Author Topic: What's New in avast! 5 (and how to stop green notice)?  (Read 16848 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What's New in avast! 5 (and how to stop green notice)?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 02:22:02 AM »
I guess you didn't check the avast help file, see image (F1 key when the UI is open). From the avast Settings, Updates section, Details, click the small inverted triangle to expand the Details. Uncheck the Show notification box after automatic update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Muad'Dib

• The underwater sound of the Antarctic Ocean
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 02:31:21 AM »
I'm using v4.8, so the options are slightly different.

The equivalent in v4.8 seems to be "show sliding box after automatic update".

I tried unchecking that box (and then clicking OK twice), but later on the "update to v5" notification still appears.  So that doesn't seem to be the fix.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 02:37:59 AM »
That is a different question to the one I addressed, I thought your only concern was to stop the notification after an update and thought you were on 5.0 already.

Honestly 5.0 isn't the minefield you think it is, yes some people have had a problem and this is a support forum so this is where they come to with their problems. The ones who have no problems don't come here (well very few of them) to say they have installed and haven't had any problems.

I don't know is setting the Update (Basic) Program update to Manual would stop the pop-up you mention as it is currently set to Ask.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 02:51:19 AM »
Here's my current screenshot:

Both update options are set to MANUAL (left side), and on the right side is the box I unchecked to NOT "Show sliding box after automatic update".  As I said, unchecking it did not stop the notices.

As to whether or not I'll eventually upgrade to v5 is besides the point.  This notice never occurred until about a week ago.  I need it to stop (without upgrading to v5 for now). 

The computer I'm using is used for public presentations daily.  I currently can't risk ANY problems having to do with an upgrade.  And because it's used for presentations, I don't want pop-ups appear during the presentation (which has already happened once).

If I didn't need to connect to a network in order to run the presentations, I'd just turn off avast! until the presentation was over.  But because I need net access while I'm presenting, I'd rather not turn off the AV software while it's connected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 03:01:20 AM »
As I said I don't know if that would work as essentially it isn't part of the update, but something else, Alwil trying to cycle users through the Update to avast5 to try and balance server load.

Is this avast 4.8 pro that you are using, as the only thing I can think of outside of what has been suggested is it might be tied to the ad in the 4.8 home version or possibly the iNews option.

I take it that your presentation are in full screen mode ?
If so perhaps the option not to display whilst in gaming or full screen mode.

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 03:24:35 AM »
DavidR,

Yes, this machine is running v4.8 home.

No, the presentation isn't solely in full screen mode (only some of it - the other part is actual software demonstrations), so checking the full screen option will only help some of the time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »
Theoretically if it is used for public presentations it should be the Pro version I would ave thought, and that doesn't have the ad that 4.8 home has. I don't know if that is 4.8 ad causing the display points about the new avast5 or not.

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 05:46:07 AM »
DavidR,

The machine is a personal machine, and the presentations are not for any business purpose (it's a presentation at school).  BTW, here's the pop-up I've been talking about (finally got a screen grab of it):

P.S.  Unrelated to the above (but related to your avatar): Blue Skies?  ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:07:42 AM by Muad'Dib »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 06:55:31 AM »
Or you can just update to a superior avast! 5.0...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

YoKenny

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
Or you can just update to a superior avast! 5.0...

+1

By the way, relating to DavidR's avatar:
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving's not for you.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:33:26 AM by YoKenny »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 11:59:54 AM »
I am a little confused, the setting there is manual, NOT ask, so surely it shouldn't be showing that popup ???

YoKenny

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 12:26:36 PM »
@ spg SCOTT

I am confused.

What is Win7 FC?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 12:28:35 PM »
Agree with spg SCOTT.

Perhaps at one time you ran a trial of avast 5, Muad'Dib.
If so, then there may still be remnants of avast 5 in your system.

@YoKenny - I wish it to mean Football Club because I'm hoping to join soon.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:31:06 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 12:40:29 PM »
@ spg SCOTT

I am confused.

What is Win7 FC?

Windows 7 Firewall Control...It was all I could fit into my sig, and I wanted the quote to still be there. Maybe I should change it, it is a bit confusing... :)

EDIT: Changed it now, and it fits :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:42:43 PM by spg SCOTT »

Jack 1000

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »
That's strange that he's getting that pop-up notice with BOTH definitions and program updates set to Manuel.  Personally, I would at least set the definitions file to Automatic, BUT to deselect the Automatic Update "Show Sliding Box" if you don't want to be interrupted during your presentations.  Keep this in mind, not just for Avast 4.8, but for 5.0 as well.

Seriously, you run a greater risk of infection by having manual updates at manual and messing something up than having the definitions file update automatically.  I would still set the Program updates to "Ask When Update is Available." Set your Database Definitions to Automatic.  You can make those changes, turn off the sliding box after automatic update, but at least you will be protected.

What element is distracting during your presentations?  Is it the voice that announces the update or the sliding box itself?  Your answers to these questions may help us to guide you in setting up the program.  But I definitely would say, put the database definitions to automatic at least.

5.0 works great provided that you uninstall 4.8 first for best results.  The default setting is what I use for 5.0, which is the same as 4.8 is the following:

1.) Update Virus Database......Automatic

2.) Update Program...Ask when update is needed

In terms of solving your problem with 4.8, have you tried uninstalling 4.8 and reinstalling 4.8 to see if that makes a difference? (Yes you would have to re-register your license key.)  OR, you could just uninstall 4.8, get 5.0, after the AV updates,  right-click on the Registration Tab, fill out the form, click submit, and get protected for 12 months.

Jack
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:20:10 AM by Jack 1000 »