Author Topic: Call to action: problems after upgrading from v4.8 to 5.0?  (Read 18803 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Call to action: problems after upgrading from v4.8 to 5.0?
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »
Guys,

some of you are reporting some v5 related problems when upgrading from v4.8.

This is not such a wonder, given that we're currently doing over 400,000 such upgrades a day (so even if it worked in 99.9% cases, for example, it would still fail for 400 people a day).

Now, we'd really to know what's going on on these problematic machines.

To start with the analysis, it would be very useful if you could send us the setup log which contains all the information about the update.
The file is usually located in the

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup

folder, and is called setup.log. You can either attach it here, or (even better, or if you're concerned about privacy) send it to my email address (click the envelope icon below my picture).

Thanks much for your help,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

cazoza

Re: Call to action: problems after upgrading from v4.8 to 5.0?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:05:32 AM »
Here you have Vlk, i have been telling u about this problem, since v5.0 first build, so here is my setup log from 5.0.415. Hope this can help u to solve this issue. Take care, i only have problems when upgrading 4.8 pro to 5 pro.

Peter Koster

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:27:59 AM »
Sorry, only found an empty file called setup.ini (maybe because I uninstalled avast 5 already).

fixitmanmc

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:19:27 AM »
I can't get the free 5.0 to start from the fix now or start program buttons. The hourglass spins momentarily and quits.

awright3

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:54:26 AM »
tried "start program", "fix now", unistall/reinstall, repair, update, and start service from control panel-adminstrative tools several times.  Nothing seems to work.

pvmmvp

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »
see my post in topic This Might Help

Rob van Veggel

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:40:24 AM »
I have the same problem, though with a variation. I run Avast free edition on a PC with Windows Vista and one one with Windows XP. The one with Vista runs without problem, the one with XP has the same problem on which people write (program doesn't start, I reinstalled it twice, I did the repair etc)

Rob van Veggel

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »
here is the set up log. I did a restoration before installing Avast again. But the same problem persists.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »
No problems (with 418 -- yet) here , but ....

Apparently in v5 we're back to the old days, and the setup.log files once again are continuously increasing in size, suggesting that I go back to my old habit of periodically editing them down to just the last couple of weeks or maybe a month.

If a problem should now mysteriously arise, would you need the whole (i.e., untrimmed) setup.log?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

psw

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:43:14 AM »
@MikeBCda
But avast! has a setting defining max size of any log file (4096 Kb by default). Or current size of your setup.log is greater than this value?

physicsguybri

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 10:53:31 AM »
FIREWALL WON'T START!! ???

So far 2 of our 4 PCs have accepted the AIS 5.0 package without problems. They are very comparably configured and use RealTek eth adapters. My trouble system uses a Marvell Yukon eth adapter and I suspect the problem has to do with that. The log file shows errors when dealing with the service: aswNdis2.
I just sent technical support a full description of my "firewall not starting" problem and attached the setup log file. Hopefully they can find a solution soon.  When they do, I will post back here in case others are having the same problem.

Cheers!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 11:47:14 AM »
physicsguybri, did you have any other 3rd party firewall before AIS? Did you run AIS beta previously?
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:52 PM »
@MikeBCda
But avast! has a setting defining max size of any log file (4096 Kb by default). Or current size of your setup.log is greater than this value?
Maybe it's been changed in v5, but in 4.8 and earlier that setting didn't seem to apply to the setup log, just the warning logs.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

borwin

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
Hi there,
strange behaviour on my notebook.
I have XP, office 2007 and Internet Security 5, and when I'm triyng to save a Word document nothing happens... nor save neither save as.
In Xp when you do a search for a file or folder the pop-up window to digit the filename does not come out.
Removing Avast everithings goes fine.
Any clue?
Thanks.

klincicome

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »
I upgraded and now it says the "Trial period can not be activated.  Check that you are connected to the internet and your proxy setting are correct".  I am and they are.  It also does not recognise the license.dat file as a License key. I went from free 4.8 to Internet Security Pro 5 on a Windows 7 laptop.  Any ideas of how to fix this and get what I paid for?