Author Topic: avast! Community IQ vs Norton 2010 Insight  (Read 7575 times)

ioyuioynx

avast! Community IQ vs Norton 2010 Insight
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:54:03 AM »
I have used Norton Anti-Virus 2010 and it has a feature called Insight that deals with new unknown files by looking at how the rest of Norton users dealt with that file. If most users said it was unsafe, it was regarded with caution and if most users said the file was safe, it would be regarded as safe.

Also, you could opt out of Norton Insight, meaning it won't upload any details about your system or files, but you still can use the community approach and still get all that Insight feature working.

How does the avast! Community IQ work in comparison?

It seems to me that Avast just uploads any suspicious file automatically to Alwil and that's about it. It doesn't help users figure out if the file is dangerous or not.

Also, you have to have the feature enable to get any of the benefits, unlike Norton Insight mentioned above.

So in total, is that feature useful at all in the way ir currently works? Or does it need a change in the way it works similar to Norton 2010?

ArtemisF0wl

Re: avast! Community IQ vs Norton 2010 Insight
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:32:20 AM »
I might misunderstand the way it works, but I don't really think the information collected is intended for use by end users directly, but aimed more at aiding the Alwil team protect everyone in the community faster. I switched from NIS2010, to Avast! . I still have 500+ days subscription left with them which i won't ever use.

Does it need A change? I have no idea, but there are some sharp minds behind the Avast! product, and i'm sure its been thought through pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:05:12 AM by ArtemisF0wl »

ioyuioynx

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:16:32 AM »
I switched from NIS2010, to Avast! . I still have 500+ days subscription left with them which i won't ever use.
Why did you make the switch from NIS2010 man?

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:00:05 AM »
eh, I'm not sure if i am supposed to talk about other products here, but i guess it can be deleted if it's not welcome. There's nothing wrong with NIS2010, I actually like the Av itself.  That said, I don't think Norton is better than Avast! in any respect. Avast, in my experience, gives equal to or greater than the level of protection i got from NIS. I've never had a problem with either product really; I guess its just a matter of personal taste and what makes you feel more protected. The Norton firewall is rather puny imho, that's the only bad thing i can say about it.

ioyuioynx

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:20:20 AM »
eh, I'm not sure if i am supposed to talk about other products here, but i guess it can be deleted if it's not welcome.
Why not? This is a forum after all, and we should have the right to talk about any products we wish.
Thanks for giving me your reason. So it seems that the Nortons Firewall was your main issue. What firewall you using now?

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:42:58 AM »
I just meant that since i'm just as new as you are here, i probably shouldn't talk too much about other products-good or bad...   but anyway, I use Agnitum Outpost Pro on my laptop and Comodo  on my desktop.  Both computers use Avast for AV. 

Yes my main issue was with the firewall, like i said its pretty weak compared to some others (even free ones)

hyjaxltd

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »
NIS...DrWeb...EST...

I live Avast!  ;D

norel

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:47:24 AM »
What I've read about avast! Community IQ is that they take the data received from end users and analyze it to weed out what's truly dangerous from what's not. I don't know how Norton does it but I would hope it's something similar. :)

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 11:19:59 AM »
@ norel

I hope the people that use Norton don't come here and lower the Community IQ here.  ;)

Hally

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »
Hi  :)

When I was using - NIS 09
It spent more time uploading info from my computer - Than it did protecting it  ::)
I started to feel like Symantec owned my computer.

Hated.. NIS 09  >:(

Luckily I got rid just before they dished out the - Ask Toolbar    :o

Hally

pinnacle

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
oh yeah, all i did when i had NIS 2009 was, ....restart....restart....restart....restart....restart... oh and by the way.... restart. what a joke