Author Topic: SMTP error when i try to send Notification [Verstion 4.8]  (Read 3406 times)

dieterhackl

SMTP error when i try to send Notification [Verstion 4.8]
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »
Hi,

each time, when avast found an virus on my server (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2), i get this entry in eventlog:

Ereignistyp:   Fehler
Ereignisquelle:   avast!
Ereigniskategorie:   (8)
Ereigniskennung:   90
Datum:      14.02.2010
Zeit:      14:39:10
Benutzer:      Nicht zutreffend
Computer:   SERVER
Beschreibung:
SMTP server response: 500 unrecognized command  . 

i am confused about the fact, that i received the email. Although this entry is in the Windows Eventlog.

the file Error.log contains this entry:
14.02.2010   14:39:10   1266154750   admin   7972   SMTP server response: 500 unrecognized command  . 

did anyone know, where i can see an verbose logfile or why this message appear in eventlog?

thx

Hyperus

Re: SMTP error when i try to send Notification [Verstion 4.8]
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 04:28:40 AM »
I too am having issues with Avast Notifications on EVERY site I have deployed in the past 3 weeks - around 12 sites.

The issue *seems* to relate to the UTF-Encoded Subject line from the Avast Clients .... Any help would be appreciated..

here is the pattern so far :-

Avast Client sends local notify to local site Exchange 2003 server that has the Avast Exchange and SMTP connectors installed.
Exchange2003 CANNOT send to/via mail.bigpond.com - keeps getting timeout - Bigpond Support are hopeless to try and get past a silly level 1 tech telling you to restart your DSL modem
Exchange2003 CANNOT send to/via cisco ironport devices - keeps getting timeout - Cisco/Ironport have a case open here and are basically ignoring the case as they likely have no clue and I suspect it has become too hard for them - they have complete SMTP transaction dumps.
Exchange2003 CAN send to another Exchange 2003 server direct (I have used custom SMTP connectors on EACH and EVERY site to work-around this for now)

Any help would be appreciated - I am not completely sure if this is related but it seems suspiciously similar...