Author Topic: [5.0.418] Avast not obeying "Extensions to scan" for Web Shield  (Read 7952 times)

Alkaloid

[5.0.418] Avast not obeying "Extensions to scan" for Web Shield
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:39:41 AM »
Here is how the settings are entered in, exactly:

Code: [Select]
exe,scr,com,pif,dll,vbs,js,bat,inf,reg,doc,html,htm,shtml,chm,hlp,php
And MIME types:

Code: [Select]
application/x-msdownload,application/x-msdos-program,application/x-msdos-windows,application/x-download,application/bat,application/x-bat,application/com,application/x-com,application/exe,application/x-exe,application/x-winexe,application/x-winhlp,application/x-winhelp,application/x-javascript,application/hta,application/x-ms-shortcut,application/octet-stream,vms/exe
I know it's ugly to look at but I wanted to enter it exactly as it is in the configuration dialogue. Nothing is being scanned by the Web Shield module on any sites with these settings. It does work with "Scan all files" selected.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: On further inspection, I did catch a PHP script being scanned, but many, many .html pages are loaded without being scanned, even though the file extension is listed. Same goes for .js files that are loaded by websites, even though they are scanned with "Scan all files" enabled... So it's doing something... just not what I want it do to...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:31:00 AM by Alkaloid »

Alkaloid

Re: Avast not obeying "Extensions to scan" for Web Shield
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:24:02 AM »
Also, on a related note... I see that the Network Shield module is scanning every network connection, including HTTP internet connections. Does this make the Web Shield module redundant? What benefit will I get by having both?

I'm asking because I'm on dial-up and need to eliminate as many unnecessary speed barriers as possible.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:36:07 AM »
No, because it isn't scanning the http content as the web shield does, all it is doing is checking domain names against its malicious sites database.

I'm on dial-up and personally the default settings for avast work fine providing the best balance between performance and protection and that includes the web shield Scan all files. Me I have even bumped the sensitivity up to High from the default of Normal and no adverse affect on my dial-up browsing.

One thing that you haven't said is what avast version are you using 4.8 or 5.0 ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alkaloid

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:18:29 AM »
No, because it isn't scanning the http content as the web shield does, all it is doing is checking domain names against its malicious sites database.

Ah, I see. Makes sense - thanks.

I'm on dial-up and personally the default settings for avast work fine providing the best balance between performance and protection and that includes the web shield Scan all files. Me I have even bumped the sensitivity up to High from the default of Normal and no adverse affect on my dial-up browsing.

I'll keep it at the default setting for now. That doesn't mitigate my concern that Avast is not doing what it should be doing, assuming I have not messed up inputting the settings somewhere.

One thing that you haven't said is what avast version are you using 4.8 or 5.0 ?

Sorry about that. Avast 5.0.418 on Windows 7 x64. Edit: Added to topic title.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:35:20 AM by Alkaloid »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: [5.0.418] Avast not obeying "Extensions to scan" for Web Shield
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:37:02 AM »
Well I don't know exactly what setting you have or haven changed, mine are basically default but increased sensitivity and as you should be able to see from the image I posted it is scanning files. You can monitor your Web Shield details.

It is always best to allow a period of time on default settings to find out how a program works or to have asked the question before making any changes. If you have happened to enter any exclusions in the web shield 'Expert Settings' that would have the reverse effect that you sought to achieve. Unfortunately there is no easy way out in the form of a restore defaults button.

OK so my guestimate of posting an avast 5 image was correct.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alkaloid

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:51:28 AM »
Well I don't know exactly what setting you have or haven changed, mine are basically default but increased sensitivity and as you should be able to see from the image I posted it is scanning files. You can monitor your Web Shield details.

Okay, perhaps I should have been more specific. Every setting on the web scanner is default except for the following:

Sensitivity: High
Packers: Only have self-extracting and ZIP selected.
Scan for PUP: On
Scan: only the selected extensions, with the settings entered as noted in my first post.

Pretty sure that's all I changed for the Web Shield module.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 05:01:22 AM »
As I said Normal is the default sensitivity (though I have mine set to High) if you are trying to improve downloads setting sensitivity Higher isn't going to achieve that, thought the differences I would say are minimal.

I have All packers which is the default and I really don't find this an issue even on dial-up.

Pup scan is off (unchecked) by default.

I would leave the Scan all files enabled, the web shield is perhaps the most important shield, as the internet is the source of most infection now, especially hacked web sites.
- See http://www.scmagazineus.com/Every-36-seconds-a-website-is-infected/article/140414/ and you will get an idea of how important the web shield is.

Alkaloid

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 05:16:19 AM »
As I said Normal is the default sensitivity (though I have mine set to High) if you are trying to improve downloads setting sensitivity Higher isn't going to achieve that, thought the differences I would say are minimal.

I have All packers which is the default and I really don't find this an issue even on dial-up.

Pup scan is off (unchecked) by default.

Yes, I know the defaults. I said all settings were at default except the ones I listed.

I would leave the Scan all files enabled, the web shield is perhaps the most important shield, as the internet is the source of most infection now, especially hacked web sites

I understand the risk in changing the settings from the default. My concern is that Avast does not scan any files when you change the default setting. Thank you sincerely for your feedback, but you are not addressing the true issue.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 05:36:05 PM »
I can't address the true issue as I don't know the answer. I don't work for Alwil but am an avast user like yourself and one that isn't prepared to change my settings to what you have to test the theory (and possible cause issues on my system).

Sorry but I see little point in what you are trying to do when as I have said as a dial-up user also I don't find an issue with the default settings (as is) and some of the option you have selected would in effect add more load. So for me I have answered what I can.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 08:55:58 PM »
How did you enter the extensions and content-types?
I mean, you said you inserted them "exactly" as you quoted above -- so including the delimiting commas?

These are list controls, i.e. you're supposed to enter them one by one (one extension or content-type per row).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

olddog

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 04:03:37 AM »
.....These are list controls, i.e. you're supposed to enter them one by one (one extension or content-type per row).

Thanks
Vlk

Vlk,
In which case perhaps the help file need some attention

"Web scanning
On this page you can specify which files should be scanned when they are downloaded from the internet. You can specify that all files should be scanned, or just those with particular extensions. If you choose the latter, enter the extensions of the files that should be scanned, separated by a comma. For this feature to be active, the "Enable web scanning" box should be checked on the Main Settings page.

You can also enter the MIME types of files that should be scanned. In both cases, wildcards can be used."

Alkaloid

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »
How did you enter the extensions and content-types?
I mean, you said you inserted them "exactly" as you quoted above -- so including the delimiting commas?

These are list controls, i.e. you're supposed to enter them one by one (one extension or content-type per row).

Thanks
Vlk

Thanks for your help. The following information, then, would seem to be inaccurate:

Fom the Help file:

On this page you can specify which files should be scanned when they are downloaded from the internet. You can specify that all files should be scanned, or just those with particular extensions. If you choose the latter, enter the extensions of the files that should be scanned, separated by a comma. For this feature to be active, the "Enable web scanning" box should be checked on the Main Settings page.

robinson

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:11:39 AM »
Thanks for pointing out this inaccuracy in the help files. As explained by Vlk, the details should in fact be entered one at a time to create a list. The help files will be duly updated in all languages but for now, the offending sentence has been removed. This should be effective from a forthcoming program update. Apologies for any confusion caused.