Author Topic: Malware (I think) problem  (Read 6302 times)

Scy

Malware (I think) problem
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »
Hey, people!

This morning, as I was getting ready to go to work and I checked my things in my computer, a little window came out telling me that there was some trojan virus in my computer. The icon on the taskbar looked suspiciously a lot like Windows protection, and it claimed to be some sort of antivirus that I had to upgrade in order to get rid of these virus. The thing is, I never have installed this so called antivirus and, instead, I got avast for a long time already. I tried to close the process, but it wouldn't let me open the task manager, so I restarted my computer only to see that it wouldn't let me get in safe mode, having a blue screen every time I tried. I restarted one more time, normal mode, and I could open the task manager before the process started, so I could close it. Well, I tried running avast, and it just froze, and then tried to enter avast homepage to upgrade it (I had version 4.x) since it didn't let me do it through the automatic updater, but it just didn't let me enter any of avast pages. I finally downloaded version 5, but it isn't working at all. It doesn't let me to install Spybot S&D either, so I'm kind of worried, a lot actually. Yes, I can work around now that I don't get bothersome little windows every 5 minutes telling me that I have some virus, but I feel so unprotected and don't really know what else I could do.

Anybody else got this problem? Any suggestions to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Malware (I think) problem
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »
First try this

Hitman Pro 3 - Second Opinion Malware Scanner http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro
How to start Hitman Pro in Force Breach mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6eRWTv2STk

Then
Have you tried Malwarebytes Antimalware http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
after install click UPDATE and run cuick scan, click on REMOVE SELECTED to quarantine anything found

come back and post scan log here

Spiritsongs

"Rogue" program !?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:01:44 PM »
 :) Hi :

Sounds like you have One of the many "Rogue" programs circulating on the
 internet . I recommend you start by trying to use the FREE "exeHelper"
 program available at www.raktor.net//exeHelper/exeHelper.com .
 Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.  Assuming you are successful in using this program, then you are
better prepared to try and use the FREE Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware without possible problems !?
This approach should be used in the vast majority of "Rogues" circulating
over the net; there are several "Rogues" where this Approach should NOT be
used, but you have NOT told us the "Name" of the "Rogue" !?

I do NOT recommend you use the work-in-progress "Hitman Pro" .

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:09:44 PM »
Looks like many forum members including Polonus does not agree with you

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55583.0

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Re: "Rogue" program !?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »

Hitman Pro is Quality and trusted products, all the techs have positive opinion about that. even MRG trusted it too.
there are very few Scanner which can fight those kind of rogue softwares which prevent running other .exe files and Hitman Pro with Force Breach technology is one of them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:24:33 PM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »
Why am I getting an error when accessing  the FREE "exeHelper" program  recommended by Spiritsongs on on: February 17, 2010, 03:01:44 PM ???

5/9/2010 5:26:14 AM   C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QAG8N57B\exeHelper[1].com [L] Win32:Malware-gen (0)

Is it a false positive ???

See:
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=49809

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:52:29 PM by Pondus »

billie jean

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 04:00:07 PM »
This sounds alot like the malware that I recently got, how I got it who knows, it is like this fake security and won't let you go on the internet or access your avast. I got rid of it by doing a system restore. I was very hard and I had to do it really quick 'cos it stops you accessing the programme. My advice is to log off and shut down your computer completely then restart it but you have to try and access your system restore before all your icons all load just keep clicking as fast as you can to access your system restore and if you can shut the fake security windows as they open at the same time it helps. I know it sounds hard but it is possible but speed is the key. Hope this helps you and whatever you do do not put any of your bank details in to buy this security!!!
GOOD LUCK

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:20:02 PM »
hm..I would recommend to backup works!!

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 09:02:54 AM »