Author Topic: ais 5.0.418 Sorry to say this!! I lost my 4 years of trust on avast 5..  (Read 9575 times)

bala_avast

Im really sorry to say this... my net connection started to disconnect very often in the latest 418 build again. If my browser is idle for more than a minute or so, the net disconnects none of the page will oen i have to connect again to browse the web, i thought this bug was in one of the beta builds and now it would be solved. Even the 396 build didnt had this problem....

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
Re: ais 5.0.418 Sorry to say this!! I lost my 4 years of trust on avast 5..
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
wait friend here in my country we have some internet connections error from about one week so may you too have those error"until now ais run smoothly on my system"
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

bala_avast

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »
my internet connection is perfect when avast is disabled :( specially the 418 build. Tested it for more than 3 times.

bala_avast

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:17:44 AM »
am i the only one having this problem or what??? People having similar problem pls share your opinion

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:27:37 AM »
No connection problems here, other than being on a rubbish dial-up connection that has nothing to do with avast but my ISP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Cako

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:52:10 PM »
am i the only one having this problem or what??? People having similar problem pls share your opinion
I think you're right.
after I installed the (avast free )version 377.396 and 418 in my sister's PC, the Internet falls all the time.
not every 3 minutes is from time to time.
takes minutes or up to 9 hours to fall.
she's crazy to kill me.
see this photo,the first icon is the internet connection the other is the pc.
what happens is that,the two icons disappear and reappear after a few seconds, and soon after they reappear the Internet connection drops.
I think that may be conflicting or something.
the Internet is by modem but the connection is made by a dialer on the PC.
connection of 200kb.
its not a problem in the modem or network, I could be wrong but I think it can be avast.
on my pc I dont have this problem,my modem is routed end avast dont breaks the connection.
my sister's PC windows xp sp2 / pemtium 3 (2.3) / 500MB RAM
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:57:45 PM by Cako »

Sm3K3R

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »

my sister's PC windows xp sp2 / pemtium 3 (2.3) / 500MB RAM

You would better install SP3 along with the other 40 updates released after.
I m sure Avast team tests on fully updated systems.
SP 2 is outdated and so the amount of RAM that your sister machine has.
If you cant afford XP as an OS go for some linux distribution (Mandriva for example).

Hally

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 02:58:31 PM »
Hi  :)

When I was using - Avast 4.8
The little blue globe ( Showing Net Connection ) used to constantly disappear from the Taskbar  :'(
In Fact!
During the last few weeks of using Avast 4.8 .. The problem had become so bad... Globe was disappearing every few seconds  >:(
Opening a browser or webpage used to bring back the globe icon and the internet connection.

For the last week I've been trying out MSE on both... Laptop & Desktop
Although I really dont like MSE ... Didn't once have Internet problems while using it  :)
Desktop still has MSE installed.
Laptop has Avast 5 installed as of yesterday afternoon.

Re: Laptop - & - Avast 5  8)
As soon as Avast 5 was installed I noticed the vanishing globe problem was back  ::)
Although - So Far! ... Not as Bad!  :D
It's vanished approx 8 times since yesterday afternoon when I installed Avast 5
Browsing did seem slow for the first 5 min of installing Avast 5 .. But After That ... Fine!

The Only Thing That's Really Upset Me Today - & - Really Think Was A Coincidence!
My Internet went completely OFF this morning.
My son got booted of his Xbox

Trouble Is...
The Laptop with Avast 5 wasn't even turned on  ???
So! .. Don't See How It Could Be Avast's Fault!
More likely something to do with my next door neighbour... Long Story!  ::)

What I Don't Understand!
I always knew there was a slight problem with Avast and the Internet with - Avast 4.8
But when I mentioned it... No Problem For Anyone Else!  :-[
So How Come... People Are Noticing It Now?
Even though It doesn't seem even half as bad as it was with Avast 4.8  ???

Thanks!

Hally

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:53:51 PM by Hally »

bala_avast

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »
Me too using my 2mb broadband in dial up mode so that i can connect and disconnect easily.

cyberqtf

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 04:03:07 PM »
I haven't tried the most recent versions of avast 5.  I tried to update from 4.8 with an earlier version of avast 5.  I had been happily using 4.8 on my Windows 7 netbook, but when I moved to version 5, I found I could no longer access the Internet.  In my case, there proved to be a serious conflict between Avast 5 (free) and Outpost Firewall Pro, a conflict that didn't exist when I was using 4.8.   Since I had paid for Outpost, and since lots of people were reporting problems with Avast 5, and since my installation of 5 had wiped out version 4.8, I decided to stop using Avast, at least until more of the bugs are fixed.  I replaced it with Microsoft Security Essentials.  That's working fine with Outpost Pro and with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro real-time protection.

hyjaxltd

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 04:45:43 PM »
Hi   :)

When I was using - Avast 4.8
The little blue globe ( Showing Net Connection ) used to constantly disappear from the Taskbar  :'(
In Fact!
During the last few weeks of using Avast 4.8 .. The problem had become so bad... Globe was disappearing every few seconds  >:(
Hally
If this is what some of you are referring to 'dropping your internet connection'; this is not exactly correct.  This is actually part of the security of Avast!.  I will take a guess that your Windows FW and the Avast FW are both set to "High Risk" profile.  I will try to explain, but please excuse my lack of techno terminology...rednek for life ;D

What is ACTUALLY occuring is your NETBios is being completly blcoked.  You should have no problems when you click on your IE,or whatever browser you are using, and connect just fine.  Whats so bad about Avast (and Windows) making your PC ONLY do internet actions upon the LOCAL users request?  Maybe its the whole learning something a little new making some of us frustrated, but its good for us so YAAAY!

