Author Topic: MSVCR90.dll  (Read 31647 times)

gordon451

Re: MSVCR90.dll
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
I'm not sure it's just a matter of requiring SP4 -- although anyone without SP4 needs his/her/its head read  ;D -- because I have SP4  :) and rollup 1.

If I understand psw correctly, any version aimed at W2K would have to bypass ntoskernel.dll and simply drop vc_red.msi and vc_red.cab into whatever temp folder then run vc_rew.msi.

Alternatively, the Avast! website could host the required MSVCR90 files and drop them into WINNT\system32\ which would have the same result.  I do not believe there is any need to register them, as several other apps have used essentially the same method, although that was on W9x...

And yes, Microsoft should be told  ;D

Gordon.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
I just downloaded the rollup1 installer (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B54730CF-8850-4531-B52B-BF28B324C662&displaylang=en)
and extracted kernel32.dll from inside - and the mentioned API function is inside (while it indeed isn't in pure SP4).

As for hosting msvcr90.dll... I am not sure if it's (legally) allowed, maybe it has to be distributed in the form of the full redistributable. (I may be wrong, just speculating.)

psw

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »
Well, maybe yes, but it's not the correct one ;)
This is the one: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en

This one is surely correct (dated August 2008) but not latest ;)
Latest one is 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update'
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2051a0c1-c9b5-4b0a-a8f5-770a549fd78c
and avast! 5 is using this package (dated July 2009) during install ;)

gordon451

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »
AHEM!!!!!  Just to recap:

On Jan 26 I installed .377 -- see the full story at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53953.0.  Basically, the Visual C++ files were missing.

Jan 31, I install .396 -- see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54771.0.  Not only the Visual C++, but ntoskrnl.exe was missing an entry point:
Driver Entry Point Not Found

The \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\aswMon2.sys device driver could not locate the entry point IoGetLowerDeviceObject in driver ntoskrnl.exe

psw asked me to send him my ntoskrnl.exe, which I did.

Feb 14, I install .418 -- this thread.  Once again, no Visual C++.

A number of people besides myself have confirmed the VC++ problem: hake, edmuser, psw:
The problem with avast! v5 on Win2000 is that VS2008 redist can not be installed during avast! installation.
So BEFORE avast! v5 install you should manually copy 3 dll into Win2000 system32 directory. These DLL are MSVCR90.DLL, MSVCP90.DLL and MFC90U.DLL
After these DLL were copied you can start ordinary avast! installation. Now it works in my Win2000 virtual machine. Express scan was completed successfully.

I have W2K SP4 and rollup 1.  kernel32.dll version is 5.0.2195.6688, ntoskrnl.exe version is 5.0.2195.6717.

According to psw, Microsoft stuffed up by not including W2K in the invocation of the HeapSetInformation enry point in ntoskrnl.exe.

It also appears from psw's info that for me a lot of jigging about like a chook at a christening is needed to:
But the only useful part of this package is 2 files from b) (VC_RED.MSI and VC_RED.CAB). These files can be copied manually from temporary directory when error message dialog box is shown.
With these 2 files copied we can launch vc_rew.msi manually and got VS2008SP1 runtime installed both in SYSTEM32 folder and WinSxS store.
and I'm not interested.

I've said this time and again: this is not something we users should have to "work around".  I like the thought that Alwil talks to Microsoft and lets them know of their problem.  OTOH, I won't hold my breath waiting for their reply, I don't look good in purple.

Where do we go from here?

Gordon

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
avast! installer will check if kernel32.dll is new enough (i.e. if it contains this problematic API function), and if not, it shows an error and won't continue.

For you, I'd suggest to reinstall rollup1 (if possible) - the one I downloaded 2 days ago contains kernel32.dll v5.00.2195.7006.
(And, 5.0.2195.6688 is the version of plain SP4, so I actually don't think you have rollup1 installed - or at least it didn't update your kernel32.dll)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 03:26:02 PM »
gordon451, I totally understand the point your making. Users shouldn't be forced into "workarounds" like the above one.

However, I believe that Alwil is the wrong adressee in this plot. It is okay to inform the devs and hint them to talk with MS. I'm sure they will do so. But I doubt that the giant MS will sprint to blizzardly action after Vlk picked up the phone... like: "Hey, Steve, get your ass going, it's Alwil on the phone!"

Basically it's a Win2000 and thus a MS flaw that's causing the trouble.

I'm not sure if it would be legal for Alwil to distribute and copy those 3 files with their installation routine, which - from a technical point of view - would surely be a piece of cake for them.

Where do we go from here? Complain with MS also, send your mail.

I'm afraid there will be no response...

Regards
Zyndstoff  8)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

gordon451

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 04:01:11 PM »
@igor - you're a bloody genius mate!  I could have sworn I had rollup 1 installed  :-[ but I did install a couple of other M$ fixes after...  ???  Anyway, it's in now.

And I'll give 418 another go tomorrow or Sunday.  It's nearly midnight here...

@Zyndstoff -
...I doubt that the giant MS will sprint to blizzardly action after Vlk picked up the phone... like: "Hey, Steve, get your ass going, it's Alwil on the phone!"

Where do we go from here? Complain with MS also, send your mail.

I'm afraid there will be no response...

Regards
Zyndstoff  8)

You're not wrong mate. >:(

Gordon.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »

You're not wrong mate. >:(

Gordon.

*blush*  ::) ...I just love being lauded.

Greetings to Australia.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

gordon451

Re: MSVCR90.dll - SOLVED!
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 06:10:47 AM »
OK.

FIRST, big THANKS to all the devs/evangelists who put up with my tantrums.  psw, you are a genius of the same rank as igor.   ;D

Also, thanks to those who gave advice.  It was listened to, if not always acted on.  ::)

NOW, we need a FAQ for v5, and the first entry should be W2K: system requirements: SP4 and rollup 1.  Rollup 1 contains the updated kernel32.dll and ntoskrnl.exe, without which you will go absolutely nowhere.

I would like to continue slagging and bagging Microsoft -- it's fun  ;D -- but in this case they are actually not responsible.  W2K is an antique product, and the fact that so many people still prefer it is a tribute to Microsoft's engineering.  And I stand by my earlier statement: Anyone who does not have SP4 and rollup 1 needs his/her/its head read.  In my registry, rollup1 is listed under SP5...   ::)  Go figure.

Anyhow, .418 is running fine with no hangs -- I haven't started IE6 yet -- and no dramas.

Gordon.