Author Topic: Avast 5's "PUP Feature" (Potentially Unwanted Programs)  (Read 13252 times)

Jack 1000

Avast 5's "PUP Feature" (Potentially Unwanted Programs)
« on: February 14, 2010, 07:07:21 AM »
I understand that this feature is turned off by default.  How does it work when turned on?  When turned on, does it only active during a scan?  What differentiates a PUP from a virus?  Users running Avast 5, have you used this feature, and did it find any PUP'S?  What was the results you experienced when dealing with Avast's interpretations of these PUP'S?

Jack

steve-ru

Re: Avast 5's "PUP Feature" (Potentially Unwanted Programs)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:36:36 AM »
Same question here!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:56:21 AM »
I'm not completely sure what is the question... this option (for a particular scan) specifies whether even PUP detections should be reported (in the same way as ordinary malware), or whether these detections should be disabled and the corresponding PUP files reported as clean (provided they don't contain other, more serious infection, of course).

As for what PUPs are - various commercial keyloggers, remote administration tools, FTP servers, hacking tools, possibly IRC clients... i.e. tools that some users may knowingly have on their computers, while for others it's a sign of malware infection (because some malware comes bundled with these tools, and misuses them to connect to botnets, to steal user's private data, etc.)

daddybear

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »

Good Morning

I am not very computer literate but have been using (very happily) Avast 4.8 Free for a couple of years and now have updated to Avast 5 Free.

I have the same query as Jack 1000 on Feb. 14th, 2010 regarding the Avast "PUP Feature" and to be more specific:-

1) In each Real Time Shield (where offered under the Sensitivity tab), should the box next to Potentially Unwanted Programs be ticked ?

2) If the answer to the above question is 'Yes' - What should the instructions be regarding what the program should do with any PUPs found ?

3) Should the 'Turn on' button next to PUP be clicked in the scanning instruction screen before commencing the selected scan.

4) Same question as 2) above with regard to scan results.

As these PUP boxes are unticked by default, does this mean that the program is not working to it's fullest capability by leaving them and if they are ticked, will the program keep throwing up result after result like 'false positives' which don't really mean anything.

Hope someone can help me out with a bit of advice here as I am a bit confused and my lack of computer experience isn't helping me.

Best regards

Roy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 02:05:47 PM »
1) In each Real Time Shield (where offered under the Sensitivity tab), should the box next to Potentially Unwanted Programs be ticked ?
If you want it to scan PUPs, yes, you need to check them.

2) If the answer to the above question is 'Yes' - What should the instructions be regarding what the program should do with any PUPs found ?
I'll choose "Ask". PUPs are what the name says: potentially. You can analyze to check if it's prudent to send them to Chest or not. I do not suggest direct deletion.

3) Should the 'Turn on' button next to PUP be clicked in the scanning instruction screen before commencing the selected scan.
??? I'm not following you, you need to check on/off PUPs before the scanning start (not after or in the middle of the scanning).

As these PUP boxes are unticked by default, does this mean that the program is not working to it's fullest capability by leaving them and if they are ticked, will the program keep throwing up result after result like 'false positives' which don't really mean anything.
PUPs are not false positives.
The best things in life are free.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:18:30 PM »
I'll choose "Ask". PUPs are what the name says: potentially. You can analyze to check if it's prudent to send them to Chest or not. I do not suggest direct deletion.

Well if he let it "Move to Chest" I dont think its a big harm. The chest can restore right ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 03:18:53 AM »
Well if he let it "Move to Chest" I dont think its a big harm. The chest can restore right ?
I have fear of Chest... system things... can't boot/logon... I just send "no-system" files to Chest, otherwise, I investigate.
The best things in life are free.

daddybear

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »

Tech - Thanks for reply.

Is it a good idea to scan for PUPs in all the Real Time Shields?

Have understood all your other advice.

Best regards

Roy

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
Well i did no touch the option in the default in free version. But so far if i do all to say ask ask ask ask then when i got multiple virus i will get like 150 windows ? :o