This plagued me in backing up my PC to my www.onlinestoragesolution.com.  I was able to map my backup network drive just fine, but due to the REAL security Avast! was providing at 'High' setting, my lareger transfers were not finishing (erroring at end of transfer) due to neededing to verify the file on my end, yet my 'network' was closed, as far as an outside source could determine.  The error was from Windows, not Avast and I have solved it by relinquishing some of my normally preferred settings; ie, I lowered Avast setting until I know more about 'Expert Settings' so this doesnt cause problems in the future.

If this helps ANYONE understand what some of these may be experiencing, turn it into tech talk please.  Let us know how to get past this ENHANCED new type of seecuring our connections.

Thank you Alwil for another OVER THE TOP product 8)

BTW...unless you email them and tell them I sent you, I aint gettin nuthin for the link above...its juist sharing a GREAT deal with a forum I appreciate...I got 4TB mapped right now :o

hyjaxltd

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »
Im really sorry to say this... my net connection started to disconnect very often in the latest 418 build again. If my browser is idle for more than a minute or so, the net disconnects none of the page will oen i have to connect again to browse the web, i thought this bug was in one of the beta builds and now it would be solved. Even the 396 build didnt had this problem....
Bala,

I can see that your problem is not the same, please give the techs some more time to address what you are experiencing... :-[

...strange problems like this is why I disabled my 'scirpt shield'

Hally

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 05:14:26 PM »

I'm Using Avast 5 - Free! ... Don't Have The Avast Firewall

I'm Not Using... Windows Firewall
My Firewall... PC Tools Firewall Plus  8)

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the Avast Web Shield that causes the problem  :-\

All I Know!
The problem started as soon as I installed Avast 4.8 on my Laptop & Desktop - 12 Months Ago
There was a 3 week gap between me installing Avast 4.8 on... First - Laptop ... Second - Desktop
So! .. I know that it was Avast 4.8 causing the problem  :(
The problem seemed to get much worse as the year with Avast 4.8 went by.
The last 3 weeks were really bad  >:(
Installed MSE on... Laptop & Dektop .. Problem Gone!
Installed Avast 5 on my Laptop .. Problem Back!
However! ... No Where Near As Bad!  
Yesterday - My Internet Globe Icon Disappeared from the Taskbar about 8 times ... Not Too Bad! ( Certaily not as bad as Avast 4.8 )  ::)
Today - My Internet Globe Icon Disappeared from the Taskbar - Just Twice! ... So Far!
Note!
The second time was as I was typing this post.
As you can see...
I've still been able to finish my post  :)
&...
I'm Still On The Internet!

Not a huge problem so far with Avast 5 .. Just a little Niggle!  ;)

Hally
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:17:04 PM by Hally »

hyjaxltd

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »

I'm Using Avast 5 - Free! ... Don't Have The Avast Firewall

I'm Not Using... Windows Firewall
My Firewall... PC Tools Firewall Plus  8)

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the Avast Web Shield that causes the problem  :-\

All I Know!
The problem started as soon as I installed Avast 4.8 on my Laptop & Desktop - 12 Months Ago
There was a 3 week gap between me installing Avast 4.8 on... First - Laptop ... Second - Desktop
So! .. I know that it was Avast 4.8 causing the problem  :(
The problem seemed to get much worse as the year with Avast 4.8 went by.
The last 3 weeks were really bad  >:(
Installed MSE on... Laptop & Dektop .. Problem Gone!
Installed Avast 5 on my Laptop .. Problem Back!
However! ... No Where Near As Bad!  
Yesterday - My Internet Globe Icon Disappeared from the Taskbar about 8 times ... Not Too Bad! ( Certaily not as bad as Avast 4.8 )  ::)
Today - My Internet Globe Icon Disappeared from the Taskbar - Just Twice! ... So Far!
Note!
The second time was as I was typing this post.
As you can see...
I've still been able to finish my post  :)
&...
I'm Still On The Internet!

Not a huge problem so far with Avast 5 .. Just a little Niggle!  ;)

Hally

Okay, as I said, I dont know for sure.  maybe its about your PCTools FW setting.  Try and take the peices that count and leave out the names...Im not sure but I noticed this happening after Vista SP2 regardless of installing Avast or not...maybe its a windows update thing if a users FW is set to block NETBios.  Im not entirly sure anmd taking some guess' here.

I do think its partially normal, if you will.  Have you opened your browser when your icons dont have the globe on them.  This will tell you if its ALL AVAST or something Iv noticed without any security product since XP SP3 and Vista SP2.

Hally

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 05:48:47 PM »
Hi  :)

The last few weeks of using Avast 4.8 - Basically Went Like This...

Go to a Website  - Start reading the Website - Icon Gone! ... Click on another page, website or link - Icon back! ... So On - & - So On!  ::)

Sometimes the little globe would vanish from the Taskbar while the computers were just showing their desktop.
Click a Browser... Globe Icon Back!

Installed MSE .. Vanishing Globe Icon Problem - Gone!  :D

Since having Avast 5 on my Laptop...
The Internet Globe Icon - Just seems to disappear at random times  :-\
Still...
Opening a Webpage or Browser.. Brings Both - Icon & Internet... Straight Back Again!  :)

Hally