Author Topic: Unable to scan: Archive is password protected  (Read 9810 times)

Offline lethal

Unable to scan: Archive is password protected
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:39:33 AM »
Hi,

I read most the prior posts and links on this topic, and sort of understand why this pop up (the zipped archives software like spybot and ad-aware have), however I don't quite follow the comment 'it cant scan it if it doesn't know the password' as this isn't always necessarily so.

Further, on the list that pops up following a scan, if one does an avast 'on demand' scan on each file...Avast does it and reports accordingly.

This seems incongruous.

I do not want to start placing restriction on my 'global/drive/folder/explorer scans but this doesn't make a lot of sense. It was the same in version 4.8 (I am now using 5.0.396 ...be nice if I could easily find the 'about' pop up).

Can some please clarify?

thanks

Lethal

olddog

Re: Unable to scan: Archive is password protected
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 08:07:50 AM »
Lethal,

In the case of the SpybotSD Recovery files, Avast's scan from Windows Explorer context menu does not open the files and does returns the "Archive is password protected" error.

The files are password protected specifically as a measure to protect against them being opened and modified by malware and if they could be easily opened to be scanned then that protection would no longer exist.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:12:35 AM by olddog »

Offline lethal

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
Hi Olddog,

Thanks for the prompt response. The issue regarding password protected scan is fine...however i don't use spybot or lavasoft's product.

I don't understand how can these files be scanned 'on demand' (individually) and not by the 'global scanner'?

thanks

Lethal

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »
I don't understand how can these files be scanned 'on demand' (individually) and not by the 'global scanner'?

it's not scanned individually either, you just don't get the error message because it's either not set to send you such a message or not set to scan files with such extensions. Understand this: password protected, whatever the reasons are, means password protected. No way to open unless you give the password, and Avast doesn't crack passworded archives  ;)

Offline lethal

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:55:57 AM »
hi,

thanks for the response...understood.

Are password protected files the only ones avast does not/cannot scan either 'globally' or on demand?

thanks for the advice.

Lethal

Offline lethal

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:07:30 AM »
Hi,

Whilst you are considering that last question...could I ask one other.

When I installed avast 5, it stated I should disable ssl/tls in my email client , as avast 5 set this up and monitors it.
I use outlook express and cannot find a way to achieve this, could you please clarify this.

thanks

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 07:22:15 AM »
Hi lethal
I don't use OE so I'm a bit rusty.
If it's a POP account:

Tools > Accounts (select appropriate account) > Properties > Advanced > Under POP, uncheck "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" and the port should change to the standard "110". Click Apply/Okay.

IMAP would be similar (port 143 is the standard IMAP port) but I've never used OE for IMAP.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline lethal

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:27:54 AM »
Hi Vladimyr,

Not so rusty...cause you were right on the money in regard to the navigation.

The boxes were not checked on my version anyhow, so i assume this avast advise is 'informational' only.

regards

Lethal

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »
No, this message only shows up when there is a ssl/tls setup somewhere - not informationally.
Check the smtp settings as well!
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline lethal

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:42:19 AM »
Thanks Zyndstoff,

Neither of the boxes are checked, yet this message was still received upon upgrade to v5....

So if it not informational....what would it be?

regards

Lethal

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 09:10:02 AM »
Normally it means that your email-client uses ssl/tls to encrypt emails. These can not be scanned, naturally. So, if you wish avast to scan emails, you have to disable ssl/tls in the email client.
The way then will be this: email-client sends unencrypted mail to avast, avast scans and inserts "clean" or "infected" message (if enabled in the email settings of avast), then encrypts with ssl/tls and sends mail to your email provider's server. Receiving is just the same vice versa of course.

You are using outlook express? Do you have any other email-client installed and configured for your emails? What is your email domain (the @xxxxx.xxx part of your email adress)?
In Outlook express, are the ports for pop3 and smtp set to 110 and 25?
Free MBAM Clear

Offline lethal

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 11:33:04 PM »
Hi Zyndstoff,

When you say 'if enabled in the email setting of avast' I assume you mean check boxes ticked to scan incoming and outgoing emails?...or is their some other setting?

I have and use no other email client.

The domain name is '@tpg.com.au'

The ports are set as you detail.

Looking forward to receiving your clarification.

regards

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 08:26:07 AM »

When you say 'if enabled in the email setting of avast' I assume you mean check boxes ticked to scan incoming and outgoing emails?...or is their some other setting?

Yeah, this setting plus the setting "Insert note" in incoming mail and "insert note" in outgoing mail (or similar, don't know the detailed wording right now). Find it in the "Behaviour" section of Mailshield-settings.

Now: Can you send and receive emails via Outlook-Express? If so, do the emails contain the "Message clean" insertion at the end of the email (if the above settings are made)?

In the avast email-settings, check your server settings - there should be some setting called "POP3 Servers" or something like that, where your POP/IMAP and SMTP servers are listed. Are they corresponding to the server-settings in Outlook Express?
If not, add those servers to the list manually.
Free MBAM Clear

Offline lethal

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:43:43 AM »
Thanks again for the response.

Only in 'expert mode' in avast you can set 'insert note into clean message' or 'insert note into infected message', these were turned off as a default...though they do not seem to be much more than 'avast publicity' anyhoo.

Apparently, it was already scanning them.

In the SSL settings area (again in expert mode) it mentions:
host name    protocol     port     encryption
'com.au'        pop3         995      SSL
tpgi.com.au   pop3         995      SSL
tpgi.com.au   SMTP        25        TLS

There is no mention of port 110. I have added it...and in the 'account name' (required input) called it 'mail.tpg.com.au', which is the account name.

We you consider this to be in order?

regards

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 08:52:56 AM »
I'm sorry, I didn't state quite right: you don't need to add the 110 port. Delete that one. (Sorry for the inconvenience I caused by not being precise)
In that list, the correct SSL settings have to appear, as you would set them if you didn't use avast.

Is "tgpi.com.au" the pop3 server and the SMTP server you have entered in Outlook Express?
Normally, these servers are called something like "POP3.xxxxxx.com" and "SMTP.xxxxxx.com" / "MAIL.xxxxxxx.com".

As to the insert clean note message: yes, it's not really needed, but it gives you an easy check to see, if the mails are really scanned.
So, again, does OE allow to send/receive mails and are your mails scanned?
Free MBAM Clear