Author Topic: Avast Firewall : can't be turned on, x64 driver corrupted?  (Read 5501 times)

Crobial

Avast Firewall : can't be turned on, x64 driver corrupted?
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:12:38 PM »
Hi,

I have 3 computers with Avast 5.0.418 :

- One running Windows Vista Home Edition 32 bits, Avast Firewall is running fine.

- Two others running Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 and Windows 7 Professional x64, Avast Firewall doesn't run correctly.

I tried to install it manually by adding the service "avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Driver" into the network drivers but it can not be installed and I have this error :

"Could not add this requested component. The error is : There is no driver selected for the device information set or element."

Maybe the driver is corrupted or something.

Thanks.

Regards,
Crobial.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:14:18 PM by Crobial »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Firewall : can't be turned on, x64 driver corrupted?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:17:22 PM »
Have you tried avast repair and reboot?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:24:18 PM »
Crobial: could you please send me setup.log files from the machines where firewall wasn't installed properly? My path to setup.log is: "C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Setup.log". My email is: kurtin@avast.com.

I'd suggest you to not reinstall avast ndis drivers, because there're actually two of them: aswNdis.sys + aswNdis2.sys and the 2nd one is not installed via INF file.
Thanks.

Crobial

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I fixed the issue on the Windows 7 x64 by just uninstalling with the Avast removal and reinstalling it.

I tried the same way on the Windows XP x64 one but still have the same issue. I sent you the file as you requested.

Regards,
Crobial.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »
I can confirm that. If you upgrade Pro to IS, this process is done under service manager and ndis drivers (which are only present in IS) must be installed under current user. This will be fixed. Repair should help as well, because it's run under current user.

However, there's another problem with XP x64 and it'll be further investigated...