Author Topic: Red X > Yellow Exclamation Point upon Initial Boot Up?  (Read 2910 times)

sensibull

Red X > Yellow Exclamation Point upon Initial Boot Up?
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »
Hello,

I'm a recent convert to Avast. Just installed it on my brother's pc, which is an older machine running XP Pro SP3, driven by a 3.2 ghz celeron. I notice that upon boot into XP, Avast loads in the taskbar with a red x over it. After a minute or two, that's replaced by a yellow exclamation point, another few minutes and then finally Avast is good to go. Is this normal?

If so, why do I not see this behavior on my machine, which is more or less contemporary with my brother's, running XP Pro with a Northwood P4 2.4?

Thanks...

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Red X > Yellow Exclamation Point upon Initial Boot Up?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »
It's probably the same as was the case in 4.8, the various shields don't load (or at least don't complete loading) simultaneously.  In 4.8, if you did a mouse-over of the tray icon at that point, you'd see something like "x providers total, y [less than x] providers active". On my own system, the email and web shields were usually the last two to become active.

As you've probably seen elsewhere (or already knew), in 5 the X means no shields are running, and the "!" means some but not all are running.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:06:27 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Jack 1000

Re: Red X > Yellow Exclamation Point upon Initial Boot Up?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:19:58 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it,

After your license and registration is entered and the first couple of restarts are done, Avast should synchronize with your OS very well.  Don't forget to register after installing by opening up Avast and Clicking on Maintenance to fill out the form.  Or an alternative is just to right-click on the Avast ball and select Registration Information.  When you fill out the form and submit it, you should be all set.

Jack