Author Topic: Avast 5 users...  (Read 5363 times)

bhelm22

Avast 5 users...
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
Is anyone having a relatively bug-free experience with version 5? I realize that this is a support forum so most of the users posting here are having problems.

I have a bunch of friends and family that I was highly recommending Avast to and advised them to wait to upgrade to version 5 for now. After using 5 myself and experiencing a ton of bugs and problems, it is going to be very hard for me recommend to any of them to keep Avast as I will no doubt be the one fixing their computers!

So please let me know if you are having a trouble-free experience with version 5!

dabeniao

Re: Avast 5 users...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »
Haven't experienced any trouble since the 396 version.

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Cheers.

sded

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »
No significant problems since very early betas, on two Vista computers and an XP SP3 machine.  If you look at Vlk's estimate of 400,000 updates/day at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55739.0, plus all the new users who read about it and then decide to try it, looks like the residual problems are being worked and the number is small.  But there are still a few outstanding issues that weren't discovered and fully explored in beta testing and the initial deployment, so I believe imaging your system with something like the free Macrium Reflect is a good idea before a full commitment to any new product like Avast! 5 that really integrates into your system.  And that you follow the removal threads on the forum carefully, and ask about your security configuration before you update in case there are any late breaking news flashes here.  IOW get to 99.999% confidence or better.  :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:24:40 PM by sded »

Sesame

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:07:46 PM »
You know, considering the average view counts, I don't think it's a good place to get stats.  How about going to the sites which have many traffics such as download.com.  At the moment, Avast! 5 Free gets 4.5/5 from 12856 votes.  I guess it's quite assuring number.  However, no one can predict what will happen on your system.  So, please make sure you do back up if you decided to install it.

gentle4ug

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »
No problems since .377 (Avast 5 Free) on 2 Windows 7 machines.  Both 32 Bit.  it has worked fine with MBAM free, Windows defender, and the Windows 7 firewall.  I'm confident in theis set up.

hpguru

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:11:49 PM »
Avast 5 IS (newest) no problem. See my statistics above my post.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 04:12:47 PM »
All buttery smooth here.
Sys specs see signature.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Hally

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:21:14 PM »
Hi  :)

I only installed Avast 5 on my laptop yesterday afternoon - So a bit too soon for me to declare... Everything Is Fine!

Installation was pretty much trouble free.
Although I had been careful to make sure there was nothing left over from - Avast 4.8
And...
I had been using MSE for the last week  ::)
Just to try it out - & - while I watched how things were going with - Avast 5

Installed Avast 5 - & - Avast 5 Automatically Updated Straight Away  :D
Then...
I tried to open Avast 5 via the Desktop Icon .. But It Didn't Open!  :o
Not sure if I had clicked properly - or - What  ??? ... I didn't want to try again  :(
So I waited a while .. Just to be sure it wasn't going to open.
Then! ... Restarted My Laptop!
Laptop Back On!
Gave it time to settle.
Double Clicked the Avast 5 Desktop Icon.
Avast 5 Opened! - & - Asked Me To Register!  ;D
So!
I clicked the Registration button .. Filled in the little form .. " Thank You For Registering "

Then I ran a Full Scan .. Everything OK!  8)

Re: The Internet problem that people keep talking about

I think it seems much better with Avast 5 ... Than it did with Avast 4.8
Well! .. At the moment it does!  :-\

Like I Said...

It's a bit too soon to say if everything is all hunky dory.
However!
So Far... Seem to be doing just fine with - Avast 5  ;)

Hally

Offline havildar

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 04:29:22 PM »
Windows XP sp3

Installed Avast 5.0.418 two days ago using the automatic uninstall of v4.8/ install v5.0.418 and reboot, which all went very smoothly.

Manual update wouldn`t respond until I rebooted again but since then everything`s been fine, even slightly faster than with 4.8, especially at start-up.

A marked improvemrnt in GUI, I think, much more user-friendly.
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

Hally

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »
Hi  :)

One Thing!
Wish the Avast Team would give us a proper full... Avast 5 - User Manual   :(
I really found the Full User Manual helpful with - Avast 4.8 
So!
I'm really hoping that it won't be long before we have a Full User Manual for Avast 5 too  8)

Hally