Author Topic: AVAST DOWNLOAD trouble  (Read 3727 times)

kleb94

AVAST DOWNLOAD trouble
« on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:04 AM »
I have used Avast free home service for years and recently had a virus infect my computer and I had my hard drive wiped clean. I re-installed AVAST but recently I received a message that my key was going to expire via a red-pop up box on the tool bar; i clicked the box and was redirected to the avast web-page where it prompted me to install the latest version. When i try to install the new version a message pops up mid installation saying:

Setup has detected another program that requires your computer to reboot. You must reboot the computer before installing avast. Once the system is rebooted, you must restart setup. If you continue avast may not work correctly.

I have tried to reboot and i get the same message. I have continued and installed and Avast does not operate.

Does anyone have some advice??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AVAST DOWNLOAD trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:51:22 AM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

At least, can you know or guess which was that "other" program that requires a reboot?
The best things in life are free.