Author Topic: PC was slow after I migrate to 5.0  (Read 7255 times)

luizantonio

PC was slow after I migrate to 5.0
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
Hi,
I was using 4.8 version and my PC was fast. I updated to 5.0 and my PC is slow to load the 2  browsers default page that I use.
Now I have to try three times to load the full page, until it appears “done” at the end of window.
I turned off the Smart Screen filter and the velocity increased.
I tried uninstall v. 5.0 and reinstall v. 4.8 and then all was normal, so I think I don't  do the configurations very well for  v.5.0 …
Anyone can help me, if you please?
This is my PC:
AMD Sempron LE-1200 x86 on a mother board
ASRock N68-S
Ram 1 Kingston 1024 MB
Ram 2 Supertalent  1024MB, with a total DDR2 of 1.75 GB
Adaptors NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a
Router WIFI DLink DI-524 model 2.4 GHz 802.11g
OS Windows XP Home SP3
Browsers IE8 and Firefox v. 3.6 Mozilla
Thank you.
Regards
Luiz

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
Re: PC was slow after I migrate to 5.0
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »
may be it is generatin its cache"i dont know"
but in general you can clean and optimize your system by glary utilities then defrag your hard driver,then reboot and you will see the different
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »
Super i dont recommand Glary i had many complaint that its contain Win32:Induc. Something like that. So if you search a clean tools i recommand you CCleaner or other wise you can try your one who is in your windows.

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:30:12 PM »
i have bought tune up utilties,but if you download glary from a known website like softpedia it will be clean.
you get some problems from glary"Induc"coz glary programmed in Delphi ;)
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

luizantonio

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »
Thank you superhacker and Mr.Agent, I did as your considerations, cleaning my system, but it's still slow. I'm inclined to believe that avast 5.0 is avoiding to take the cache, so the system has to spend time loading the frames and so on. When I used avast 4.8 this wasn't happen, so my machine doesn't have problems (I think...). I don't believe in register errors caused by conflict among 2 antiviruses, because I used ever the avast. These programs like CCleaner, Glary, Advanced SystemCare aren't able to do so great damage (conflict), as also I've used them a lot, to clean the PC weekly, as I do also a defrag, directly from Win tools.

In the other hand, I'll check the sets of the router filters that can interact with the new capabilities of v. 5.0

Thank you anyway.

Best regards.

Luiz

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:37:43 AM »
IMHO Avast 5 takes more horse power to run than Avast 4.8 did. 5 has to be more of a hog than 4.8 because it does so much more.
I can see the difference between 4.8 Home and 5 free on a 3 ghz Intel quad core and 8 gigs of ram. I would guess a low end system like yours would get slammed.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Jack 1000

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:43:47 AM »
IMHO Avast 5 takes more horse power to run than Avast 4.8 did. 5 has to be more of a hog than 4.8 because it does so much more.
I can see the difference between 4.8 Home and 5 free on a 3 ghz Intel quad core and 8 gigs of ram. I would guess a low end system like yours would get slammed.

On my XP System, Avast 5 is much lighter on resources that version 4.  This is also well documented.

Did the OP install over 4.8?  This is not recommended.  For best results, uninstall 4.8 and than iinstall 5.0.

Jack

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »

On my XP System, Avast 5 is much lighter on resources that version 4.  This is also well documented.

Did the OP install over 4.8?  This is not recommended.  For best results, uninstall 4.8 and than iinstall 5.0.

Jack

Please explain how its lighter on resources. Less memory used? Task manager processes tab only shows executable files. I don't think memory usage is the problem anyway. Avast 5 bottle necks hard drive and or memory performance. Seems to also bottle neck web traffic. It almost seems like Avast 5 is not allowed enough CPU time to keep from bottle necking. BTW I agree about the clean install being the way to go.

Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Jack 1000

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 07:46:35 PM »

On my XP System, Avast 5 is much lighter on resources that version 4.  This is also well documented.

Did the OP install over 4.8?  This is not recommended.  For best results, uninstall 4.8 and than iinstall 5.0.

Jack

Please explain how its lighter on resources. Less memory used? Task manager processes tab only shows executable files. I don't think memory usage is the problem anyway. Avast 5 bottle necks hard drive and or memory performance. Seems to also bottle neck web traffic. It almost seems like Avast 5 is not allowed enough CPU time to keep from bottle necking. BTW I agree about the clean install being the way to go.

When I had Avast 4.8, I would sometimes get fade-in screens when right-clicking on the Desktop or right-clicking on the Avast System Tray ball.  The techs here thought it was a memory thing.  I would get this after several days on a regular basis.  Since upgrading to version 5 I got it maybe once.  I downloaded the Windows XP Power Toys Tweak UI utility, learned how to go under Templates to get unwanted icons out of my right-click Desktop Start Up Menu and for the past several weeks, I don't get the fade-in's at all anymore.

My system just feels lighter and faster.

Jack

luizantonio

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 01:59:43 AM »
Jack suggested above:
"On my XP System, Avast 5 is much lighter on resources that version 4.  This is also well documented.
Did the OP install over 4.8?  This is not recommended.  For best results, uninstall 4.8 and than install 5.0.
Jack"

Well, my fellow, I did that and also removed the register from the regedit in order to completely clean all traces of both 4.8 'n 5.0.xxx, and then reinstall 4.8 version. It was running fast. Then I repeated clean operation and had installed the v. 5.0.xxx (obtained from filehippo). Nothing appreciable happens in the download velocity of site pages (in other words: it remains slow using v. 5.0.xxx).

Rgds

luizantonio

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 02:10:31 AM »
to wondrwrench:

I can suppose that my PC is an old diligence from the Farwest, and that it concerns to slow speed of response. But, sometimes, there is no lag time and I became lost.

tks Luiz

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 03:03:19 AM »
to wondrwrench:

I can suppose that my PC is an old diligence from the Farwest, and that it concerns to slow speed of response. But, sometimes, there is no lag time and I became lost.

tks Luiz

The main reason I used Avast 4.8 home was because it did not noticeably affect a PC's performance. Avast 5 is a different story, its like most if not all other Antivirus/AntiMalware products I have tested. In that it has a noticeable negative affect on PC performance. Now it seems many people think I'm nuts and claim Avast 5 lighter and fluffier than 4.8. Well I'm not seeing that. I keep my PC's in a lean and clean state so anything that affects performance can easily be seen. I wonder if most peoples PC's are so bogged down they cant see the performance hit 5 has over 4.8?

Is Avast 5 usable? Sure if you can live with the performance loss. As I said most if not all newer aka better Antivirus/AntiMalware products are going to affect performance, you choose which one. I do think Avast 5 has huge potential to be one of the best Antivirus/AntiMalware products once they get the bugs worked out. Keep in mind 4.8 was out near forever and its going to take time to get 5 as polished as 4 was.