Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe uses ~300,000K VM Size & ashServ.exe using ~20,000K Mem Usage. Fix?  (Read 4381 times)

Metallica_Band

Hello,

I've been trying out Avast! 4.8 and it's been working nicely until recently. AshWebSv.exe has been using over 300,000 K virtual memory but only around 20,000 K when it's this high. I can't stop the process. It won't let me. I don't know if the memory usage is around 20,000 K when the computer restarts though. I do have to restart the computer to knock down the ashWebSv.exe memory back down again and that's the only way I can find to restart that program but the virtual memory still climbs back up to +300,000 K.

I use the latest Firefox. I have WinXP. I have the latest version of Avast! 4.8. Closing Firefox does not affect ashWebSv.exe. It once even duplicated itself and I had two ashWebSv.exe's open. The first ones memory was really high while the second one was restarted that eventually started getting bigger too.

My other problem is I like this program. I was thinking of buying the program after the trial is over. The problem is that my trial is only 2 or 3 days until I find a solution. If I can't find a solution, then I might have to change anti-virus programs again. Is there a way I could extend the trial a bit until I can get the problem fixed?

Also, is it normal for ashServ.exe to be using about 20,000 K Memory Usage? That's the highest program using Memory besides when I have opened multiple Firefox tabs.

Any fix?
 ~ Michael

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Can you activate logging in WebShield?
0. (Disable avast self-defense module: Program settings > Troubleshooting tab of settings.)
1. Edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini file with Notepad (or use step 0 with other text editors).
2. Find the section [WebScanner]
3. Add the line:
    EnableLogging=1
4. Restart Web Shield in XP\Vista (terminate and start again) or whole PC in case of Win98
5. Browse (trying to access some webpages)

The log file are <avast>\data\log\ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws.
They would be accessible when WebShield is terminated again.
Post them here or send by mail to rypacek (at) asw.cz
After that, disable the logging to avoid a big log file.

Oh, enable the self-defense module again after that if you have to follow step 0.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Quote from: Metallica_Band
It once even duplicated itself and I had two ashWebSv.exe's open.

This shouldn't happen and it indicates that your installation isn't correct.
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Aside from finding out what the activity is that the web shield is scanning (Tech's list) as it shouldn't just be using memory VM or otherwise unless it is scanning currently my ashWebSv.exe VM size is 33,048K.

Personally I would be looking at a clean reinstall if the above doesn't reveal anything, but with the proviso that you have to ensure all remnants of a previous AV are clear...
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cteich

Hi, I'm a first timer here on the avast!webforum, and I've been having a problem with this ashWebSv.exe, I've noticed when my computer is loading, it seems to take forever for me to use my computer, once the computer informed me that it had to shut down to protect my computer from damage! I did not freak but took a look at the task manager, and I noticed I have several ashwebsv.exe running, and one was showing  191,200 memory usage, and the other were quite high and going crazy! I'm not a computer whiz kid, I basically know a bit of how a computer works, but I'm not 'advanced'.  I've been reading some of the responses to the questions that others have experienced with this same problem, but the language does go way over my head most of the time.
One thing I would like to ask, I have Spybot search and destroy running on my computer, would having this be one reason I'm having this problem? If so I will immediately disengage it! I have Windows xp home edition
I greatly would appreciate any help on how to deal with this, I'm not liking NOT knowing how to deal with computer problems, and this is a start, I greatly appreciate your patience regarding this matter, it's really frustrating. I like Avast and have used it for years on and off when I'm on line, for I move quite a lot. Thanks for this program it works very well otherwise!
Thank you

ioanna

I have 12-16 strings of ashWebSv.exe in my TaskManager sometimes. It's happened very often the last time. Virtual memory increase till 1GB! (Without these strings - only 500-600MB). I lose 20-30 min to finish these processes and start use my computer. My computer hangs while I have 12-16 strings of ashWebSv.exe. I can't finish this bug.
Help me, I need to reinstall Avast or install new antivirus program?