Author Topic: MSVCR90.dll  (Read 31648 times)

gordon451

MSVCR90.dll
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »
First, thank you to all the nice people on this forum.  Youse do a good job, and please keep it up.

Now, Alwil.  I have just wasted over an hour removing 4.8, rebooting into Safe Mode, using the v4 removal tool, rebooting, scrape the registry clean -- 4 hives -- and then install 5.0.418.

And guess what!!!!!  MSVCR90.dll is missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now I have to scrape out all traces of v5.  I am not happy.

Where is the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) that Avast!5 needs?

The files are certainly included in and installed by the avast! installer.

Sorry Igor, they're not.

I've said it before, but I don't (this time) mind saying it again.  If an app needs certain bits to make it go, then the publisher needs to make customers aware of the fact.  Good, reputable publishers may include the redistributable in the download, or they may point the client to a download facility.  The best publishers host copies on their own websites.  Good, reputable publishers do NOT leave this task to volunteers on the support forums.

Now I am sick and tired of trying to make the wonderful v5 go on this machine.  I really am not going to waste any more time on downloading something which is larger and doesn't even work.  In my book, despite the best efforts of the volunteers on this forum, Alwil is now just another third-rate wannabe.  I'll go for something which works, even if the detection rate is less than 100%.

Oh yeah.  Trying to update a website AND develop a new version needs TWO teams, not one.  The info I get from the Avast! site is, well, what info?

Gordon.

mouniernetwork

Re: MSVCR90.dll
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
First, thank you to all the nice people on this forum.  Youse do a good job, and please keep it up.

Now, Alwil.  I have just wasted over an hour removing 4.8, rebooting into Safe Mode, using the v4 removal tool, rebooting, scrape the registry clean -- 4 hives -- and then install 5.0.418.

And guess what!!!!!  MSVCR90.dll is missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now I have to scrape out all traces of v5.  I am not happy.

Where is the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) that Avast!5 needs?

Sorry Igor, they're not.

I've said it before, but I don't (this time) mind saying it again.  If an app needs certain bits to make it go, then the publisher needs to make customers aware of the fact.  Good, reputable publishers may include the redistributable in the download, or they may point the client to a download facility.  The best publishers host copies on their own websites.  Good, reputable publishers do NOT leave this task to volunteers on the support forums.

Now I am sick and tired of trying to make the wonderful v5 go on this machine.  I really am not going to waste any more time on downloading something which is larger and doesn't even work.  In my book, despite the best efforts of the volunteers on this forum, Alwil is now just another third-rate wannabe.  I'll go for something which works, even if the detection rate is less than 100%.

Oh yeah.  Trying to update a website AND develop a new version needs TWO teams, not one.  The info I get from the Avast! site is, well, what info?

Gordon.

Firstly, have you looked around the forum , do you see that anyone has had this problem ?? I don't so has it occured to you that there was a disfonction in your particular installation ??

Secondly, are you aware of the fact that many programs do indeed install third-party applications like this in order to work ? No because most software do not let you know that so drop your "Good, reputable publishers " speech as in fact it is irrelevant to the issue as it should be included in the installer like igor said and the real issue and question is why it isn't in the installer.

Last but not least, I'm assuming that you have advanced Team/ Software developpement skills since you're telling Alwil how to do they're job ? But then again, given the tone which you are using as well as your arguements aren't that well though out (then it is just an opinion).

So if you would please help alwil to understand the cause f this issue...It would prevent it from ever happening again.

Thank You

Al968

dabeniao

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:29:37 PM »

Sorry Igor, they're not.

I think it is because MSVCR90.dll is included in Windows XP, Vista and 7, but not in Windows 2000. Maybe the ALWIL team forgot about this?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »
The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) is available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP

Finding it took all of 20 seconds using Google.

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »
Good, reputable publishers may include the redistributable in the download, or they may point the client to a download facility.  The best publishers host copies on their own websites.  Good, reputable publishers do NOT leave this task to volunteers on the support forums.

I'm afraid I have to repeat myself - but the corresponding redistributable is included in the installer, and is run during the installation. (If it weren't, we'd see thousands of users having this problem - which we don't.)
So, it seems that the redistributable fails to installs on your machine for some reason...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »

Well, maybe yes, but it's not the correct one ;)
This is the one: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 05:47:48 PM »

Well, maybe yes, but it's not the correct one ;)
This is the one: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en

Looks like I stopped short after finding the original release. :-[  Guess that happens when one isn't having the problem. ::)
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

gordon451

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 01:41:37 PM »
@igor -- OK, I'll scrape out 4.8 again, and reinstall .418 again.  This time I'll look for the install log.  However, it won't be soon, as I normally work 10- or 11-hour days: the weekend looks good... 8)  I should say that there were no error messages until I rebooted, so W2K did not object to the distributable as such.  Having said that, in previous attempts to install and run v5 I was unable to find any trace of the MS*90.dll pack -- I have several other versions, *80, *70, etc in \WINNT\system32\, but no *90.

