Author Topic: What's New in avast! 5 (and how to stop green notice)?  (Read 16846 times)

Offline Muad'Dib

• The underwater sound of the Antarctic Ocean
What's New in avast! 5 (and how to stop green notice)?
« on: February 15, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »
1) Is there a link to a list as to what is new in avast! 5 over v4.8 (preferably on the download site rather than the forum)?  I tried searching for both "what's new" and "version history" and didn't get any hits.  The only thing I could find was a short list:

New user interface
Better performance
Safe and uninterrupted gaming
Fully compatible with new Windows 7

Which (other than Win 7 compatibility) doesn't tell me anything specific.

I also tried searching the forum to at least get some partial list, but couldn't find anything really useful without having to possibly slog through a LOT of posts (just bits & pieces of info here & there).

2) Also, is there a way to turn off the green pop-up box telling me that there's a version 5 available for download (I'm still running 4.8 and don't want to upgrade yet - especially not until I know what's new)?  I've got the Update (Basic) settings on Manual (for both database & program), yet I'm still getting the pop-up.  It happened once during a presentation, and that's really annoying! :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:06:15 PM by Muad'Dib »

Jon_T

Re: What's New in avast! 5 (and how to stop green notice)?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
1)
Link below is the "Compare by technologies" chart:
http://www.avast.com/comparison-chart#tab3

The items noted "new" are the new features of avast! 5 Home, Pro and IS versions.

You can download a Quick Start Guide for avast! 5 Home, Pro and IS at:
http://www.avast.com/download-documentation
(The User Manuals are still for the 4.8 versions.)

You can find more info at the avast.com site.

2) Yes in avast! Settings.

petusalem

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »
2)

No Jon_T. He is using 4.8.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:56:43 PM »
1) Is there a link to a list as to what is new in avast! 5 over v4.8
(I'm still running 4.8 and don't want to upgrade yet - especially not until I know what's new)?
jepp he got 4.8... ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:58:37 PM by Pondus »

Jon_T

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »
2)

No Jon_T. He is using 4.8.
Ooops -- my bad.  :-[ Read the "Also, is there a way to turn off the green pop-up box ..".

Eyes focus on the "green pop-up" box. Only installed avast! 5 Pro one of my systems, and with with avast! 5, where the pop-up update is green.  Still using 4.8 Pro on my other system, and as today Mon (02/15) still only have the standard blue pop-up that the database has been updated; i.e., no green pop-up notification for avast! 5 program update. (yes I have auto update setup for both defs and program)

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »
Thanks Jon_T for the links to what's new.  That does help give me most of the info I want.  Now all I need is a way to stop the 'new version' pop-up from appearing.

The closest thing I can see in v4.8 to your v5 image is a "Show sliding box after automatic updates" (which is currently checked).  Do you think unchecking this may stop the new version notice from appearing?  I'll try it, but it doesn't seem to fit my description (though the green notice is a box and it does seem to 'slide' up!).

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 10:32:14 PM »
see page 37, down in the right corner there is a details tab, if you click it there is moore settings, one called "silent" don`t know if it will work

http://download796.avast.com/files/manuals/user-manual-home-eng.pdf

found the picture here but text in Norwegian......
http://www.driftspartner.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=160&cntnt01returnid=96
It is on the left side of the tree last pictures where it says "Stille" (silent)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:39:53 PM by Pondus »

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
Pondus,

1) I can't seem to download the manual (I keep getting error messages - have tried direct and right-click to download).  Can you suggest another link?

2) The images on your link look more complex than in my program screens (admittedly it's hard to be positive going from Norwegian to English).  I should mention that on my current machine, I'm running the free version of v4.8.  Could this be the cause of different images?

UPDATE:  I may have found the same screen on my version, but I'm now wondering if I have to turn the running mode to "SILENT" in order to simply turn off this one notice.  When I actually manually update the database (and in the past, the program), I'd like to get status notifications of the progress.  But this new version notice pops up even when I'm not updating anything with avast!.  If I have to turn all notices off, I'll do so.  But I thought by having the updates done manually, then I wouldn't get info except when I'm actually doing the updates.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:15:41 PM by Muad'Dib »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
only one way to fiend out, try silent and see what is happening the next week

and if you don`t like the " car stereo " look of avast, here is how to disable it
How to disable avast! anti-virus's default skin
http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=24
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:25:26 PM by Pondus »

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 11:25:13 PM »
Yup, I guess so!  :-[

Thanks for your help, even though it's not the answer I'd like, it is appreciated!

Jon_T

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 11:53:16 PM »
Pondus,

1) I can't seem to download the manual (I keep getting error messages - have tried direct and right-click to download).  Can you suggest another link? ...
Did you try downloading User Manual from?:

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 12:10:07 AM »
Pondus,

1) I can't seem to download the manual (I keep getting error messages - have tried direct and right-click to download).  Can you suggest another link? ...
If he clicked the link i gave, yes. It goes direct to the english pdf.doc

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 12:19:06 AM »
Pondus,

1) I can't seem to download the manual (I keep getting error messages - have tried direct and right-click to download).  Can you suggest another link? ...
If he clicked the link i gave, yes. It goes direct to the english pdf.doc

My bad.  I was (logically) trying to save the PDF to the avast! folder, but avast! makes that folder read-only, so every attempt to save it there failed.  I discovered this by trying the same thing with another browser, but this browser gave me a more useful error message.  So I saved it elsewhere - problem solved! :)

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 12:26:35 AM »
Unfortunately, the documentation says NOTHING about 'sliding box' or even 'Update options', even though both terms are used in the 'Details' section of Update (Basic) - grrrrr!  ???

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:28 AM »
Okay, unchecking the 'sliding box' option does NOT work.  :(

So I'm still looking for a way to turn off the pop-up (without silencing all notifications when I do a manual update) - maybe editing an INI file?