Author Topic: Call to action: problems after upgrading from v4.8 to 5.0?  (Read 18798 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Call to action: problems after upgrading from v4.8 to 5.0?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

jlr

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 07:28:21 PM »
Just installed avast new version (upgrading to pro after using the free versions for several years) and windows (I'm using xp 2) freezes on the "Windows is starting" page

YoKenny

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »
@ jlr

Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been available for over a year and a half that provides many Critical Updates and performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

nuz

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 08:56:26 PM »
I hadn't heard a database update notification after installing v5, so I checked the systems sound folder. Windows still points to the old Avast4 directory for sounds, which was of course deleted by the new installation. I've manually set it to point at the new sounds (in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5 for anyone else in the same boat), but it might be something to correct in the new installer.
Incidentally, the new "blip" is a lot less informative than the old "virus database has been updated". Are these the final sounds for v5 or will they be updated?

klincicome

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 05:02:13 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

How will this fix the "License.dat" issue.  This is the reason I can not register.  I was not provided the License key in the proper format for Avast 5.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
Have you not sent Vlk and email with the information he requested in the very first post of this topic ?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55739.msg470844#msg470844
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Saul Luizaga

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 12:39:33 AM »
I had Avast! 4.8 latest updated, after uninstalling it and installing Avast! 5.0.418 and rebooting, all good but after the seconf reboot 'SeaMonkey.exe' couldn't be executed, I uninstalled SeaMonkey 2.0.2, but 'SeaMonkey.exe' remained but I couldn't delete it, I made a 'chkdsk' on all partitions, twice (one in Safe Mode), I downloaded Avast! 4 & 5 Cleaners, I used 4 Registry Cleaners (COMODO System Cleaner, CCleaner, ERUNT and Advanced System Care PRO), I even defragged C: to see if it was a NTFS issue but no, all ran OK but I still can't Install SeaMonkey 2.0.2. Files are copied to the disk but 'SeaMonkey.exe' is not created nor the SeaMonkey's user profile (%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Profile\xxxxxxxx.default).

Could this be my system or Avast! 5 glitch?

Thank you.

Hugh Thomson

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 07:39:07 AM »
After upgrading to Avasv Ver 5 I lost the ability to access POP and SMPT server of my ISP it turn out that Avast has placed a filter on both and the email client thinks that it needs SSL but since SSL is not enabled it wont connect. The mail server does not use SSL. It works ok if I disable the POP and SMPT checking but the old version had no problem filtering the emails.???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 03:32:17 PM »
The email client doesn't think anything, it just does as you tell it.

I would suggest this seems more like firewall blocking, but I can't say for sure as you haven't posted the complete error message ?

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and try to check your email, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hugh Thomson

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 07:21:38 AM »
When I was trying to find the problem I turned off the firewall. The error message was as follows
Unable to send or receive messages for the Aanet.com (hughthomson) account. The e-mail server returned an error.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR Cannot establish SSL, SSL_connect error 38
Server: 'mail.aanet.com.au'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC90
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

SSL was not turned on in the protocal settings and the SSL cache was cleared but the error still persisted.
It was not until I went into Avast mail scan/expert setting and unticked the scan POP3 and SMPT
that I was able to get may email running again. (I had tried a few email clients I have and all behaved the same way same error. I am using Windows Live at the moment. It is working fine at the moment with firewall turned back on but if I retick the expert setting in mailscan it causes the same error. It is quite consistent.

KatznCohen

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 09:03:38 AM »
Switch to Avira Free and forget about it. This has been going on for 2 months.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 03:56:57 PM »
When I was trying to find the problem I turned off the firewall. The error message was as follows
Unable to send or receive messages for the Aanet.com (hughthomson) account. The e-mail server returned an error.
<snip>
SSL was not turned on in the protocal settings and the SSL cache was cleared but the error still persisted.
It was not until I went into Avast mail scan/expert setting and unticked the scan POP3 and SMPT
that I was able to get may email running again. (I had tried a few email clients I have and all behaved the same way same error. I am using Windows Live at the moment. It is working fine at the moment with firewall turned back on but if I retick the expert setting in mailscan it causes the same error. It is quite consistent.

Open the Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts, and confirm that the accounts that don't use SSL have None set in the Encryption column. None of my email accounts require SSL and all are reported in the settings mentioned as Encryption, None, see image.

Once you have confirmed they are set at None or reset them to None, enable scanning again and click OK to accept the changes. Check to see if that resolves the problem.

stansfield

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 04:57:15 PM »
I also have a serious problem after upgrading from 4.8 to 5.0.418.

In my case, Avast disables everytime the computer goes to sleep or even turns off the screen, so everytime I leave the computer for several minutes, I have to turn Avast on again, as I have the message that "Avast! antivirus program has been stopped, or is in an inconsistent state.".

And when I do press Fix or whatever, everything seems to turn back on, but I still get a message saying sth like "the following components could not be started: [and a list of all the components here, mail, IM, p2p etc]".

If it's not fixed soon I will have to uninstall it and go back to 4.8 I guess :/

Please help!

(I'm running Win 7 Ult 64-bit on a ThinkPad X61t)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:25:10 PM by stansfield »

yongsua

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
Since I had upgraded 4.8v to 5.0v.I got some problem about my updates and I am using broadband.Do anyone teach me?

Saul Luizaga

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 01:07:43 AM »
This doesn't even look like a beta, looks more like an premature Alpha.

I like Avast! but since it has MIllions of paying users this is a lack of interest by ALWIL Soft, because they have the money hence the resources to fix this and realease it the right way; if this continues, well, I'm going to do as someone suggested to go Avira since now offers the same features in the FREE Ver.