Author Topic: quick and full scans  (Read 3712 times)

hello2007

quick and full scans
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
whats the difference in quick and full scans. With quick scans will it ignore scanning files bigger like videos and such

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: quick and full scans
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »
Quick scan will scan about 99% of files which can be infected whereas full scan will analyse more file to find viruses in your computer.So..quick scan takes less time^^

Let me test that longtime not downloaded a video in my computer ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:18:57 PM by The Magician Of The Silver Sky »

hello2007

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »
Quick scan will scan about 99% of files which can be infected whereas full scan will analyse more file to find viruses in your computer.So..quick scan takes less time^^

yes but isn't the main reason a scan will be faster because it doesn't scan large files so would that mean your videos that are big files would be skipped by quick scan's

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:34:18 PM »
Yes it would be skipped but if you want to choose the option scan large file you can you know :)
But videos is extremely rare that it contains virus/viruses that's why it is not important to scan it

I'm quite sure they put a reasonable number maybe over 300mb for file size

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
it's not a matter of videos or file size etc..., quick scan will just scan the main areas on your system where infections are the most commonly located, while a full scan will scan all files on all drives. if you want to know what these scans actually do, open avast5.ini  ;)

hello2007

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 01:50:56 AM »
it's not a matter of videos or file size etc..., quick scan will just scan the main areas on your system where infections are the most commonly located, while a full scan will scan all files on all drives. if you want to know what these scans actually do, open avast5.ini  ;)

thanks so avast scan's videos too even if they are 1 gb? im asking because i see on adaware you can adjust the size of files scanned from as big as you want to as small as you want

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 03:19:18 AM »
You can I think...You can go to the option here for folder scan only...You can configure it how you want as soon as you know what you are doing :)

olddog

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 04:37:41 AM »

thanks so avast scan's videos too even if they are 1 gb? im asking because i see on adaware you can adjust the size of files scanned from as big as you want to as small as you want

Hello2007,

Rather than take what is being said by others as Gospel, and risk becoming more confused than ever, why don't you do a very simple test which will give you the answer you need directly.

If you go into the settings for the Full System scan, go to the reports tab.
If the Generate report file is not ticked, tick it.
Note that the default filename is an asterix. Temporarily change this to "skipped.txt"  (without the quotes)
Under Reported Items, untick any that are ticked, and tick just the last item - skipped items.
Click on OK, and exit the Avast screens.

Now reopen the Avast interface and carry out a Full System Scan.
At the end of the scan, open the skipped.txt report file in notepad. It will show you what has "NOT" been scanned.

Hint - If you have some specific Video files, say .mpg or .avi of different sizes you can use the Edit\Find option in notepad to find the filenames in the skipped list. You will then have a factual answer to your question.  

Don't forget to put the scan settings back to what they were before you did this test.

Incidentally, in XP the skipped.txt file will be in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\Report

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:40:45 AM by olddog »

olddog

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 04:39:55 AM »
Removed - double post
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:41:49 AM by olddog »