Author Topic: What's New in avast! 5 (and how to stop green notice)?  (Read 16813 times)

Offline Muad'Dib

• The underwater sound of the Antarctic Ocean
Re: What's New in avast! 5 (and how to stop green notice)?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »
In response to several questions about the problem I'm having.

1) I've never installed v5 (trial or otherwise). I didn't even know about v5 until the green pop-up started.

2) It's the visual pop-up that's a problem, I'm not getting any voice announcing the update (if I had, I would have probably turned off avast! completely!).

3) I realize the risks of manual updates, but it's a risk I consciously take.  I update definitions frequently and scan often, but these are done on my schedule.  With settings to manual, I've never had any pop-up from avast! until now. 

4) I will probably eventually update to v5, but at this point I can't afford the time to do so, or even the (probably tiny) risk that there may be problems when I do so.  So for now v4.8 is what I'm staying with.

The only thing I'm trying to find out at this point is how to turn off the green box without turning off avast!.  I appreciate the advice on how to better protect my machine, but that is getting beyond the scope of my current problem.  Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 04:45:45 PM »
The Green pop-up is the old 4.8 program update notification, which 'should' be gone if you opted for Manual program updates, why it isn't I don't know. This however, may be considered an important update and the normal policy of not displaying it is being over ridden, but as an avast user I don't know this.

But you also spoke of another window giving details about version5 or is it just this box.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »
The Green pop-up is the old 4.8 program update notification, which 'should' be gone if you opted for Manual program updates, why it isn't I don't know. This however, may be considered an important update and the normal policy of not displaying it is being over ridden, but as an avast user I don't know this.

Yes I think you're right DavidR. But I have to think back over this one as I'm nearly always on avast 5 now. I usual have program update set for Manual. and I may recall getting a similar pop-up once a little ago, maybe two weeks, one week ago, and I would have clicked through to update, but cant exactly recall as I would have been shifting few things around at the time. Maybe another 4.8 user recalls this pop-up coming through. 
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Jack 1000

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 08:15:51 PM »
The thing is,

I don't know anyone that has both program upgrades and definition updates set to Manuel.  Starting to think that the message the OP is getting has been set by Avast as an emergency over-ride update notice other than the regular "New version is available" message.

Jack