Author Topic: FYI - Ticket ZRO-521607 submitted (Application Crash)  (Read 3092 times)

adam_72

FYI - Ticket ZRO-521607 submitted (Application Crash)
« on: February 14, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »
Application Crash of AvastUI.exe ... Real Time protection was also gone since EICAR test file was not blocked subsequently !

Avast free 5.0.418 on Windows 7 x64

2 corresponding events form eventviewer copied into attached AppCrash_AvastUI_report.txt

Hope it helps !

[unnoted in ticket: crashed 3x today]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:20:40 PM by adam_72 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: FYI - Ticket ZRO-521607 submitted (Application Crash)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 08:25:50 PM »
Any corresponding dump files?
(either in the form of unpXXXXXX files in C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log folder, or associated with the Windows Error Reporting)
Thanks.

adam_72

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »
@igor: sure, I found the crashdumps

Due to filename & filesize restrictions (also not allowed to send PM) I had to compress the dumps and change the file extension to .log ... please rename file to .rar before opening ... thanks !

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:45:50 AM »
Thanks for dumps, it looks like a synchronization issue.

However, could you please write me what exactly did you do to get avastui crash? I mean, was it a special testing scenario? What exactly did you mean when you said: "Real Time protection was also gone since EICAR test file was not blocked subsequently"? Thanks.

adam_72

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:43:04 AM »
AFAIR every time it crahed I was doing something within the Avast GUI (I think trying to set up a custom scan, at least twice out of the three crashes). EDIT: And I think there were quite a few applications running in the background - can't tell you though what exactly, sorry.

Suddendly windows reported that Avast is not working properly and had to be closed, also the tray icon was gone

After the AvastUI.exe crashed, I was courios if realtime protection was still up ... to my surprise I was able to access and save all eicar test-files at http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm without any warning.

A manual relaunch of the Avast GUI from the start menu brought back the tray icon and protection (-> eicar was blocked again)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:51:24 AM by adam_72 »

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »
Hi, thanks for the report

I mannaged to reproduce this crush when a scheduled scan is starting while the settings window is opened .

did you have some scheduled scans? where they scheduled around so start the time you got the crush?

thanks, Yonatan

adam_72

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 01:22:29 PM »
No scheduled scans on my machine ... It's possible that a paused MBAM scan was hiding in the background, though not sure about this ! (Noticed it hours after I submitted the ticket, don't know if it was already active when avast crashed)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:28:15 PM by adam_72 »