Author Topic: Avast 5.0.418 -- Password Problem  (Read 6521 times)

perplexed

Avast 5.0.418 -- Password Problem
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:27:12 AM »
Minutes ago, I installed Avast 5.0.418, using the installer to install over 4.8.  (I have XP Pro, SP3, and installed from an admin acct.)  I opened the interface (running from the same acct), and decided to set a password to protect the settings from unauthorized changes.  I entered the pswd twice, as required, and I wrote it down, so I would remember it (tho actually, it was easy to remember - didn't think I needed a strong pswd for this).  All seemed fine, until a few minutes later, when I decided to check the settings.  Avast asked me for the password, and when I typed it, it responded "Wrong password!".  I've tried several times, same msg.

I see that a lot of folks seem to have run into a problem where they are asked for a pswd, even tho they never set one. It seems like there is some bug regarding the password feature. 

Any help?  I understand that it is necessary to install and reinstall, in Safe Mode, first using Add/Remove (or Revo), then rebooting, then using a special removal tool, then rebooting.  And then reinstalling -- but won't the same thing happen again?

Thank you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 5.0.418 -- Password Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:22:01 AM »
I don't know what topics you have seen this in, but I would suspect that these are old and relate to avast 4.8 as yours is the first one that I can recall in version 5.0.

Did you set a password in 4.8 also ?
If so it may be that this is somehow still hanging around in registry, etc. and may be being referred to incorrectly. This is supposition on my part, as a) the registry entries should have been cleared and b) I would have thought the avast5 registry entries would be different to those of 4.8.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here ensure you get the version5 one, aswClear5.exe and save it to your HDD. This version has multiple avast uninstall tools 4.8, 5.0, etc.
  • 1. Now uninstall avast5 (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for avast 4.8, once complete run it again for avast 5.0, reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest avast5 version, reboot.

As to won't it happen again, I don't know why it happened in the first place, so I can't say if it is bound to happen again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

perplexed

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »
Thanks, David.  I am sure your  instructions may come in handy at some point, but right now, my problem has magically been corrected!  I have no idea why (I don't even remember rebooting), but now Avast 5 accepts the password I had set within the program just fine!  (And no, I did not have a pswd set in Avast 4.)

Thanks for your help.  All seems to be well, again!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security