Author Topic: Script Shield vs. Web Shield?  (Read 11476 times)

loligoth

Script Shield vs. Web Shield?
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:00:41 PM »
I understand that Web Shield is available for the free version while Script Shield is not, but after reading the descriptions of their functions, it seems Script Shield is somewhat redundant and limited with Web Shield on? Web Shield scans all web traffic for malware which should include malicious scripts right? Also Web Shield works for all browsers, while Script Shield only works for IE on 32-bit systems, so is Script Shield really needed when we already have Web Shield? ???

hyjaxltd

Re: Script Shield vs. Web Shield?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:56:54 PM »
... while Script Shield only works for IE on 32-bit systems, so is Script Shield really needed when we already have Web Shield? ???
Would this explain why I have had so many issues trying to use script shield as Iv been on x64 OS since XP? 

I would have random pictures not display, links not aligned correctly, etc.  This time around I chose to install WITHOUT the script schield at all...ie. removed the option in installation.

Im back to feeling like Avast is the coolest thing since "yur mom" again... ;D

loligoth

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »
Any idea what's the use of Script Shield when Web Shield is already on?

hyjaxltd

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
Any idea what's the use of Script Shield when Web Shield is already on?
Being very uneducated in the actual processing of either engine...nope. 

From my 'scripting' days in the corps I could see this as being a necessity.  Its kinda comlicated without being complicated, but there are parts of a web page you dont actually 'load' but process the 'script' there within.  This day and age, Im sure its a useful way of making ads differ from one hit to the next..i dunno  8)

So essentially, the 'script' sheild, just like media player receives remote 'scripts' for certian playability factors, would insure that no 'script' would, for lack of a better analogy, be able to 'walk' past the web sheild  :-\

Even though the websheild seems to be much more 'bullet-resistant' IMO. :-*

Any logical, techiey type defintions  ???  This will only help others in deciding to use it or not, as well as helping the average user understand some things we otherwise might not get a chance to discuss...

Hally

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Hi  :)

Probably Wrong!  :-[

But I would imagine that the Script Shield would work a little bit like the Add-On for Firefox : No Script

And the only way I can explain it...

If you think of a website as just being the website you click on ... Nope!  ::)
Some websites are made up of many different layers.
So say you click on a website that contains loads of adverts  >:(
Those adverts ( Layers ) are from other websites.
And I guess it's possible that a virus loaded extra layer could be added to any website  :o
The Firefox No Script Add-On .. Blocks the extra layers  8)

So I would have thought that maybe Avast Script Shield either...
a) Scans the extra layers of a website.
OR
b) Maybe.. Blocks Them  :-\

Hally

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:19:46 PM by Hally »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:20:50 PM »
Script Shield is only good for Microsoft IE.
I think (not sure though) it deals with ActiveX scripting.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

hyjaxltd

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:22:45 PM »
So a longer term for it might be; "Script Overlay Sheild"?

Thanks for straightening my definition out... 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 06:06:53 PM »

Not entirely correct, there are two other supported browsers, Mozilla (not firefox) and Netscape.

Also the script shield isn't only for the internet but for off-line scripts such WSH (Windows Scripting) and presumably as you mentioned activeX scripts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hyjaxltd

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
Also the script shield isn't only for the internet but for off-line scripts such WSH (Windows Scripting) and presumably as you mentioned activeX scripts.
Since now I am running fine, installing without the 'script schield', could I start to assume that it could have been inteferring with my WinUpdate process? 

...but only for a place to start with my inconsistencies and the script shield. As an Avast fanboy I would love to nail down why my system starts acting funny when I have ever used the script shield(v4-5), and yea I know, what do I mean by 'funny' ??? ...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »
I wouldn't make that assumption, as has been said on so many occasions avast doesn't block but scans and alerts to infection and clearly that wasn't happening to you or I'm sure you would have mentioned it.

I don't believe windows update uses any obscure/special scripts to perform the update, plus if this truly were an issue with the script shield and windows updates then I'm sure many pro users would be screaming blue murder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »

Not entirely correct, there are two other supported browsers, Mozilla (not firefox) and Netscape.

You're wrong.
Quote from Avast website:

Script Shield

Detects malicious scripts hidden in internet web pages and prevents them from running and hijacking or potentially causing damage to your computer (Internet Explorer only, 32-bit only).
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »
It may well be correct as far as browsers are concerned as Netscape and Mozilla are rather old.

I'm sure the WSH one was previously mentioned as something that the script shield or script blocker as it was called covered. I don't know if that has been dropped in 5.0 but I would have though not.

Jon_T

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 05:37:18 AM »
FWIW from avast! 5 Help > Real-time shields ...
avast! antivirus 5.0 contains the following real-time shields:

Web shield - protects your computer from viruses while using the internet (browsing, downloading files etc). It will detect and block known or potential threats coming from the web e.g. hacked web pages infected with (potential or actual) malicious scripts. If a virus is detected while downloading a file from the internet, the download will be stopped to prevent the infection from reaching your computer.

Script shield - only in avast! Pro antivirus and avast! Internet Security. This detects malicious scripts and prevents them from being run. The script shield will detect and block not only malicious scripts coming from the web (remote threats) but also scripts coming from other sources, such as web pages saved to disk or in the browser cache etc (local threats).

Above bold of text by me, which is what DavidR basically noted as the difference between Web Shield and Script Shield.

runyon

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 05:51:11 AM »
I use kingsoft web shield

hyjaxltd

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 06:08:03 AM »

...Internet Explorer only, 32-bit only....

Nothing about any offline functionality, simply ONLY inside IE.  Its still coming from IE if its a stored web page...the script wont become active unless you open the stored page with IE..as far as Avast protection dictates, or ask them to update the web page information.