This download was from the Avast! site, using http://download69.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe.  I assume the installer is able to suss my OS by itself and make the appropriate decisions?

@igor - Ummm...  Silly question time.  In most exe's, if I view them in EditPad I can find a section with a list of dll's.  Looking through earlier v5's, I cannot find any mention of the Visual C++ expressed as MSVCR90.dll.  Should I be able to see it?

@al968 - my mother always said "If you cannot say anything helpful or nice, say nothing."  I'm not into flame wars, so nothing is what I'm saying now.

@Gopher John - Thank you for the links.  As I said in my initial rant, while the many thoughtful members of this forum are more than willing to help this way, they should not have to.  This really is something that Alwill has to do, and I'm going to give it one more go and work with igor to see if the .418 download is trying to install it.

Gordon.

psw

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 02:35:49 PM »
I'm confirming the existence of the problem with this DLL missing. Key point is target system Win2000. I installed Avast 5.0.418 on VM with Win2000SP4. Installation was gone fine, but AvastUI.exe can not started due to this DLL is missed (it is really missed in system32).

psw

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:07:11 PM »
And the reason the this DLL missing is clear now.
Yes. avast! installator calls vcredist_x86.exe for installing missing DLL from VisualStudio2008SP1. But this redist installer can not run on Win2000SP4 system due to missing the required entry HeapSetInformation in the corresponding KERNEL32.DLL. So redist is NOT installed without any information for user.
So workaround is manual copy this DLL from some XP+ system to Win2000 system.

psw

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:15:43 AM »
So it is not Alwil but Microsoft fault.
The only redistributive file which can be spread is vcredist_x86.exe from MS site. System requirements from download page are
    * Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP
    * Minimum: 6 MB (x86)
    * Required Software: Windows Installer 3.0 Windows Installer 3.1 or later is recommended.

But internally this exe is selfextracting archive consisting of:
a) install.exe. install.ini, globdata.ini, vcredist.bmp, a lot of eula text files, a lot of resource DLL for this install.exe
b) vc_red.msi, vc_red.cab

Microsoft fault is the install.exe was written WITHOUT W2K compatibility because it uses for example the function HeapSetInformation which according MSDN requires Windows Vista or Windows XP.
So this install.exe can not run on W2K giving error message.

But the only useful part of this package is 2 files from b) (VC_RED.MSI and VC_RED.CAB). These files can be copied manually from temporary directory when error message dialog box is shown.
With these 2 files copied we can launch vc_rew.msi manually and got VS2008SP1 runtime installed both in SYSTEM32 folder and WinSxS store.

Probably it is worth to inform MS about this fault.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:24:03 AM »
Good work, psw! Kudos.  8)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

gordon451

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 01:54:03 PM »
Well done psw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

gordon451

igor?
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 02:12:55 PM »
@igor -

I'm afraid I have to repeat myself - but the corresponding redistributable is included in the installer, and is run during the installation. (If it weren't, we'd see thousands of users having this problem - which we don't.)
So, it seems that the redistributable fails to installs on your machine for some reason...

And the reason the this DLL missing is clear now.
Yes. avast! installator calls vcredist_x86.exe for installing missing DLL from VisualStudio2008SP1. But this redist installer can not run on Win2000SP4 system due to missing the required entry HeapSetInformation in the corresponding KERNEL32.DLL. So redist is NOT installed without any information for user.
So workaround is manual copy this DLL from some XP+ system to Win2000 system.

I agree with psw.  It's actually not Alwil's fault.  OTOH, someone didn't test thoroughly on W2K systems, or made an assumption, and the minimum requirements for v5 do clearly include W2K -- not even requiring SP4!!!

I'm afraid I really must insist on a suitable minor update...  You may want to liase with pk.  He has my ntoskernel.dll file which is missing the required HeapSetInformation thingy.

Gordon.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »
I agree it's pretty stupid... requiring SP4 just to start the installer (or rather, having a static dependency... i.e. not showing a reasonable error message).
I didn't notice in this particular thread (in your original posts) that we're talking about Win2000.

Yes, it should be fixed somehow... though I'm not sure how; maube the "best" way would be to show an error in avast! installer that SP4 is required (and make sure the same is clearly stated on the web).