Author Topic: Boot scan - stops at 96%  (Read 5502 times)

peg645

Boot scan - stops at 96%
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:08:12 PM »
Hi - am brand new to Avast. Attempting to solve major computer issues, and before reinstalling Windows, trying to make sure there are no viruses.

Had BSOD last week - have been online with Dell extensively - Windows can run for awhile, then freezes. Dell thinks I have a bad driver, and have forwarded me a new Windows disc. Trying not to go there. Whatever is wrong also causes fan not to work while Windows is on - been using external one - Dell diagnostics says hardware fine, their tech thinks missing/corrupt driver probably not signalling fan to run.

Had AVG on the system, and local computer tech said to try Avast instead.  Downloaded Avast - couldn't register, then it immediately said my registration had expired - tried getting key from another computer which didn't work. Left computer alone 1 week. Removed Avast.  Reloaded it.  Registration went fine. Appears to work. When starting 1st scan with Avast, it found issues - within seconds identified something, went past anything I could write down - said the chest was too full, and should I just delete the files, which I did. I know of no report which advises what it found. Now when regular scan done, says no infection.

Decided to do a boot scan. Took hours, and it stopped at "scanning 96%, c:\winsock:dll:zone. Identifier. # searched folders: 11861, # tested files 601133, infected files: 0".  Since there was a count, I assumed it was done. I hit escape and it advised I had interrupted the scan.

I ran the boot scan again last night and it is again stopped at "scanning 96%, c:\winsock:dll:zone. Identifier. # searched folders: 11895, # tested files 602449, infected files: 0".

Can I trust that the scan was completed? Does it ever get to 100%?

Thanks - this is all so confusing...

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Boot scan - stops at 96%
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:19:01 PM »
As I understand your post, you are planning to reinstall Windows anyway?
So don't bother checking for anything.
Save your personal files on an external disk, then format your drive and reinstall, using the new disc provided by Dell.
Before putting your files back on the HD, scan them whilst still on the external.

btw: what are your system specs? Operating Sys Version?

I'd also recommend to download and burn a live Ubuntu CD (Ubuntu.com) and boot with that once to check the hardware (e.g. the cpu-fan).
Ubuntu comes with the program gparted, it's great to delete the Win-partition and start from scratch to definetily get rid of any possible virusses before reinstalling Win.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:24:16 PM by Zyndstoff »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

peg645

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »
Thanks - am trying to avoid reinstalling Windows - this is a 3 year old work computer for a law firm - I can't even begin to imagine the updates, etc. I'd have to do, although granted, most files are Word.  I understand reinstalling Windows is always Dell's first recommendation - nice if you have the time and don't have real work to do. 

The computer was sold with Windows XP Home - Dell sent me a new XP Professional disc.  The Dell is a Vostro 1500 - not sure of further - writing from an old computer while I wait to see if the 96% ever gets to 100%.

I have been reading about last week's BSOD caused from a recent update for Windows XP/malware on the computer, but we started having problems a few days before this update. This also happened right after reviewing a 2200 pg. document using Adobe 5.1. I scanned the CD with Avast, and it was ok. I'm also reading there are some issues with some kind of Adobe Viewer allowing bad stuff through...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Yeah... it seems your system is a bit outdated. Adobe Reader is in v9.3 already.

If the CD sent to you is an XP with SP3 (Service Pack 3), than it will take less time to install new than to clean an infected system - if it is infected at all.

You could also do the following: have an online scan done (e.g. TrendMicro housecall), and do a thorough scan with avast.
If they don't show any threats, you might then do an online scan with Secunia PSI. It will help you find all the software that needs updating.
Update everything that is recommended.

But, to be honest: a clean new installation of Win XP would probably be the best thing, as it seems that there has not been much maintenance on the system for the past years. I wouldn't trust this system.
Free MBAM Clear

peg645

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:04:44 PM »
Sorry, I'm mistaken - we have the full version of Adobe since we need it for the law firm, and I believe it is at least 8.? - was trying to rely on my memory, since the affected computer is still trying to run the boot scan.

But I'm encouraged that you feel it would be easier to simply do a clean install. I'm at least able to run the machine sufficiently to backup files.  It just freezes after any significant use - i.e. trying to open more than a couple of windows, using Outlook, etc.

Also good to know about the online scan availability, since we are often mobile, and local tech has not been responsive.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks again.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 03:10:06 PM »
I presumed that you do have a copy of all your paid software installers. That's vital. Also don't forget to save all your bookmarks, contacts and mailbox server settings.  ;D why do I write that? Because I have forgotten something almost anytime I restored a system. Good preparation saves you tons of time later on.

Btw.: just to make sure you know: after installing Win XP, you can download Windows Defender from Microsoft and install (I believe it is not included with XP automatically).
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
Even Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader 9.3 have vulnerabilities.  There should be a security release tomorrow.

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-07.html

Adobe Shockwave Flash and Adobe Air released security updates last week.

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-06.html

Security updates for OS and third party software are critical now.  The criminals are really ramping up their efforts.  Whereas the hackers used to do it for publicity, now it is for profit so malware is meant to keep a low profile to avoid detection as long as possible.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 03:37:36 PM »
Even Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader 9.3 have vulnerabilities.  There should be a security release tomorrow.

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-07.html

Adobe Shockwave Flash and Adobe Air released security updates last week.

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-06.html

Security updates for OS and third party software are critical now.  The criminals are really ramping up their efforts.  Whereas the hackers used to do it for publicity, now it is for profit so malware is meant to keep a low profile to avoid detection as long as possible.

True, sadly.
But even driving a car to the corner-store is dangerous - but would you refrain from driving?
You just have to do the best you can to secure yourself. That is e.g. only download updates from trusted sources and keep everything you need up to date. And don't install more than you really do need. Unfortunately nowadays you just have to put a "free!" somewhere and thousands will download it without even trying to start their brain...
People are stupid, and as long as they are, there will always be someone there trying to pull their leg.
 8)
Free MBAM Clear

peg645

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:42:50 PM »
Thanks to you both - I do have all the original software, and am compiling a list of all the steps to take - pinching my nose and jumping in with both feet.  =-0

...and I hadn't thought of the mail server settings, etc., just e-mails, docs, favorites...having install CDs ready...

I had also read about Windows Defender, but wasn't sure with Avast if it should/could be used together.

And I'll keep an eye out for the Adobe security - we use Acrobat extensively for Court filings...

This machine was only protected with AVG, and as a work machine, we had been rather careful of downloads - of course my old "junk" machine is running fine, albeit pretty slow...

Thanks again - hope to return only to say "thanks, it worked!"

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
...there was AVG installed before you switched to avast? That might have also caused some trouble.

Don't forget to save the avast license file!

Good luck.
Free MBAM Clear