Author Topic: Please Test Avast Against This Site...  (Read 13218 times)

ioyuioynx

Re: Please Test Avast Against This Site...
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 08:29:57 AM »
That's my point. Avast 4.8 is always placed near the middle of the pack, never at the top. Why is this the case, if in the Avast labs they think  Avast is doing as well as Norton 2010 or Kaspersky 2010?

ioyuioynx,
I suspect the main purpose of your questions is predominantly just argumentative.
No, not at all. I apologise if it sounds that way.
Contrary to what you may think...I quite like Avast, and have recommended it to lots of people.
I just want it to be the best....thats all. :-)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 09:19:46 AM »
You should then define first what are the mesurement requirements to be "the best"?

For me, personally, I define it like this: very high detection rate of the live-shields, low system impact, inexpensive, good overall coverage.

My conclusion is this (again, only my personal rating): avast has a high detection rate without many FP, it uses very few system resources, it is free and it has all the features that need to be paid in other solutions (e.g. mail scanning and web shield compared to avira).
This makes it "the best" foe me.

Of course one may come to other conclusion. If you want 100% detection, you will maybe use avira and take a higher FP-rate.

I just think that avast is the best overall-package, well balanced between efficency and impact (both on my computer and my purse)  ;D

And again: only my opinion and personal rating.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Mikos

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »
Same here...

In terms of coverage, it is Avast that provides the best so far, covering many of a regular net users vulnerability as a Tool for protection.

I also believe in its advocacy that the free product should not in any way be inferior from the paid version. I believe this approach will encourage a lot to get the paid one since if the free product is good, how much more if you get the paid version.

GhOstMaStEr

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »
Think twice before asking request .. avast is free. So dont ask more than should..

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 08:00:54 PM »
Keep in mind that we've had all kinds of discussions (and arguments) about the validity and usefulness of comparative a-v tests, probably going clear back to the first introduction of avast and of the forums here.  While there's obviously not a unanimous consensus, there does seem to be widespread agreement (here, anyway) that how well the product works for you is a much greater factor than how it performs in third-party testing.  And especially in how those testing results are reported and ranked.

As for me, I've been quite happy with avast for years, and in particular I don't think any competing product can match it for support and assistance, particularly in these forums.  Sure, v5 is still having "growing pains", but the Alwil folks are doing a marvelous job of dealing with those as quickly as possible.  Look how far they've come just from 377 to 418, in a very short time-span.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »
Yeah, I agree.
However, those tests do have some sense. I'd rather have an AV product with a detection rate above - lets say - 90% than one of those below 80%...
But it's true: the important part is your personal like and/or dislike - and the support you can find in case you need it.
And there are two great forum: the antivir forum (also in German language, of course) and this forum.

So my choice is avast. If I had problems with english language, I'd probably switch to antivir. Lucky me, I do speak English.  ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear