Author Topic: 5.0.418 BSOD  (Read 6945 times)

chartman

5.0.418 BSOD
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:31:58 AM »
After years of using Home without any serious problems, I purchased Internet Security 5 to evaluate authors, but after install I got only BSOD (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) on my Windows XP SP3, no dump is created, folder windows\minidump is empty. I don't like this world most expensive BSOD generator.

Avast antivirus 5 = BSOD too.

I noticed one problem, I tried to set some settings as written here, which could help, but the settings was never saved, after reopening settings window my changes were lost.

Is there any possibility to get 4.8 licence key until the version 5 is fixed? Have someone asked to refund?

Please help.

mouniernetwork

Re: 5.0.418 BSOD
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:30:34 AM »
After years of using Home without any serious problems, I purchased Internet Security 5 to evaluate authors, but after install I got only BSOD (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) on my Windows XP SP3, no dump is created, folder windows\minidump is empty. I don't like this world most expensive BSOD generator.

Avast antivirus 5 = BSOD too.

I noticed one problem, I tried to set some settings as written here, which could help, but the settings was never saved, after reopening settings window my changes were lost.

Is there any possibility to get 4.8 licence key until the version 5 is fixed? Have someone asked to refund?

Please help.

Hello,

Are you sure that your computer is setup to have minidumps generated on BSOD ?
Please check http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=87 as it gives you a bit more information...

Al968

chartman

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 12:04:57 PM »
Yes I have settings to enable minidumps, but I forgot, that I disabled swap file many months ago.

Minidump uploaded, I hope they will fix it soon. I am tired of so many restarts and BSOD.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »
Wouldn't you have, by a chance, also a complete dump? (or at least a kernel dump)
Both would be in \windows\memory.dmp

But I guess you don't, as their generation is turned off by default in Windows XP.

In any case, it would be very helpful if you could enable it though, generate the dump and upload it to the ftp site.

The minidump is indeed interesting, but unfortunately, it does not contain enough information to fix the issue. Once we have the full dump it's likely that we will actually be able to fix the problem by means of a simple virus definition update (e.g. tonight, or tomorrow morning).

Thanks much
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

hyjaxltd

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »
...I don't like this world most expensive BSOD generator....
I dont like MS excuse for an operating system @$400.00 either but is that really Avast!'s fault now?  I hope things get better for you though, I just couldn't resist ;D

chartman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »
Wouldn't you have, by a chance, also a complete dump? (or at least a kernel dump)
Both would be in \windows\memory.dmp

But I guess you don't, as their generation is turned off by default in Windows XP.

In any case, it would be very helpful if you could enable it though, generate the dump and upload it to the ftp site.

The minidump is indeed interesting, but unfortunately, it does not contain enough information to fix the issue. Once we have the full dump it's likely that we will actually be able to fix the problem by means of a simple virus definition update (e.g. tonight, or tomorrow morning).

Thanks much
Vlk

I am uploading full dump now, it will take next 2 hours, so I hope it helps, I spend hour with creating it. I think I deserve at least one more year licence for free, but the most I can accept is BSOD free application. But I dont believe in it, because the application didn't connect while instal, so virus definition update is useless for me. God I am so disappointed  :-\

mouniernetwork

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:55:21 AM »
I think I deserve at least one more year licence for free

Any particular reason why you should receive a license ?? Or is it just because you're helping the avast team making their software bug free like tens of users in the forum ??

Al968

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 02:04:46 AM »
learn hot to help for free.here in my local and in university and anywhere i go i repair pcs for free even i can take money but seeing a smile on a face of someone make me feel i had the world,thats enough for me
its my translate of the Holy-Bible
What is the benefit if you have the world and lose your self?
believe me nothing
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

chartman

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 03:48:22 PM »

Any particular reason why you should receive a license ?? Or is it just because you're helping the avast team making their software bug free like tens of users in the forum ??

Al968

learn hot to help for free.here in my local and in university and anywhere i go i repair pcs for free even i can take money but seeing a smile on a face of someone make me feel i had the world,thats enough for me

I am helping other people for free too, but this is a little bit different situation and you should see it. I felt good when upgrading to payed version and than great disappointment. So this is not only about money but also about feelings. And if you two think I am bad person, I will not argue with you.

I made a mistake with upgrading without testing the sw before, so I would be very satisfied with working version.

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »
no i think you are good but all have some evil or bad inside us
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

hyjaxltd

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »
its my translate of the Holy-Bible
What is the benefit if you have the world and lose your self?
believe me nothing
Superhacker;

you mean 'how to help for free' 8) ?  I beleive this is what its supposed to read because 'not help for free' I would feel for anyone truly convinced of that.

Anyhow, Chartman, how can you have the world without truly knowing yourself...

but none of that is thread related, I hope you all are enjoying the 14th of Febuary...and the rest of Alwil, their families, and their supporters ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »
chartman, please downloading the latest version of AIS from here:
http://www.avast.com/internet-security#tab3

and let me know if that solves the problem!

Thanks much, and sorry for the troubles so far
Vlk

chartman

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 07:02:45 PM »
chartman, please downloading the latest version of AIS from here:
http://www.avast.com/internet-security#tab3

and let me know if that solves the problem!

Thanks much, and sorry for the troubles so far
Vlk

It looks good, no BSOD after restart. Can you shortly describe what was problem?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 08:43:41 PM »
It looks good, no BSOD after restart.

Glad to hear that.

Can you shortly describe what was problem?

Yes, sure. It was a compatibility problem with a driver called "epm-shd.sys" (which identifies itself as "Acer EPM System Hardware Driver") - the driver behaves very strangely. Namely, it exits its initialization function with disabled software interrupts (i.e. is issues the Intel CLI instruction, and doesn't reset the interrupt flag back before exiting) -a fact that later causes a crash in the Behavior Shield module (which is closely monitoring all drivers loaded into the system).

Thanks
Vlk