Author Topic: Avast slowing down almost stopping computer.  (Read 3145 times)

elfpattaya

Avast slowing down almost stopping computer.
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:18:26 PM »
Is there a conflict between Avast and Agnitum Firewall Free. Yesterday I booted up my laptop and it would not load, only getting as far as my wallpaper. I opened Windows (XPsp2) in safe mode but that did not work. I tried a System Restore and eventually it loaded, maybe took 20 min's. I then got a message from Avast saying there was a problem, and would I like to fix the issue. I clicked the box , but nothing happened. I eventually removed Avast with Revo, and everything was back to normal. I have now reinstalled Avast and everything is working well again. This was the 3rd time I have done this, I knew there were teething problems, but surely everything should be O.K, now. I am thinking of trying a new AV, and have looked at Avira, but that seems to be trouble, and AVG is a total waste of space. So come on Avast and try and keep up the good work I've used you for 2 years and never had a problem until I upgraded to Avast 5. I also use Malwarebytes free is that a problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast slowing down almost stopping computer.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
Not for me there isn't and I have used avast for almost 6 years and the Outpost firewall for even longer.

You don't say what the full version of Outpost firewall that you are using, latest is 6.7.3 ?
Have you got the anti-spyware module in Outpost enabled (it should recognise avast is installed and disable it) ?

If you don't you will have a extended boot times due to duplication of scanning as outposts anti-spyware is very active on boot and this cause avast to intercept and scan files it wants to open.

XP SP3 has been out for over 18 months and closes several vulnerabilities and improves overall security, whilst I believe this is unrelated to the problem, there could be other such old programs. 
- I would also suggest a visit to this site, which scans your system for out of date programs that have patches to close vulnerabilities, http://secunia.com/software_inspector/.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

elfpattaya

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:13:26 PM »
I am using Outpost firewall free, version 6.5.1, it has no spyware only the firewall, I like it because it warns me when something asks for an outbound connection. I only play the basic games e.g. solitaire and I don't see why they need an outbound connection. I also removed the firewall and reinstated it, and there is no problem now , boots up in about a minute. I have a problem upgrading to XPSP3, see where I live, where everything is dodgy. At present everything is Hunky Dory just hope it remains that way.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
Try a repair of avast in the control panel and then click on add/remove programs then change/remove avast.
Scroll download click on repair and click next after that restart the computer to see if there is still that problem.

Do you have avast 4.8 before if yes download you should uninstall avast 5.0 run the tool for avast 4.8 here:
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Choose aswClear.exe and follow the step written :)

Have a nice day ;D

elfpattaya

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:50:24 PM »
Everything seems to be O.K. now, after uninstalling both with Revo, and reinstalling. Just hope it stays this way. Don't really fancy any other AV, I've been very happy with Avast. Also I like the Outpost Firewall free version, because it asks you about outbound connections, which Windows Firewall does not, it also has a good learning mode, so you are not bothered with too many pop ups.
Thank you all for your help.