange and another client like Outlook Express or Eudora).

I don't use Outlook so this is just supposition. Reading this could it be possible you need to run the Mail Protection Wizard once for OE and once for Outlook as you have both installed. Ensure that OE/Outlook are closed pre-wizard.

HTH David

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

njchatter

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 08:15:53 PM »
The plug in appears when I start outlook.  I ran the mail wizard specifically for outlook.  I can receive but not send.  I will use outlook express.   I just would like to figure out why it's not working - drives me crazy when something doesn't work the way it should :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 09:12:01 PM »
Have you checked to ensure that, if your server needs authentication that that to is set up?

Otherwise I have run out of ideas, not using Outlook myself.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

njchatter

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 09:53:13 PM »
Yes that was done.   Thanks for trying.  That's the nice thing about this forum.

sevenblu

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 01:25:28 AM »
Try this...

Open Outlook, go to the tool/account tabs.

Click on you verizon account to open the properties... Choose the servers tab. Make sure the little box next to my server requires authentication IS checked.  If you his the properties box next to that, it should read:

[you're email adress here]l#incoming.verizon.net
[you password here]

---

For some reason, when I installed avast, it changed my account around and that box was NOT checked.  It was an easy enough fix.

If it's not that... I am at a loss.

njchatter

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 02:01:33 AM »
Thanks, I've tried everything that I can think of.  Have no idea why I can't send in outlook but can receive and send and receive in Outlook Express.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions.