Author Topic: Potentially bizarre question: SD cards / setup.exe files  (Read 2532 times)

Agate Scape

Potentially bizarre question: SD cards / setup.exe files
« on: February 17, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »
Hi! I'm using avast! free 5.0.418 on an Asus eeePC with Windows XP SP3 (all updates). The one other security program that is constantly running is ZoneAlarm's free firewall (9.1.007.004). I recently noticed a strange phenomenon appearing when inserting (any) SD cards; I should add that all of these cards appear to be free of viruses as indicated both by avast! and Kaspersky Internet Security on another system. AutoRun for the SD cards (i.e. the standard Windows variant, suggesting different types of starting based on the file types on the card) usually works fine, but in one case, when I wanted to transport an installation file from one system to another by SD card, I noticed that Autorun wouldn't start.

After trying around a bit, I noticed that any .exe file placed in the card's root directory featuring the word "setup" anywhere in its name, be it a file called setup.exe or one called, say, 123setuptest456.exe (even just an empty text file renamed to setup.exe), would result in no Autorun appearing at all despite the lack of an autorun.ini file. I assume something somewhere on my system uses this as a type of protection; however, it just seems like such a strange and simple type of protection that I wanted to ask whether this might be a genuine option/feature of avast! or another program/Windows itself -- or whether it might be something entirely else? Thanks for any info!

(It also reminded me that deactivating Autorun in general might not be the worst idea. Still, this seems a bit weird.)

Agate Scape

Re: Potentially bizarre question: SD cards / setup.exe files
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »
No ideas, anyone? :-\

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:38:20 AM »
No idea, but a proposal.

Format one of the sd cards to make sure it's virus-free. Save a "setup.exe" file in the root.
Remove card.

Disable Avast, insert card.

We can than at least find out if this avast driven or system driven behaviour.

8)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Agate Scape

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:37:26 PM »
Alright, I guess in that case Avast doesn't really have anything to do with it, except if it somehow manipulates autorun routines beyond just the auto-protection? Also, what I wrote up there about the usual Autorun choice menu might have been a bit misleading; in fact, most (or all?) of those times I had tried earlier on, the Windows Explorer showing the files, not the choice menu, appeared, now that I think of it...? Anyway, I tried the test you suggested and then a few further ones:

formatted card with setup.exe in the root: no autorun, with or without Avast
random test.exe in the root (on its own as well as alongside a random new folder): Windows Explorer showing the card's content
setup.exe and random bitmap file in the root: autorun choice menu
setup.exe and random new folder in the root: no autorun

Agate Scape

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »
Alright, considering it doesn't appear to have anything to do with avast, does anyone have any suggestions where else to look/ask/what else might be of relevance here?