Author Topic: Avast 5 and 4.8  (Read 3751 times)

rocozaur

Avast 5 and 4.8
« on: February 08, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »
Okay, so, after installing Windows 7, i suddently realized that Avast change their website. So i decided to download Avast 5.0 free. Took , it, registered it, aaaand, it has a few moments during the day, when it disables it's own shields! I do not want to wake up that I accidentally followed a wrong internet link and ended up with a virus, just because avast took a little nap! Is this a bug, or is there something else wrong? I know other people who said this was happening to them also. Once i wasn't able to start avast back at all. Usually if i right click the disabled avast, i start the interface and then "fix now" to enable the shields. Upon reactivation, before it , it says he couldn't start them...
So i want to go back to 4.8 until they fix this bug , BUT, where will I be able to find a license key for my free avast since I am not sure a new one for 5.0 might work. That is also a question i would like to find out an opinion :)

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5 and 4.8
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »
So i want to go back to 4.8 until they fix this bug , BUT, where will I be able to find a license key for my free avast since I am not sure a new one for 5.0 might work. That is also a question i would like to find out an opinion

you can get a new license every time you reinstall V5/free, don't worry about that. As to your bug, it's been reported by a few here already; I've seen this happen while running an early beta build, but not anymore for a while on my system...

Gort

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »
You can get your free license for Avast! 4 here:
http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:49:36 PM by Gort »

rocozaur

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »
I have installed avast5 on another 3 different computers, and shields do not deactivate. :( I have the latest update of avast, but the bug won't go away. And i have scanned my computer for viruses, and have none. :( I even have my partitions protected from autorun viruses :))

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »
and shields do not deactivate.
you mean you can`t turn off shield?

Deactivate = off
Activate = on

Have you tried avast repair and reboot?
For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

rocozaur

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:28:03 AM »
No no no, i am terribly sorry for the misunderstanding.
I meant that on 3 different computer avast doesn't suddently deactivate itself..like it does on my laptop :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:36:12 PM »
If Shields are being turned off:
1. Your computer is infected.
2. Your avast is not correctly installed (or have another antivirus running/blocking avast).
The best things in life are free.

rocozaur

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »
I have Malware Bytes Anti-Malware free, and i do a scan once a week, so it is not running when the avast shields are blocked.
Got no infection, i have scaned all my partitions with avast and malware bytes...registry and startup are crystal clean...  :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:48:55 PM »
I have Malware Bytes Anti-Malware free, and i do a scan once a week, so it is not running when the avast shields are blocked.
Got no infection, i have scaned all my partitions with avast and malware bytes...registry and startup are crystal clean...  :'(
So, option number 2 :)
The best things in life are free.